My 20 candidate images for certification
    Deleted

Default My 20 candidate images for certification

I'm not sure how to post to the galleries, so I am providing this link:

http://www.photosig.com/go/users/vie...olio?id=151243

Should anyone care to give me some feedback on whether these images would "pass" for the portfolio part of the CPP, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

This have all been taken for clients within the last 24 months I think ... I'll have to check the timing, but it has to be fairly close.

If I were to submit these on a DVD, how do the image labeling rules apply? I wouldn't add text to the digital file numbering them would I?

I think it is great that you can submit a DVD instead of prints, but I am not sure how the guidelines for submission apply to the DVD method, so any help there would be greatly appreciated. If I can get my act together soon enough, and study hard enough, I am thinking about attempting the Certification (both written exam and portfolio) at this years Mid East Regional Convention in March in Dayton, OH, so any help/advise is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Ahhhhh the 20 images...

Hey John,

I passed both my written and image review last year. Let me share my 20.

http://www.kickstep.com/ppa/cpp/

If your familliar with the old PPA scoring system, a bunch of 78's and 79's will do. Though it helps to add an 80 or so in the mix. Either way, the panel evaluates your exposure, color, composition and I'm pretty sure variety.

Looking at your images, I think your almost there. Though, I would reconsider turning in the baby B/W's as it lacks kickers for separation.

I recomend you send your images on a CD. Read the file prep instructions carefully. Also, start your sequence with your two better images and end it with your best of the best. Take note, the upload screwed up my image sequence, if your curious, just look at the file numbers on the lower left.

Good luck, the test is not that hard... I had a terrible hangover when I took it. Whew, good times at Golden Gate School...
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 01-15-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Hi John
    Marc makes some good points and certainly knows more than I do about submissions on disc. As far as your images go I'd say you've got it! This doesn't mean you shouldnt take Marc's advice about the baby but in my opinion you're there. Good luck - David

Deleted

Thanks for the feedback David and Marc ...

Marc, your portfolio images are very nice. Great stuff. Have you entered any of those images in competition?

As for your comment on the B&W images in my portfolio ... are you saying I need a kicker light to put seperation between the subject and my backgrounds? I didn't think that was necessary in the case of a black background. Am I understanding you correctly and/or does it make sense with a black background to be able to see it?

Again, thanks for your time and input. It is very much appreciated.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jthphotography
    Marc, your portfolio images are very nice. Great stuff. Have you entered any of those images in competition?
    John
    Why thank you John, a few of the images have indeed been entered in a few local affiliates and have scored in the merrit category. I'm also the current photographer of the year for the Professional Photographers of Sacramento, CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthphotography
    As for your comment on the B&W images in my portfolio ... are you saying I need a kicker light to put seperation between the subject and my backgrounds? I didn't think that was necessary in the case of a black background. Am I understanding you correctly and/or does it make sense with a black background to be able to see it?
    John
    Normally, for images to look good, there needs to be separation no matter what (exceptions do apply) key (high/mid/low) background you have. For certifications and print comp, this shows that you know how to "lift" your subjects from the page.

Here's an example of how separation is achieved on a black background

Good Luck!
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com