Selection of Presenters?

Default Selection of Presenters?

I was interested in what the process for being a presenter at the conference is? There were definitely a lot of great classes and I got a lot out of it, but I also realized that some of the things our studio is doing could be useful to share with others.

Are there any panel type discussions for next year (I know, it just ended) and/or how do people go about it if we have ideas for things to present or maybe are interested in presenting.

Thanks!

gene x hwang

Default Teaching ...

Hi Gene;

Have you ever taught a class, to a professional photog. group? I will suggest that you start out like I did. I taught some "early bird" classes for the state photog. assn. I belong to. I gradually moved up to teaching longer classes and for other associations. Finally I did a Super Monday class.

To teach at the PPA convention, I would think you would have had taught somewhere before. So put together a class and approach your state or sub-state group about teaching. Talk to friends who hold the Craftsman Degree for advice on how to get started teaching for the first time. Good luck;

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr. Photog. , PPA C.P.P. Liason, PPA Recon Team
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default PPA Speaker Surveys

Gene,
    Craig Flory already offered you some great advice on getting started with speaking and I will just ditto what he said. I received my Craftsman Degree on Tuesday night. I did start two years ago presenting first to local guilds, and then ventured into state programs. Now that I have earned my Craftsman degree, I am ready to venture into regional and national programs.

PPA does ask and considers our suggestions and requests for future programs. At each program you are given a survey to fill out which grades the speaker that presented. It also asks for your personal comments, suggestions and recommendations for future programs. I always take a few minutes at the end of the program to fill out the surveys.
    Constance Rawlins, Cr., CPP
    McComb, MS
    crawlins@cableone.net

Thanks Craig and Constance. I did fill out my forms and it was funny b/c one of the speakers spoke directly addressing one of my issues with some of the speakers (too much pitching of their own products/etc.).

Anyhow, I've only taught locally here in San Francisco but will take your advice.

Also, do they ever have panel type discussions? Of the ones I went to (this was my first year at Imaging USA, but I really loved it!) I didn't see any and thought that would be a good thing to be offered.

Thanks!
    gene

Default Panel Discussions

Gene,
    I did not see any panel discussions on this year's Imaging USA agenda; however, there have been some in the past.
    Regional conventions also usually include some panel discussions.
    Pass your recommendations on to PPA. Michael Taylor is the incoming President and is still considering ideas for next year's agenda. His email is mtaylor@ppa.com.
    Constance Rawlins, Cr., CPP

Default One of the best in San Rafael !!!

Hi Gene;

You have one of the best photographers in the world very close to you. David Peters is in San Rafael ... and I think of him as an Andrew Wyeth with a camera. I'd check to see if he is speaking anywhere near you. I know exactly where San Rafael is since I was an Air Force photographer at Hamilton AFB , Novato, from 1966 till 1970. (by the way .. he is originally from Pennsylvania)

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., PPA C.P.P. Liason, PPA Recon Team

Do you have a website for him? I know a David Peterson who we worked with on Levi's campaigns but I googled and only found one David Peters who's in England it looks like.

Thanks again!

Default SanFrancisco Bay area Photographers.

Hi Gene,

David Peters is a living legend in the Bay Area, though probably limited to the PPA, WPPI and wedding and studio photography circles. He has not done any local speaking engagements recently but is doing personal workshop tours.

If your new or would like to beak into to the circuit. The Professional Photographers of the Greater Bay Area (http://www.ppgba.org) is the best place to start. It's the local PPA affiliate for San Francisco and we have a great lineup of national level speakers as well as a wealth of local talents. Hanson Fong is probably the most popular of all time. He's another superstar in the PPA/WPPI/Wedding and studio photography circles.

Anyway's if you decide to check it out... look for me and I'll comp yours and your date’s entrance fee.

Finally, since were speaking about speaking, here’s something that you might be interested in: http://www.kickstep.com/stuff/4NightsWorkshops.pdf

I’m a local (PPA/WPPI circles) speaker and I also have a Super Monday (PPA sponsored) coming up in April.

Here's the postcard:
    http://www.kickstep.com/stuff/Marcs_SuperMonday_Front.pdf
    http://www.kickstep.com/stuff/Marcs_SuperMonday_Back.pdf

Sharing if fun...
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Thanks Mark good info - I will defniitely try and participate when I am not having to shoot or be outta town because of it.