Please critique me!

Default Please critique me!

I finally got the good news from the Exam in Tampa--YAY!!! Now I face the more stressful image review.

If you guys could take a look and give me some feedback, I'd really appreciate it!!! Thank you in advance!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kt_tr/s...27162456/show/

Sorry this isn't a "professional" website, but I can't add to my website right now since it's under construction and out of my control, so this seemed to be the easiest way for people to view the images. Let me know if there's another way you guys would prefer I'd present these.

Thank you!

Katherine -
    Just really quick - I noticed two images that have the same little girl in them (one of her by herself on a small chaise, little leopard print coat on, I think, then her again in an image with three older men). I was reading the print rules this morning and it specifically states that the same subject cannot be in more than one image - so you might want to swap one of those out for another subject!

Default Thanks Heather!

You're right! That was an oversight on my part; I had the girl in my children's portfolio folder and the family portrait in another folder, so when I was pulling images for this, I missed it.

Thank you for the catch!

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for taking the time to look at and comment on my images! I also looked at yours and am far from qualified from commenting. With the 30+ images you have, the ones that I would probably exclude are the one that I think is #23 - the blond girl with the grass/field behind her. She's a beautiful girl, but there aren't enough shadows to help define her neck so her face just kind of becomes part of her neck. The third to the last one (the ladies at a table) I would probably pull too as it looks more like a snapshot than the other images.

Is the girl in the blue hood the same girl in some of the other shots? I can't tell for sure, but the eyes look very similar.

My only other comment would be for the images on the black background that the subjects were a little further away from the background, or a shallow DOF was used, or light was kept off of it to kind of hide the wrinkles in the background -- unless that was your intention to show them. I don't know it that will make a difference with the image submission or not.

I really really love the high key image of the little boy!
    Keely Deuschle, Cr.Photog, CPP
    Orange Park, FL
    President, Jacksonville Professional Photographers Guild

Default Thank you Keely

I appreciate the feedback!!!

I am not the hugest fan of #1. The light is coming from the wrong direction, IMO. I would rather see it shining onto her belly and falling off towards her back. As it is, it emphasizes her back, not her belly. I'd probably cull this one.

2 is fine. 3 I'd prefer it without the glow, I think. Or at least tone it down. 4 is lovely- a much better direction of light, but I'd probably move the light even more camera left. I also like the detail and texture in this one.

5-15 are all good.

16 isn't bad, but you have mixed keys here. White shirts and a dark background. And the contrast seems a little low. I would hit it with a curves adjustment to give it some snap. If they had dark shirts this would be a better image. Add contrast and keep it in, but to improve, use a lighter background when they are wearing light clothes.

See how much better 17 is? It's all in key. dark bg, dark clothes. nice portrait

18-20 are all fine, although the tone on 20 doesn't do a lot for me, and the lighting is a little flat

I like 21, but it would be better if you masked off the blur on her eyes, lips, eyebrows a little bit

22 is ok, 23 is out- totally flat lighting a no contrast on the subject.

24 does nothing for me, sorry.

25,26 ok, 27 good, 28 beautiful! (A competition image, perhaps, is presented properly)

29 is good, but the flesh tones seem to need a little more saturation (not on my calibrated monitor, and I know this one shows a little green, but it looks like it could use a little more red) One thing, though. Move your main to the other side. You are broad lighting him. It would look even better short lit. Same with 30.

31 is a cull. 32 is fine. 33 ok. Try bouncing the flash to the side.

You have plenty of good work here.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback Mark!

I appreciate your time!!!