Photographer claiming master status in marketing material..
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Photographer claiming master status in marketing material..

This is just wrong.. a PPA Member that suggests he is a master in his material, but yet is not. Who does this get reported to at PPA?

Default Call Marissa Pitts at PPA

Call Marissa Pitts, right away, at PPA. If this guy is not a Master of Photography he cannot list himself as such. There are too many years of learning and working that go into gaining that degree to have someone just dub themselves a Master. And since he would have had to 1st become certified ... does he also tout himself as a C.P.P. ?

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP, PPA C.P.P. Lisison, PPA Recon
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    Call Marissa Pitts, right away, at PPA. If this guy is not a Master of Photography he cannot list himself as such. There are too many years of learning and working that go into gaining that degree to have someone just dub themselves a Master. And since he would have had to 1st become certified ... does he also tout himself as a C.P.P. ?

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP, PPA C.P.P. Lisison, PPA Recon
    Spoke with Marissa.. As long as he doesn't say M. Photog or something along those lines, it's perfectly legal to say Master Photographer... Which sucks IHMO

Default I agree

Hi Jim;

That's just semantics. It still is aluding to the same thing ! If someone says they are a mechanic master ... it would make most people think they were a master mechanic. Just twisting the words around does not cut it with me. I'm still hoping, now that I called PPA Certification & Government Affairs about this, that pressure can be brought. As a PPA Member, he should know better.

I'm going to be interested to see how this progresses. Keep us apprised please.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr. Photog., ASP., PPA C.P.P.Liaison, PPA Recon

Default What's the context?

Let's not jump the gun here.... PPA does not have a patent on the word "Master"... It can be construed in a very general way to imply extensive experience, an academic degree, or some other self imposed definition. Do we know how it was used.... Let's get the facts before we send out our posse!..

HR
    Last edited by Herman_Robert; 02-10-2006 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling error

Hi Jim
    Does this photographer have some other sort of masters? I don't know of another type of Masters of Photography but there could be one. I know it is possible to get a Masters of Fine Art with a specialization in Photography from Indiana University in Bloomington Indiana. It is meant more for educators at the college level but I suppose someone could have that degree and rightfully call themselves a Master Photographer.

Default For Herman and David

The key here is that the guy Jim wrote about is a PPA Member. So, he knows that Master is a term to do with the highest Degree that PPA bestows.
    If he had a degree, from a college, in photography I seriously doubt a Masters would be available ... photography is usually a minor subject.

So, as a PPA member, this guy should voluntarily delete any mention of Master ... till he earns it. I'll shut up now and let PPA handle this.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP, PPA C.P.P. Liaison, PPA Recon

For poops and giggles, I've joined the photography degree at my school and yes, it's the major.

I have to agree with Herman, lets pump your breaks and let the man say whatever he is. PPA doesn't own copyright to any wording. Also, it says a lot if HE'S touting himself as a master photographer. The clients should be the ones saying this.

Default I must disagree ...

Jay;

Ok, so someone wants to say he's a Master Plumber ... that's ok ??? Or if someone says they are a Master Electrician, THAT's ok ??? They both require testing ... as does Master of Photography. To be a Master of Photography, a person has to get at least 13 merits from print competition plus 12 merits from going to classes and seminars. And they have to become Certified by taking an exam and also submitting 20 images of their work to determine if they were worthy of that distinction ... before they can get the Master of Photography Degree. I don't think all of that training and studying, as well as competiting and honing their craft, is the same as just declaring yourself to be a master ... with no criteria for it.

"I've joined the photography degree at my school and yes, it's the major" ... what does that mean? Did you mean that you graduated from a college and got a Masters Degree from that college?

If you are a new member of PPA, I suggest that you read about the degree programs.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP, PPA C.P.P. Liaison, PPA Recon

I had my client respond with the exact portion of his price list (which is the only place this text occurs..) Mind you, I've had this guy help me on 3 weddings this year and nearly fell off my chair when my client told me this.. He accidentally had left his camera on Av mode 1/2 the day screwing about 75% of the ceremony pictures up. Another day it was leaving the ISO on his camera at 3200 the entire day up to the reception. That is nowhere near close to master of anything in my book. Anyway, the text:

8 Hours of Wedding Coverage with Master Photographer