How to title a print
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to title a print

For the benefit of those entering print competition here is some advice on how to title a print:

The best advice I was ever given: Capture the emotion in the image in your title.

Also, for advice on how NOT to title your print....

I know that there are some titles that judges just hate to hear as they are rather over-used. Anyone can help here...

I understand that Pretty in Pink is one to avoid.

Any others?
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Default How to ...

Hi Don;

This is a good thread. To add to it: I always suggest that one word titles are the best, usually, and five words are usually the most that should be used.

When I work on titles I have on the table a dictionary, a thesaurus, a TV Guide (movies make great titles), my Joel Whitburn "Top 40 Hits from 1955 to 1985" book (songs also make great titles), a set of 15 books I bought years ago from Jerry Pokorny, and some Loan Collection books. I get inspiration in many ways and always have a tablet handy when an idea pops into my head.

I'm keeping up with this thread. What about using the person's name in the title? What are your thoughts on this? I mean, I recently posted an image of my daughter; she was in an evening gown and I wanted to call it "Princess Vanessa"... I'm just wondering just how far off base I may be should I decide to enter it.

Or, can you even enter something of your own child??? Forgive the "newbie" line of questioning as this will my first time entering this comp!
    CK McDaniel, Cr Photog., CPP
    Because Photographers have a BETTER IMAGE ...
    www.StudioEnVogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi K McDaniel View Post
    I'm keeping up with this thread. What about using the person's name in the title? What are your thoughts on this? I mean, I recently posted an image of my daughter; she was in an evening gown and I wanted to call it "Princess Vanessa"... I'm just wondering just how far off base I may be should I decide to enter it.

Or, can you even enter something of your own child??? Forgive the "newbie" line of questioning as this will my first time entering this comp!
    Cindi,

Entering an image of your own child is setting yourself up!!! Been there done that!!!

One image I entered using the child's name was titled (for state): Aspen
    Yes her name was/is Aspen.... As soon as I heard the title announced I thought of ... City in CO, a type of tree, a men's cologne.... So when I sent it off to National I changed it to Victoria. It went loan!!! Did the title change do that? Not likely, but at least the jurors (hopefully) were less confused in the split seconds between hearing the title and seeing the image.

Gotta go shovel the white mess out of my driveway!!!

P.S. I like your new avatar!!
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Default Yes ...

Hi Cindi;

Yes, you may enter family members images. As for a title ... it's usually best to use something more like "Little Princess" rather than a person' name.

Ok, Here are my best practices.

1. I try to stick with one or two words. Unless you're Asian actually submitting from Asia and in that case it's ok to have a sentence for a tittle.

2. I avoid foreign words just because there's additional thinking involved for the judges. I personally don't want them to think anymore than they have to.

3. I try to avoid nouns rather stick with verbs and adjectives. Action words are more dynamic.

4. Please don't use famous art piece titles like "Mona Lisa". It draws comparisons to the originals. Which is kinda cool if you nailed it but how original is that?

5. Double-entendre's are pretty bold for titles. Can go both ways.

7. I try to incorporate the colors within the image as part of the title. Yes I have hanged a Pretty in Pink! lol

--------------------

Other cheezy over used titles:

Circle of Love
    Anticipation
    First Dance
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 02-13-2008 at 08:44 PM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin View Post
    Ok, Here are my best practices.

1. I try to stick with one or two words. Unless you're Asian actually submitting from Asia and in that case it's ok to have a sentence for a tittle.
    OK, why the Asian exception? Is there an exception for each of the other continents?

I had one instructor several years ago tell us that if it sounds like a romance novel to skip it.
    Marilyn Dillon, CPP

www.marilyndillonphoto.com
    www.naturalexpressions-photo.com

"The question is not what you look at but what you see!"
    -Henry David Thoreau

-i always went with the k.i.s.s. method for titles.
    -direct and to the point, not too cute, not too obscure.
    -if using a odd word or one not in english add a clue as to how you want
    it pronounced in brackets next to title
    names are ok, if they fit the subject - if not, change the name to what
    he/she looks like or the image you want to portray to the judges.
    -i once entered a photo taken of a barn in nj title was something like "irish
    countryside" because that's what it reminded me of.
    -one taken in a mexico city park i titled "central park west" sounded like nyc
    -another one from a mexican convent titled "villa capri" now i was on the
    island of capri twice, just not where this one was taken.

so what i'm saying is have fun with it.
    joe

hope non of you think this is in any way cheating?

andiegoodman

Quote Originally Posted by Don Chick View Post
    For the benefit of those entering print competition here is some advice on how to title a print:

The best advice I was ever given: Capture the emotion in the image in your title.

Also, for advice on how NOT to title your print....

I know that there are some titles that judges just hate to hear as they are rather over-used. Anyone can help here...

I understand that Pretty in Pink is one to avoid.

Any others?
    I suppose we could add "Delicate Beauty". Unless Steve uses it again this year...I am not.