How do you study?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you study?

This question goes out to all those studying for the CPP exam - or those who have passed it. How are you guys studying for the exam? What kind of methods are you using to work through the stuff you don't know very well?

Study the book! I think there are sample questions on PPA web.
    Next: realize it's a multiple choice exam - if unsure of a question, use process of elimination. I've been Certified so long that there were view camera and lots of chemistry questions, but nothing related to digital!
    I did my renewals every five years.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

you're too funny, George! Of course I'm studying the book... My question really is to find out HOW people are studying the book. Do you just read it over and over until it sticks? How do you know what you don't know? How do you get those more difficult topics or concepts to "stick"? Any study tips that have worked for others? I started working on some flash cards, which, if nothing else, have required me to go through again with a fine tooth comb. Just curious what others are doing!

Louise_St.Romain

Personally, I take notes as I read, seems the act of writing down helps me remember better.

Just read the book. Focus on the chapters for which I've done the questions- those are the ones that were most relevant (on my exam, anyway.) Make sure you know the color wheel, color theory, equivalent exposures, lighting ratios, digital theory. It's actually fairly straightforward. If you are really concerned, you may be overthinking things. Just relax, read through the text, make sure you understand why the answers to the review questions are what they are, and you should have a solid foundation and can chime in with your own "it's not that bad" after you take the exam. Let's hope we end up with the same passing percentage as last year!
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

When I took the exam, I just read the book. Honestly, I only had time (and the inclination) to read it through once. I had the one that had view camera and chemistry questions and I hadn't been in a darkroom since college and I hadn't used a view camera but once or twice. I have to admit it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe.

I used the study questions provided on the web site, and highlighted the portions of the book that pertained, then read those portions over and over again.

Karen Linsley, Cr.Photog., CPP
    www.imageangels.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#/ImageAngel...graphyServices
    Now Blogging! http://imageangels.com/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageangel

I read the book about 1/2 hour each day. Also, read some other sources so it (the techie stuff) was presented in a couple different ways (guide numbers, ratios, inverse square law)... Then crossed my fingers, took a deep breath, said a prayer and took the test! It was 5 years ago (must renew this year) but (for me) I don't think it was as hard as I thought it was going to be...
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

I kind of piddled around semi-studying for several months. Then, with 30 days to go before the test, it dawned on me that I would have to tell my two kids what my score was..one was in the 5th grade and the other was a HS sophomore. That scared me to death. I started studying at least 1 hour a night until exam time.
    I was so proud to tell them I made an 82...passed on the first try. Then my wise-acre daughter pops up with "82!!!! Daddy, that's just a B!"

Hey, Dave, that's what I got!

To be honest, it wasn't my intent not to study, but my test prep packet didn't come in the mail until 2 weeks AFTER I took the test. They mailed it out a couple of months ahead of time, but the pony express in New Mexico delivers mail at its own speed, so it came the same time as my results.