Anyone else taking the test in Oakland, CA on the 22nd?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else taking the test in Oakland, CA on the 22nd?

I just registered for it. I am doing a chapter (or two, if I am not fried) a night of the book between now and then, focusing on the questions Mark posted and the online study guide.

Any other good study tips? Would flashcards help, do you think? How much is logical and how much is rote memorization of terminology? I am paying to fly down, and paying for a hotel while I'm down there, so I want to be sure I'm not wasting my $$$!

Thanks!

Default You could ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Raker View Post
    I just registered for it. I am doing a chapter (or two, if I am not fried) a night of the book between now and then, focusing on the questions Mark posted and the online study guide.

Any other good study tips? Would flashcards help, do you think? How much is logical and how much is rote memorization of terminology? I am paying to fly down, and paying for a hotel while I'm down there, so I want to be sure I'm not wasting my $$$!

Thanks!
    Hi Anne;

As a C.P.P. Liaison, I'd like to congratulate you on going for certification.

Ideas:

Have a get together, with friends, and give each a whole bunch of questions (they can see the answers also). Each will ask a question and then on to the next. Even non-photographers would be fine.

Record questions on a CD and play in your car so you can study while driving.

Get to the exam early. For the last several I've given the photogs. were sounding questions off each other before the start time.

Good luck !

We can't help you for this upcoming exam, but each year, Northern California Professional Photographers, based in Walnut Creek, has a study group of around 10 members. So far, we have about 23 CPP's out of out 90 members. Our next meeting is Thursday June 12th. Let me know if you would like to attend, and I can issue you a pass.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Michael-
    Is that a one day thing or a multi-meeting thing?

They meet once a week for ten weeks, each person leading the discussion for each chapter. This has been including coming to my studio for a light ratio and lighting methods demonstration. I then proctor the exam in April after they have finished the 10 weeks. All but one have passed the written exam so far, with about 10 more to submit their images. We should have close to 30 ceritfieds by the end of the year.

Also, what's really cool is six or so of the certifieds have started a "Masters Study Group" and are helping each other out in preparing their PPA print comp images.

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber

Default Great idea !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gan View Post
    We should have close to 30 ceritfieds by the end of the year.

Also, what's really cool is six or so of the certifieds have started a "Masters Study Group" and are helping each other out in preparing their PPA print comp images.
    Hi Michael;

That's a great idea about forming a group for those aspiring to become Masters !!!

P.S. ... we have over 50 certifieds here in Pa. but we are a state group. I think it's terrific that you have around 30 in your size group.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gan View Post
    I wish there was something like that around here. Now that I've gotten my certification, I'd like to work towards my Masters, but haven't even been able to get a handle on what makes a competition print really stand out (in terms of viewing my own work), and didn't have time to try for this years Nationals (I got as far as buying a print case), but no images. I'd even spend the extra money if I thought I had anything comp. worthy, but at this point I'm just not seeing anything. And I really have no clue about the whole printing it darker issue either. A class would be great.

Anyone want to try to do an "Online Study Group"? Hint, Hint Michael!

Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

heh, always here

—Michael Gerber

Craig, those are great ideas! I don't drive all that much, but I could certainly create an mp3 to listen to while I'm proofing or something. I will definitely have a "Quiz Me" party, though. That sounds like a great (and fun!) idea.

Michael, that is very cool! I wish I lived close enough to come to the meeting, but I actually live in the Seattle area. The test date up here was earlier this year, and I was very, very sick, so I couldn't do it. But my family is in N. CA (Davis, to be specific), so I am flying down to do the exam and say hi to my family. You say your group comes together for 10 weeks and studies a chapter each week... the book has more than 10 chapters...are there some I should kind of skim and not concentrate heavily on?

Angela, once I get past the CPP exam, I would be very interested in your Masters group!

Good luck Anne, I an looking forward to meeting you in July.
    Paul Rogers
    M.Photog.Cr, CPP, F-PPANI, ASP

Tour of events:
    • May 1&2 / Extreme Weddings, Batavia, IL
    • May 12 / Illustrating Love, FVPPA, WI
    • June 22&23 / Oper. Residential Readiness, Romeoville, IL
    • July 22 / Escaping from the box, Fort Worden, WA
    • Oct 8 / Illustrating Love, SNAPP, NY
    • Oct 9 / Escaping from the box, Jamestown, NY