Am I insane? (That's a rhetorical question!!)
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Am I insane? (That's a rhetorical question!!)

So I'm thinking about teaching a Super Monday class. I'm thinking about 2, actually. And I'm not sure I want to do them in my own area (unless everyone who came was from somewhere else!)

The insane part comes from that I'm doing my first Expo the weekend before. I'm going to be beat. Do you have to do the class on that Monday? Can you do an alternative date?

Here are the two classes I was thinking of doing:

Going Pro: The Business of the Art
    All the different things you need to know if you really do want to make this a career and not just a hobby. From printing to packaging, how to have quality work and delivery. What you're allowed to do in your home (at least in my county), what kind of taxes, etc, you need to register for. Basically all that stuff that you don't know about until someone tells you. (Introductory level)

Maternity Portraits: Marketing and Promotion, etc, and two shoots, one in the morning with one person, one in the afternoon with a couple or family. (for folks who already know a little studio lighting stuff)

So, aside from the insanity of doing this the day after an expo, do you think anyone would be interested in either of these? And if so, am I locked into that specific day? (And if I don't want to do it here, can I have it at YOUR studio? Mine is soooo tiny.) What's the minimum number of people you need to run one?

-e
    Liz Vance, Cr. Photog, CPP
    oh baby photography
    bellies. babies. beautiful.
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there--even if you put them all end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity. - Robert Doisneau

You raise an interesting quandry. I've thought about doing Super Monday in the past, and I'm typically a pretty open fellow. However, the only thing I really have to share is business advice. I'm not sure that, at my relatively young status I'd be willing to share business advice to my close competitiors.

Do people run Super Mondays out of state/area?

For the record, I think both of your ideas are great, Liz. I think both would have a wide and practical appeal.

- trr

Yes, you are insane! Now that we have that out of the way, at least you could use my last name in the first class...
    Art Wright CPP, Team Recon,

AJW Photo
    Professional Digital Photography
    www.AJWPhoto.com

I'd love to come to the buisness one liz =P But you are a pretty far drive for me for a day trip

hahahaha. Funny, Art. (I had to go back and look at what I wrote- it took me a minute. I'm slow today!)

Todd,

I know what you mean. I don't know that I'd want to do a photo class nearby, because I don't want to encourage other locals to do my bread and butter work. But the business side of it, I think that it would be great if some of the MWACs that I'm competing for business with actually starting being more professional. Encourage them to join associations, to get insurance, to see what goes into really being a professional. Because once they started doing that, they'd have to raise their prices, and it would step up the quality of their work, which would help raise the bar for everyone. And that can't be a bad thing, can it?

I don't know. I just remember how hard it was when I was starting, and I didn't know who to ask help from, and more importantly, I didn't even know what to ask. I couldn't even Google 'memory mates' because I didn't know that's what they were called.
    oh baby photography
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there--even if you put them all end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity. - Robert Doisneau

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Vance View Post

I don't know. I just remember how hard it was when I was starting, and I didn't know who to ask help from, and more importantly, I didn't even know what to ask. I couldn't even Google 'memory mates' because I didn't know that's what they were called.

amen sister... (How about you come on up here and practice this on me =) lol

If you want to come to Florida, you can use my studio. We'll still have nice warm weather in October.

I like your ideas....

Chontelle

Liz,

Pick me...Pick me!!! I'd love to have you here to my studio. Though not huge, I promise to move things around to maximize space for you. And if you are thinking October, you'd have beautiful fall colors for a nice couple/family outdoor shoot. I know, Michigan is awfully far, but I bet we could get Betsy F. up here too - she's only a couple hours away. What say you, Betsy?!!! Shall we twist real hard and see if we can get Liz to Michigan?
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Aw, you guys are so nice!

-e
    oh baby photography
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

Liz,
    If you want to get really far away, there's always Mesquite, NV.
    I'm about all there is right here but maybe someone from Utah or Vegas would show interest.
    Cindi Delaney, future CPP
    We have no quarrel with those who choose to sell their wares for less.
    They know what their stuff is worth.

From a little sign that used to hang on the wall of my mother's restaurant