Getting certified, can I make it with landscapes mostly?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Getting certified, can I make it with landscapes mostly?

I have looked at a few people's portfolios that they have submitted for review and the overwhelming majority are portraits.

I shoot some weddings and portraits, and I do ok, but am still improving my craft and have a long way to go to get to the level of some of you.

My strong suit is landscapes and I wanted to know if I can get certified with few, if any portraits in my offerings?

Most likely, after this weekend when the committee meets. No.

Certification is a consumer driven credential. What good would it be to your customers if you can take pretty landscapes, but can't take their portraits properly? The judges of the images were already starting to see this as a problem and had brought this up for discussion at this weekend's meeting.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

You make a good point Michael. If I understand you correctly, the recent submissions had more non portraits than usual?

I think the committee is going to reinstate the "Statement of purpose" which used to be required with each image. The images will have to state what job each of the images were used for. Also, when you apply for certification, you are supposed to state your percentages of Commercial, wedding, portraits and fine art. The images you submit are supposed to reflect those percentages.

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber

I thought the submission images were to be whatever the photographer sold. If 100% of a photographer's business is non-portrait, isn't it ok to submit all non-portraits??

Yes, if that is what is stated in your application. But why would you want to get certified for that, unless it's small product advertising? I don't think being certified for landscape photography has any intrinsic value, since it is rarely commissioned work (unless you're trying to get bureau of land management commissions).

—Michael Gerber

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gan View Post
    Yes, if that is what is stated in your application. But why would you want to get certified for that, unless it's small product advertising? I don't think being certified for landscape photography has any intrinsic value, since it is rarely commissioned work (unless you're trying to get bureau of land management commissions).
    You bring up an interesting point. So I would guess that people like Moose Peterson, Frans Lanting, Art Wolf and the late Galen Rowell aren't certified. All of whom also do occasional outdoor commercial shoots. (Rowell shot the cover of one of David Lee Roth's albums, for example)

Then again, when you are that well known, your clients know who you are, and what you can do, so credentials like CPP aren't necessary, I guess.

Just trying to sort this all out and see if it makes sense for me to apply now, thanks for the replies and discussion.

Default Since ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Ninow View Post
    You bring up an interesting point. So I would guess that people like Moose Peterson, Frans Lanting, Art Wolf and the late Galen Rowell aren't certified. All of whom also do occasional outdoor commercial shoots. (Rowell shot the cover of one of David Lee Roth's albums, for example)

Then again, when you are that well known, your clients know who you are, and what you can do, so credentials like CPP aren't necessary, I guess.

Just trying to sort this all out and see if it makes sense for me to apply now, thanks for the replies and discussion.
    Hi Rodney;

Since PPA is primarily portrait, wedding, and commercial photographers ... it would make sense that those kinds of images would be what to submit. BTW ... who are those people you mentioned. (except for David Lee Roth ... I know who he is)

I didn't realize PPA was mainly portrait, wedding and commercial photographers, I thought it was for any and all professional photographers in America.

Surprised you have never heard of those four names, they are probably the most widely published and well known travel, wildlife and nature photographers in the world.

Frans Lanting

Galen Rowell
    Moose Peterson
    Art Wolf

Actually, Certification is available for all practicing photographers whether they are members of PPA or not. It is an independent entity outside of PPA. There is no "PPA Certified" anymore. Just CPP.

—Michael Gerber