Opinions Please-- It's Different
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions Please-- It's Different

Had a senior yesterday that wore a jacket with some art that represented a band I think? (Yes Jim I should have asked more questions) I photographed the jacket and then attempted to use it to give a different message.

The original artwork was a skull in the hood and he was holding guns. This young mans father is a baptist minister so even though he wears this kind of stuff he is a good kid and religion is a big part of his life. The band? was JustBlaz; his name is Justin so that's what the "IN" is about.

He has not seen it yet but I wanted to get some feedback from you all before I show him.
    Dianna (still striving for perfection)

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny. "

Here is another one of the same guy. Do you think it has enough leading lines.

By the way I posted this thread under competition by mistake that is unless someone tells me they have potential.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny. "

Quote Originally Posted by DiannaAllen View Post
    Had a senior yesterday that wore a jacket with some art that represented a band I think? (Yes Jim I should have asked more questions) I photographed the jacket and then attempted to use it to give a different message.

The original artwork was a skull in the hood and he was holding guns. This young mans father is a baptist minister so even though he wears this kind of stuff he is a good kid and religion is a big part of his life. The band? was JustBlaz; his name is Justin so that's what the "IN" is about.

He has not seen it yet but I wanted to get some feedback from you all before I show him.
    A portrait is "to portray" the personality/character of the person photographed. How does a skull in the hood and him holding holding guns translate to Crosses and Colossians 2:15? This might be fine in the world of competition where free transform is rewarded, but IMHO, you have not created an image of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cisco View Post
    A portrait is "to portray" the personality/character of the person photographed. How does a skull in the hood and him holding holding guns translate to Crosses and Colossians 2:15? This might be fine in the world of competition where free transform is rewarded, but IMHO, you have not created an image of him.
    As I said in my second post I was not creating or posting this as a competition image. Posted in the wrong category... for that I am sorry. I am not dumb enough to think something with no more skill to create than this took is worthy of competition. But I am confident I have created an image my client will like, many of these kids have many sides to who they are.

He really wanted to use the jacket but did not think I would because of the guns. We agreed I'd remove the guns and that I'd create something unique. He is not into violence and his religion is a big part of his life. He just likes the band and the art work. I've just attempted to portray more than one side of him. This was my second session with him so I have gotten to know a little bit about him and I am not worried that he won't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DiannaAllen View Post
    As I said in my second post I was not creating or posting this as a competition image. Posted in the wrong category... for that I am sorry. I am not dumb enough to think something with no more skill to create than this took is worthy of competition. But I am confident I have created an image my client will like, many of these kids have many sides to who they are.

He really wanted to use the jacket but did not think I would because of the guns. We agreed I'd remove the guns and that I'd create something unique. He is not into violence and his religion is a big part of his life. He just likes the band and the art work. I've just attempted to portray more than one side of him. This was my second session with him so I have gotten to know a little bit about him and I am not worried that he won't like it.
    Ok, now that you have said that you worked WITH the subject to create the image, it all makes better sense. BTW, I think that image DOES have competition qualities. I guess we're not on the same page this evening...I'm going to sleep.

I think you did a great job with the first image, and that your client should love it. I think it has many elements which portray the things that are important to him. Good job!

It might have competition potential as well, although the judges tend to like things not centered for print comp.

Karen Linsley, Cr.Photog., CPP
    www.imageangels.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#/ImageAngel...graphyServices
    Now Blogging! http://imageangels.com/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageangel

at 12:00 midnight I'm not best either. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cisco View Post
    Ok, now that you have said that you worked WITH the subject to create the image, it all makes better sense. BTW, I think that image DOES have competition qualities. I guess we're not on the same page this evening...I'm going to sleep.

96 views and only 2 made comments... come on you guys give me some feedback.

Dianna,

You're right about the leading lines they add to the picture. It's about the camera angle and lens choice that I struggle with... He looks like a giant in body but his head size isn't in proportion to the rest....
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

I agree but I don't think I could have gotten the angle of the lines otherwise. I was on the ground shooting up. Advise would be appreciated as I use this spot often to shoot.