Opinion Please

Thread: Opinion Please

Default Opinion Please

I just had to start a new thread, as I was really tired of see my "bad news" keep coming up. So, I'm starting a new one.

Okay, so I messed up the first time around. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and the fact that I got lazy. I do honestly understand much of the different types of lighting. My biggest problems are portraits outside - I've always hated shadows on faces so I overdo it. And then I just didn't change things up enough in my new studio (which happens to be a very small area). Anyway, enough with the excuses - on to the reason for the post. I would like to know what you all think of this image for one of my certification images. Should I do anything different? ie. Should I crop her any differently? Her eyes are up into the lower part of the upper 3rd of the image and that's what I think draws you, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks differently? Also, what do judges think of images with a soft focus filter used? Unfortunately, I didn't capture this one without it.

Again, thanks for any CC you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Default Corrections to make ...

Hi Angela;

On this image, it is #1 Flat #2 Eyes half closed #3 her hand is too bright as is the background for a low-key top #4 No light in her eyes. This is closer:

I would not use soft focus on the lens. Do it on Photoshop and then use a layer mask to control which areas get it.

Going along with D. Craig's comments, look at the shadows cast by her laugh lines extending down from each nostril. You almost never want both of those to show strongly like that (except maybe unavoidable on an elderly subject). That's a clue that your fill is too obtrusive.

The fact that you don't have a well-defined nose shadow is another clue. With your fill off, you should arrange your main light to deliberately place the nose shadow where you want it to be (butterfly, loop, Rembrandt, whatever). When you set your fill, the ratio should be such that you still see that nose shadow position.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP