Hallmark Institute of Photography
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hallmark Institute of Photography

Hello all,

I recently heard about the Hallmark Institute of Photograpy. I wanted to know if anyone has gone to this school and found it to be beneficial. It sounds good, but we all know if it sounds too good to be true...

I was thinking about going there this fall. Does anyone have some first hand knowledge they could share? Is this school a PPA approved and merited education center?

Take a look for yourself at
    HTML Code:
    http//:hallmark.edu/
    Last edited by Darrell_Bingham; 02-09-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Default Absolutely!

You should absolutely go to Hallmark if you are thinking of becoming a professional photographer. I went there in 1985 and graduated and LOVED it. It is the hardest thing you will ever do but the most rewarding and will give you everything you need to be successful. They have so much more than they did when I went I wish I could go back. Go...........!!!!!!!

I give a lecture there at least once a year for many years and have taught instructors from around the country with Julianne Kost at a Digital Summer Camp, the last 2 years. One of the reasons that we teach the summer camp up there is that the facilities are some of the best in the country. Teachers, professors, administrators from other colleges and universities drop their jaws when they see the facilities, especially the digital labs. First rate.

It's in an out of the way area, which means few distractions, but it is in the "college belt" of Massachusetts. Lot of schools nearby. It's an intense 10-month program, that teaches nothing but photography and business. Nothing else.

They have also tightened up who they accept. It's not an easy breeze through school and their wash out rate is very low, because they really prescreen their students.

In short- great school.

Default Another Excellent school is ..

I don't know anything about Hallmark. But, an excellent school near Philly
    (Philadelphia) is Antonelli School of Art And Photography. The web site is at
    www.antonelli.edu . I personally know Bob Golding who is the print master for Professional Photographers of Pennsylvania as well as other competitions. I believe it's a two year school of nothing but photography. The phone number is (800) 722-7871 .

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog.,ASP, PPA C.P.P. Liaison, PPA Recon

5. Default Fantastic!

Yes...Hallmark is fantastic. I attended and graduated among the top of the class in 1981. I have been in business since 1983 and am still going strong.
    Hallmark may sound too good to be true...but it is true. Best of luck at Hallmark!

Scott Rogers

Default Hallmark Get's Two Thumbs Up From Me!

Hi Darrell,

I graduated from Hallmark in 2005. I won the Mamiya Award of Excellence which really blew my mind. We had so many talented people which Hallmark totally created.

I find it amazing that they can take 200+ students and some knowing nothing about photography or computers and turn them into pretty amazing photographers. The work that's created year after year is mind blowing.

It will kick start your career as it has mine. I'm still using every shot from my final portfolio to market myself here in Las Vegas and getting lots of work.

If you want to speak with me personally about my experience feel free to call on me at 702.238.6161

Warmest Regards,
    Wayne Wallace
    --
    Wayne Wallace Photography
    The Art of Imaging
    Vision - Passion - Creativity
    http://www.waynewallacephotography.com
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    (702) 518-9965 Studio

Professional Affiliations
    ASMP, PPA, HALLMARK '05 GRAD

"Do what you do so well - and so uniquely - that people can't resist telling others about you." - Walt Disney

My current assistant is a recent graduate of Hallmark. Feel free to call my studio and chat with her.

There's a part of photography that has to do with lenses and posing and lighting. And there's at least as big a part of photography that has to do with marketing, sales, running a business, dealing with babies or seniors or mothers of the bride. You won't find that offered in very many schools.

My two cents are the latter is more important than the former.

I wish I had worked for 6 months or a year for free for one or two photographers.

-David Schneider

I believe that Nate Weatherly, who posts on this forum regularly, just graduated from there. Check out some of his posts on here - I think he recently posted in the Seniors section - he's an amazing photographer.
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

Did Hallmark become an PPA Affiliate School?
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin View Post
    Did Hallmark become an PPA Affiliate School?
    I was wondering about this as well and asked. Affiliate schools are week long workshop schools run by non profit orgs.

So under those rules Hallmark does not qualify.
    --
    Wayne Wallace Photography
    The Art of Imaging
    Vision - Passion - Creativity
    http://www.waynewallacephotography.com
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    (702) 518-9965 Studio

Professional Affiliations
    ASMP, PPA, HALLMARK '05 GRAD

"Do what you do so well - and so uniquely - that people can't resist telling others about you." - Walt Disney