Imaging 2009 Phoenix
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Imaging 2009 Phoenix

Let's start thinking options! I try to take a few days extra when attending Imaging. Does anyone have suggestions for this next January?

Such as one-way flights in/out Phoenix/Las Vegas, then drive rental car between with stops at Grand Canyon, Sedona, or elsewhere? I once checked about car rentals, and one-way were far more money than returning to same as pick up site. Pheonix seemed less than Vegas. Thoughts, anyone?
    Before or after Imaging convention?

Does PPA of AZ have any thoughts? Or them in conjunction with PPA planners?

How far is GC & areas in northern part of state from PHX?
    Are day trips an option?

At this point - just listening - But we are not too early to plan!

Thanks, George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Default I'm no expert, but...

George,

I've been to Phoenix several times. Day trips are easily done. Once I took the two lane roads from Phoenix, up through Congress, Jerome, Red Oak Canyon, etc and ended up in Flagstaff at dark. It took all day to make the trip, I stopped so often to photograph the sights. The trip back to Phoenix on the interstate was two hours. I've been up to Winslow, the big ditch, etc. and the scenery in that direction is something to behold. The trip from Phoenix to Alburqueque is 6 hours. It took me two whole days to get there ( I had a meeting in Phx, and shot a wedding in Abq).

I've found that flights from the east coast to Phx round trip are much cheaper than a one way from separate airports. One way car rentals are higher too. If you have a couple of days, take the two lane from Phx to Flagg, spend the night in Williams and go to the big ditch the next day. From Phx I took 60W & 89W to Congress, then 89 back E to Jerome, Sedona, Re Oak, and eventually up to Flag. You can spend the night in Flag or take I40 a bit west and spend the night in Williams. That's where the scenic railroad up to the big ditch originates. From Williams it's a short trip up 64 & 180 to the Canyon or you can ride the train.

It's a heck of a scenic trip, and the geography and vegetation (or lack thereof) is so totally different than the east coast it's amazing.

HTH

Don Flory
    Manassas, Va.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by George Hawkins View Post
    How far is GC & areas in northern part of state from PHX?
    Are day trips an option?

At this point - just listening - But we are not too early to plan!

Thanks, George
    Hi George,

I'm sure there will be many suggestions regarding trips to the Grand Canyon. From Phoenix to the south rim of the Grand Canyon is over 450 miles round trip. That will put you in a car for six or seven hours just to get there and back. Possible as a day trip but a tough day. The good news is that sunset will be early in January so you might be able to get some golden hour photos and still be back in Phoenix at a reasonable hour. You can visit online at http://www.nps.gov/grca/

To get to Page in far northern Arizona, where you can find Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons, you'll be in your car for over 550 miles roundtrip. In the summer months these canyons offer spectacular photos opportunities (I've never been there in the winter) but that kind of drive would be really rough as a day trip. Still this is one cool place.

Saguaro National Park near Tuscon is about 250 miles round trip. This is an awesome smaller national park and the drive wouldn't be nearly as tough. You can visit online at http://www.nps.gov/sagu/ The cactus forests there are very photogenic (some might say even cliché' but I don't care) and this trip wouldn't be bad at all. Plus you could visit Tuscon on this same trip.

Fifty extra miles round trip lets you visit Organ Pipe National Monument in far southern Arizona. I have never been there but because of its climate if you're ever going then winter would be a good time. Their website is http://www.nps.gov/orpi/.
    Stacey West, CPP
    Loft Photography
    Ardmore, OK

Another great trip (about 130 miles round trip) is the Apache trail through the Superstition Mountains.

THANKS!

Let's get more people posting suggestions, because:

I am reminded that airlines will be raising prices, so we need to book as soon as we can decide on days to extend the trip. I am leaning to book a lower priced hotel room in PHX, taking day trips.

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Here are maps for two trips that have been suggested.

Trip one will take you from the desert up to the beautiful red rock country of Sedona. From there you will drive through Oak Creek Canyon and into the pine tree country, ending up in Flagstaff. If it's time to eat, go to Salsa Brava East. Coming back, you will stop at the Montezuma Castle Indian ruins. Fortunately, it's just a short walk since you'll probably be tired by then. The total mileage for this trip is 300. Start early!!!

Trip two will take you to Lost Dutchman State Park, up some winding mountain roads, to some Indian ruins at Tonto National Park. Returning the same way is a total of 168 miles. You can extend the trip by coming back a different route.

If you can only do one trip, I definitely recommend trip 1. If you can make it an overnighter, you could stay in Flagstaff and make the Grand Canyon on day 2. There are a lot of potential side trips and other places to see along the way, some have already been mentioned in this thread. I would call this trip a 'must see' for Arizona. You will see all of the different faces of the state, from desert to mountains.

There's just too much to see in AZ in a two days, that's why I live here . Stay a week instead. I guess, where to go depends on how much driving you want to do and if you want to stay overnight somewhere. Also, if you want to stay in areas where it is warm or if you want to go where it is cold.

Like others have suggested, if you're talking day trips and want to see classic red rock canyons head north to Sedona, but be prepared to see it with tons of others(Now you have to pay like $10 for a pass, just to park on the side of the road). If you like to fly fish as well as photograph, oak creek canyon is great for both.

Flagstaff is also great and of course there is the Grand Canyon, Wupatki national monument, Sunset Crater, and some other cool stuff. There is always a chance that the weather in Flag and at the South Rim will be quite cold and snowy and not the best for traveling in rental cars.

If you want cactus head south east to Tucson, where I live. There are two national parks(or one separated by a large city, depending on how you look at it), a very cool mission with unique Franciscan art, the desert museum(where you can pretend to take real wildlife photos). An 8000+ ft. Mt., called a Sky Island. A beautiful canyon, with a tram (for those who don't want to carry their camera equipment by foot), with a nice creek in it.

Still, this does not account for my favorites places in AZ. Havasupai is my absolute favorite (so far), but that's at least three days, plus twenty miles of hiking (totally worth it). Another favorite is Canyon De Chelle, classic Ansel Adams.

Default Center for Creative Photography

Something I forgot to mention if you do come to Tucson, the Center for Creative Photography. They have an archive of over 80,000 prints, hand printed by some of the best photographers. They have close to 3000 Ansel prints, and 3000 Edward Weston prints. The cool thing is, if you call in advance you can schedule a personal viewing. The staff will bring out boxes of matted prints of your choice into a room. You can take your time and look at them as closely as you want. They are not framed, so there is no glass to separate you from a print printed by Ansel himself. It's pretty cool and it's absolutely free.

If you're into native american pottery you can stop by the AZ state museum too. They have the largest collection of native pottery in the country (that's free too). There is also decent art museum, that's free as well. All you have to do is find parking, the university is very fond of giving out parking tickets.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chinn View Post
    Another favorite is Canyon De Chelle, classic Ansel Adams.
    Jacob, have you taken the Navajo tours into Canyon De Chelle? Also, have you ever been to any of the Hopi Mesas?
    Stacey West, CPP
    Loft Photography
    Ardmore, OK