Certified?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certified?

1. Default Certified?

In a yellow pages ad, that just came out today, one photographer prominently uses the PPA Certification logo. This person is not listed on the Certified Photographer website nor is the photographer noted as being certified on the PPA.com site. Does anyone know how long after certification it takes for this credential to be listed on these websites? Perhaps these credentials haven't "shown up yet" on the sites, maybe, but if someone isn't certified and yet advertises themselves as such what can happen?
    Stacey West, CPP
    Loft Photography
    Ardmore, OK

Default Call ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey West View Post
    In a yellow pages ad, that just came out today, one photographer prominently uses the PPA Certification logo. This person is not listed on the Certified Photographer website nor is the photographer noted as being certified on the PPA.com site. Does anyone know how long after certification it takes for this credential to be listed on these websites? Perhaps these credentials haven't "shown up yet" on the sites, maybe, but if someone isn't certified and yet advertises themselves as such what can happen?
    Hi Stacey;

Call Marisa Pitts at PPA and tell her. Or ... PM me the name and I'll contact her as a liaison.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey West View Post
    It's best to contact PPA only. Let them track down the details. I wouldn't want to be that photographer if indeed he isn't certified!
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Chick View Post
    It's best to contact PPA only. Let them track down the details. I wouldn't want to be that photographer if indeed he isn't certified!
    So what can/will PPA do? I have seen this a few times and have never seen anything done except for the person running the same ad for a number of years.

We had an instance, in our area, where someone was using the CPP title, on advertisements, displays and literature, without being Certified, not even a member of any Association.
    I called Al Hopper and PPA sent out letters.
    They pulled their brochures and printed new ones, without CPP, within two weeks.
    As for a phone book ad, you will have to wait for the next publication.
    Gene Paltrineri, M.Photog. Cr. CPP

It's an interesting question. There is a photographer in a town about 40 miles from me that claims to be "Your Mesquite Photographer" and they used to advertise that they were CPP. I never thought to question it.
    This thread got me moving and I just checked. They are not listed as CPP and in fact are not listed as PPA members even though they have the PPA logo on their website. They no longer claim to be a CPP that I can find.
    How should I handle this?
    Also is the PPA logo always supposed to be linked back to the PPA website?
    Cindi Delaney, future CPP
    We have no quarrel with those who choose to sell their wares for less.
    They know what their stuff is worth.

From a little sign that used to hang on the wall of my mother's restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi Delaney View Post
    It's an interesting question. There is a photographer in a town about 40 miles from me that claims to be "Your Mesquite Photographer"
    Too Funny!! In NH, Mesquite is something you get on potato chips!!

I've never read that the logo has to link anywhere (doesn't mean it doesn't have to, only that I've never read anything like that); however, if you are not using a PPA logo legitimately then PPA will make you stop (as soon as they know about it)....
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Yes Don, I know Mesquite is a type of wood used for barbecue in most places.
    Here it is the name of my town.

There is also a Mesquite, TX
    Cindi Delaney, future CPP
    We have no quarrel with those who choose to sell their wares for less.
    They know what their stuff is worth.

From a little sign that used to hang on the wall of my mother's restaurant

Default Not much ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi Delaney View Post
    Yes Don, I know Mesquite is a type of wood used for barbecue in most places.
    Here it is the name of my town.

There is also a Mesquite, TX
    Hi Cindi;

We don't have much in the way of Mesquite plants on the east coast. I have no idea what it looks like. I think we need an image so we get educated on it.

10. Default

I ended up speaking with Maria Matthews at PPA about this issue. She was very interested and asked me to email her a copy of the ad, which I have done. The photographer in question has been a PPA member for less than a year and is not even "a candidate" for certification. Pretty ridiculous, huh? At any rate, Maria told me this is a trademark violation. She said they would be contacting the photographer about this as well as the publisher of the yellow pages - she said they may have liability also. She promised to keep me informed as to the outcome.
    Stacey West, CPP
    Loft Photography
    Ardmore, OK