High Expectations ...

Default High Expectations ...

Hi group;

There have been some photographers who did great in their respective regionals. I wasn't one of them. John Heckler reported that his highest score, at Mid-East Regional, was a 78. Well, my highest was a 79. I am planning on reviewing my 4 images and sending on the highest to Imaging for the May deadline. Mid-East judges were especially harsh this year and blue ribbons were down 10%. So, I'm going to the next level knowing I have 6 panels of judges and it only takes one, who likes an image, to ask for it to sent on to the next panel.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    Hi group;

There have been some photographers who did great in their respective regionals. I wasn't one of them. John Heckler reported that his highest score, at Mid-East Regional, was a 78. Well, my highest was a 79. I am planning on reviewing my 4 images and sending on the highest to Imaging for the May deadline. Mid-East judges were especially harsh this year and blue ribbons were down 10%. So, I'm going to the next level knowing I have 6 panels of judges and it only takes one, who likes an image, to ask for it to sent on to the next panel.
    So Big Boy?

Where are you images? HUH????

Let's see them!!

Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Yeah D. Craig, everyone else has posted here so now it's your turn. Let the forum panel help tweak them into a ribbon.

Yup, show and tell time!
    Art Wright CPP, Team Recon,

AJW Photo
    Professional Digital Photography
    www.AJWPhoto.com

Default Ok ...

Hi group;

Some you have seen before. Here are the 1st two.

Hot Music

Private Concert

Default Other two ...

Here are the other two:

Hut, Two, Three, Four

Armegeddon

So was it "Private Concert" that scored a 79? My wife and I both like that one a lot for its moodiness. "Hot music" needs some separation lighting on the girl's black shirt; it apears as if her head and left arm are floating in space. I feel the "Hut, two, three, four" geese are floating too. The extraction feels awkard here... What were you going for with "Armeggedon" (sic)?

Maybe if you change the keyline to one of the fiery colors, and find a way to separate her shirt from the darkness it will score better.
    Art Wright CPP, Team Recon,

AJW Photo
    Professional Digital Photography
    www.AJWPhoto.com

Was 1 for 4 at Mid East scores 84-78-77-77

Craig, For myself only been entering Competitions for 4 years.
    Mid East is a tough one! At least it has been for myself!
    Looking forward to Nationals!

Default Don't know till I get my case back ...

I won't know which images got what scores till I get my case back. All 4 images scored well in my state.

Hot Music was a blue ribbon and in the court of honor. I entered that same print.

Private Concert had received Best of Class for portraits last fall in our annual 8x10 comp. so I made some changes and had it printed 20x16.

Hut, Two, Three, Four got a blue ribbon last year. At the print critiques I had it talked about even though it went blue. I listened to the judges who said uneven amounts score better than even. So I had it re-printed after adding a 3rd goose.

Armegeddon was also a blue ribbon image in our state annual 8x10 competition. I enhanced it a bit and had it re-printed. That is actually a church and the original sky was all grey and angry looking from an impending thunderstorm. The original only had 3 steeples and I added 5 so it wouldn't be out of balance. I made the sky hot colors and gave it a Van Gogh look. I then got the feeling of missles and battle thereby the title.

I'll report back which got what scores.

it is hard to understand sometimes. last year I hung 4 prints at nationals this year at the western reg. only 1 Seald. the bad part I have 10 print merrits only need 3 for my masters only one went though so i need to find two more at least.
    One of my prints scored 82 then it was chalenged to go higher but then a flaw was found and the score droped to 78. i did talk to the judges after and they said fix the flaw and it should hang.
    One good is the image that scored 81 did get a Fuji master piece and a kodak Gallery award
    Stewart Schulze
    President of Professional Photographers of California
    CPP, M. Photog. Cr., F-PPC, S-PPC