Masters Please Critique Comp Entries
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Masters Please Critique Comp Entries

Here are my four entries for this year's competition.
    This is my first PPA competition so any help I can get would be great.

The titles and framing aren't set in stone, so if you have a better idea, please throw it out there.

I'd like feedback from anyone that can help me, so you don't have to be a master to give CC.

1. "Which one of you clowns is responsible for this?!?!?"

2. "Excalibur" or "Arthur, the Rightful King" or "WD-40"

3. "Niche" or "Fitted Suit" or something else I haven't thought of yet.

4. "The Cost of Acceptance" or "Our Search for Happiness"

Last edited by Ben_Leavitt; 05-24-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    -BeN LeAvItT
    Photographer/Photoshop Fanatic
    www.leavittphoto.com
    Leavitt Photo Blog

Ben,

I've never entered comp, and don't know what the experts will say, but I really like the images. For the 3rd image - How about "Just trying to blend in".
    And for the 1st one, I really like the title, but some might say it needs to be shortened some. Or how about, "There's one in every crowd".

Just my .02 worth. You can ask for change if you like.

Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Ben, I'm no master but I think these are incredible. Laughed out loud!

You should do very very nicely. Are you entering these in Commercial?
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!

I only see two images that show any photographic skills...the 2nd and the 4th...the 4th is, IMHO, your strongest, and I would expect it to merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Millner View Post
    Are you entering these in Commercial?
    I don't know what categories to enter them in.
    Any ideas?
    -BeN LeAvItT
    www.leavittphoto.com
    Leavitt Photo Blog

No idea. Just the first 2 looked like they came from some sort of Commercial Shoot.
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!

Anyone else have any CC? ...... Anyone?
    -BeN LeAvItT
    www.leavittphoto.com
    Leavitt Photo Blog

Ben
    Very nice images
    To score well in PPA print competition you must do well in, not being weak in any of the Twelve Elements of a Merit Print:
    Impact
    Creativity
    Style
    Composition
    Print Presentation
    Color Harmony
    Center of Interest
    Lighting
    Subject Matter
    Technical Excellence/Print Quality
    Technique
    Story Telling

All images are strong on Impact
    1,2.and 4 have good story telling.
    The lighting in number one is flat but that is what I would expect in a board meeting with overhead fluorescents. The title is great.
    Image 2 - "Arthur" has great story telling. My question is why the blue hair light? Is it to signify "Royal Blue". I felt it was not needed. Also to make it a merit, something should be coming out of the WD40 can.
    Image 3 has an interesting technique but what are you trying to say other than here is a neat blending technique that PS can do.
    Image 4 is your strongest image and should do well. Good lighting. I would come up with a better title. "Defiance" or "Rebel with a cause".
    Good job for your first set.
    Good luck
    Gene Paltrineri, M.Photog. Cr. CPP

Image #1 - Great concept, interesting idea, good title; however, the lighting (imo) is what hurts this image the most. I think that this images needs more dramatic lighting as right now it's a bit uninteresting. Some of the subjects have "raccoon lighting, and I know that with florescent overhead lights that's what you get; however this image is made for competition. I think the bald head is distracting too. It's placed in an area that creates high contrast drawing attention away from the clown. I could see this scoring in the above average category but not 80 or higher.

Image #2, Again, great concept, interesting idea, good title; however, why the blue in the hair (which you've now removed!). I also agree that something should be coming out of the wd-40 nozzle. I would look very closely at the location the sword enters the stone and make 100% sure that it looks like it's actually in the stone. I find the concept interesting; however, this image isn't compelling to look at. I could be the boy's expression, the fact that its a studio image.. Something that I can't exactly articulate; however, I think it causes it to miss the 80+ category.

#3 You have another interesting idea with this one. The overlay (if it really is one!) looks good. The big thing I am left with from this image is "why"? There isn't a complete story here... I can't see the scene behind to know how to tie him in with it and he's just there. His expression doesn't keep me in the story either, he's just kinda there... The "why" leaves me with the impression that it would also miss the merit category.

#4 I think this is your strongest image. Very interesting lighting, graphic design, composition. I think this could score 80 or higher but don't see it scoring a great deal higher (as presented). What holds it from (imo) scoring real high is 2 things. 1. his expression. He has (in my interpretation) kinda a fight stance and yet he has a disinterested expression on his face (no fight in his eyes!). I would like to see his expression carried through. 2. His hands are visually the same or greater in visual weight as his face. The jewelry is also competing for my attention. You need to tell me what is the primary center of interest (with light and dark).. If it's his face then darken the rest. If it's his hands darken the other parts. Cool image!

Good luck and remember this is just one opinion! There will be 5 others on the panel..
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

I think #3 has a chance if the Judges understand Rene Magritte's "Son of Man" http://www.allposters.com/gallery.as...itte_rene.html

Personally, I love the concept of this one.

#1 needs more of a "Rockwell" effect on it.

#2 I would have liked to see the subject either more stoic, or more crafty/mischievious.

#4 Will probably merit, but I agree, it needs a little more of a "Darton Drake" edginess in the expression to bring it forward into the loan category.

How did these images do in your local and regional competition? I'd recommend you wait a year and test the waters out on at least the state and regional level so that you can get actual competition conditions.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com