Good source for print case?
    Deleted

Default Good source for print case?

I am also new to this competition thing and am wondering what and where to buy a print case. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default Calumet ...

Calumet Photo sells them. The web site is http://www.calumetphoto.com/ .
    I own two ... a 1" and a 2" and I suggest the 2" width. It allows for a bit more to protect space to protect the prints. And, if you ever want to take prints to a mall show, or to a class you are teaching, it will give more room. They last forever ... mine are from the late 1970's.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, PPA C.P.P. Liason, PPA Recon Team, ASP

Deleted

Will the 2" case hold (4) 16x20 mounted prints?

Default Space in it ..

I was wrong ... I own a 2" and a 3" case. But I use the 2" one most often. I am able to put four 16" X 20"s, mounted on gator-foam and with thin foam-core under the bottom print and on top of the top print. Place 4 mounted prints on top of each other and measure the thickness and you can judge for yourself. (don't forget to make sure your mounting material is the correct thickness for competitions) If you want to get a 3" case you will just use extra protection / padding.

D. Craig Flory

Deleted

Ah, ok ... so would this product accommodate (4) 16x20 prints for competition then or should I get the 3 or 4 inch to be sure?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

6. Talking Good source for print case

The fiber cases are sold by many of the bigger photo equipment dealers. I don't know where you are from but along with Calumet there is Photo Barn in Lilburn, GA, probably Schillers in St. Louis and many others. For the long haul, though I would get a padded case such as those sold by Tallyn's Camera in Peoria, IL. They are more expensive but provide much better protection for your prints and are much, much easier to pack. They are also easy to pack for the return trip to you by the print handlers (volunteers) who may or may not pack your prints the way you had them in a fiber case. Of the seven cases we own three are of this type and I highly reccommend them. Whichever you go they should last a long time. I'm still using my first one bought in 1967.
    Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-chairman

do the comp. prints have to come in a "case" or could I send them in a standard type shipping box?

RO

Default Competition shipping

Hi Rachel;

Yes, you must use a print case. In our Pa. state competitions, if prints arrive in anything other than a print shipping case ... all are disqualified. That is why this discussion about where to buy them has been going on. If you want to enter, and don't own one, try to find someone who owns several who would loan you one for your first competition.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, PPA C.P.P. Liason, PPA Recon Team, ASP

9. Default Competition shipping

Craig is right on about prints arriving in a print case as opposed to a box. The reasoning is that print cases are designed to be reused whereas boxes are not. Should your box get torn or damaged then a new box has to be acquired (purchased, scrounged, etc.) causing all sorts of problems for those hosting competitions.
    Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-chairman