Rules Available for International Print Competition

Exclamation Rules Available for International Print Competition

Rules and entry forms for the 2006 International Print Competition are available online now at competitions.ppa.com. The International Print Competition will be held in Daytona Beach, Florida from July 16-19, 2006. The Judges Workshop course will be held concurrently. Download the rules and forms:

If you had images accepted into the 2005 International Exhibition, those cases and images are being shipped this week. Cases are being returned via FedEx ground, unless your return address included a P.O. box, in which case they are being returned via regular U.S. post.
    Last edited by Gregory_Aide; 07-20-2006 at 04:40 PM.
    Gregory Aide
    Production Manager

Default questions about print competition

Hello: I'm a new PPA member. I'm a photographer and painter and will be entering the PPA print comp for the first time this year. Should Painter work go in the digital imaging category or can it go in the regular photography category?

I see in the rules for electronic imaging that the entrant must be the sole maker of the image. I have seen mention on this site of others who have entered "collaborative" images into competition where the photography was done by one individual and the painter work was done by another. Is that really allowed?
    I really don't see how it would be fair to an artist if a photographer earned something like Photographer of the Year with someone else's painting work... Do the judges even know that it's a collaborative work, or do they assume it's the entrant's sole making?

And what are recommended sources for a print case? Thank you- Kim
    Kim Treffinger
    Painter/Photographer
    Treffinger Studio
    www.TreffingerStudio.com

Kim,
    The competition you enter will depend upon the type of merits and PPA degree that you are striving to obtain.

If you enter the image in the photographic competition, and that image is accepted for exhibition, you will be awarded a photographic exhibition merit which can be used toward the Master of Photography Degree. If you enter the image in the electronic imaging competition, and that image is accepted for exhibition, you will be awarded an electronic imaging exhibition merit which can be used toward the Master of Electronic Imaging Degree.

The criteria for a photographic image is that the image must have been captured by the entrant. The image must not have been made under the supervision of an instructor. Any manipulations to the image must have been conceptualized and directed by the maker. The image is judged primarily on it's visual and emotional impact. To answer you question, yes, an artist could turn an acceptable image into a merit image, but the maker certifies that all manipulations were done under their directions. In this case, the artist is considered a tool, just like the camera, lens, and lab. Make a poor choice and you have a poor image. Give poor direction to the artist and try again next year.

The criteria for an electronic imaging entry is different in that the original image need not have been captured by the entrant. The entrant may use elements from one or more different images to create a new and unique piece of art. The image is judged more on the technical ability and level of difficulty to obtain the final image. Unlike the photographic competition, in the Electronic Imaging competition, images are taken down from the judging turntable an passed under the judges noses for close scrutinity.

The judging criteria for these competitions and the PPA Master degrees they represent are completely different.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Sincerely
    Don Mitchell
    Former PEC Administrator

Hey Greg,

I'm new to print competition and its rule. I just entered 4 prints to SWPPA regional last month and 3 of them scored over 80. There was a note explaining that in order to receive my merits, I have to enter those prints to the international print competition. Here are a couple of questions:
    A- How many prints per year can you enter for competition and receive merits for?
    B-When sending my 3 merited prints to international print competition, can I only send one additional print for judging or can I send 4 additional ones?

Thanks

Congratulations on receiving 3 seal of approvals. I am making a broad assumption that those images were entered in the photographic competition and not the Electronic Imaging of Art Tech competitions.
    You MUST send those three images to the PPA International print competition in order for you to receive those merits toward you Master of Photography Degree. If you do not send them this year, the seals will expire and they WILL NOT be treated as automatic merit images in future PPA print competitions.

You can enter a total of 4 images in each of the 3 PPA International image compatitions (Photographic, Electronic Imaging, Art Tech). I would advise you to send those 3 images that sealed and one other. It could be the same one you sent to the regional competition of a different image.

Again, congratulations and best of luck on that final image.

Sincerely,
    Don Mitchell

6. Default

Don is most correct. Congratulations on those seals. Don, great to see you posting here, you have been and are a wealth of information.
    Keep Grinnin', Buddy Stewart, PEC Vice-chairman

Default Which to enter and Approved Print Cases

I am a nature and fine art photographer and would like to enter 4 images this year.

I do not do much processing on my images, mainly color correction and or contrast/saturation adjustments, they are all by me, ect.

What category does non Portrait/Wedding work go in?

Also, where does one find out about and or get an approved Print Case to ship them to the compettition.

Thanks for the help!
    Mark Abraham
    Fine Art and Portraiture
    Now and Forever Photography
    http://www.nafphotography.com
    Mark@NowAndForeverPhotography.com

Hi Mark,

When you fill out the entry form, you will notice that there is a "Photographic Open" category. PPA did away with the wedding, portrait, commercial and unclassified designations years ago. Now, all images are judged on their merits.

Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Default Thanks Michael!

Now I just need to figure out what an approved Print Case is for Shipping.
    Mark Abraham
    Fine Art and Portraiture
    Now and Forever Photography
    http://www.nafphotography.com
    Mark@NowAndForeverPhotography.com

Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge