I joined a committee, am I crazy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I joined a committee, am I crazy?

I joined my State Affiliate less than a year ago and went to a few meetings when I could. After going to convention I made alot of new friends and last night at the meeting I was asked if I wanted to be on the committee. Basically I would be the person taking pics at our local meetings monthly. I thought I can handle that. I then find out I am required to go to a state meeting every other month. I am happy to serve and hope that I have not taken on more than I can handle.

Any thoughts from those who serve would be great.

Giving back is a wonderful thing!

Volunteer organizations need new people all the time to keep going. Start out with that job then consider others as time goes on. Print committee is a lot of work but very rewarding. These are great opportunities to make new friends and learn new things.
    Last edited by Don_Chick; 06-05-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Don thanks, I really love meeting new people and learning from others. I like the idea of being involved but I have to be careful. I run a business and a family and really have very little free time now. I am going to do it and see how it goes.

If you know in advance what your limitations are (and you do!) then you know just how much you can contribute. Don't let them pressure you to go beyond what you know you can do. Then its a win-win situation and enjoyable.
    Don

www.donchick.com

Noelle,

Many come and go and pay little attention to what it truly takes to pull off an event, a convention, heck even coordinating a raffle. I too used to be one of those people. For years I was happy to arrive, receive my goody bag, collect my room key, attend what ever I felt like and head out for the evening after...

This year I received the honor of being voted on to the state board on Illinois. I am the new Props Chairman. What does that mean? I'm still finding out. HA!

First in the room, last to leave, keep the equipment running, fix it when it breaks & make sure it doesn't grow legs, take care of the speakers needs, keep tabs on everyone in the rooms, beg and borrow from the vendors, and never let them see you sweat... Yep! That's what so far. I'm sure there's more!
    Last edited by John_Metcalfe; 06-05-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    john

Default Rewards ...

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Zaleski View Post
    I joined my State Affiliate less than a year ago and went to a few meetings when I could. After going to convention I made alot of new friends and last night at the meeting I was asked if I wanted to be on the committee. Basically I would be the person taking pics at our local meetings monthly. I thought I can handle that. I then find out I am required to go to a state meeting every other month. I am happy to serve and hope that I have not taken on more than I can handle.

Any thoughts from those who serve would be great.
    Hi Noelle;

I have served on a bunch of committees since I joined PPAofPa in 1978. I started on Print Committee. I served as Props Chairman when I served on the board of governors. (7 years on the board). I've helped on other commitees from time to time. I have served as Security Chairman for many years now.

You will get great satisfaction in giving back to your group. Watch how all the other committees function and start a short list on some that might be beneficial to you ... like print committee or props.

Default One good thing ...

Quote Originally Posted by John Metcalfe View Post
    Noelle,

Many come and go and pay little attention to what it truly takes to pull off an event, a convention, heck even coordinating a raffle. I too used to be one of those people. For years I was happy to arrive, receive my goody bag, collect my room key, attend what ever I felt like and head out for the evening after...

This year I received the honor of being voted on to the state board on Illinois. I am the new Props Chairman. What does that mean? I'm still finding out. HA!
    Hi John;

I was Props Chair for a number of years. One benefit is during boudoir and figure study programs. You get to move lights around and hold reflectors while watching the speaker work with the model. Lucky dude !!!

Noelle!

CONGRATUALTIONS on taking that next step within your association! You should be very proud of yourself as many people never take that next step and it truly is rewarding. Being the photographer at the meetings is a great place to get your feet wet! I started out as the librarian's assistant.

Have fun with it!

Nylora
    Nylora Bruleigh, M. Photog. Cr. , CPP, C.Ph
    Photography by Nylora-Bellies and Babies Photography
    2011 PPA Silver Photographer of the Year
    www.PhotographyByNylora.com

Bblog: www.BelliesAndBabiesPhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nylora Bruleigh View Post
    I started out as the librarian's assistant.
    And now she's President!!!
    Don

www.donchick.com

Thanks all!!

I do want to be involved as much as I can but there is always that fear of taking on way too much and getting burned out very quickly. That's no fun.