Explain the level of Comp - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Having been there many times, the greatest single option is just drive. It's about three hours to Williams from Phoenix and then another hour plus to the canyon rim. There is plenty of lodging at the canyon. But again, January is a bit of Russian roulette with the weather there. One storm oves through and you're stuck. Beautiful no matter what time of year but nicest around April or May.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jackson View Post
    Having been there many times, the greatest single option is just drive. It's about three hours to Williams from Phoenix and then another hour plus to the canyon rim. There is plenty of lodging at the canyon. But again, January is a bit of Russian roulette with the weather there. One storm oves through and you're stuck. Beautiful no matter what time of year but nicest around April or May.
    Ron,

THANKS for the research!!!

I started another thread:

http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10232
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levesque View Post
    Unless it is judged to be of merit quality by the jury that sees it, of course. It isn't disqualified from getting a merit if it isn't submitted at the next national comp. It is just judged as if it didn't already have a seal.
    The point is that some people think that a "Sealed" print is a merit, and they don't bother to send it to National, thinking that the seal on the print indicates that the image is a merit and they believe that the merit has been recorded. The merit is not recorded until the print goes to National, until then it is just a name on a list of expected sealed entries. If a print is "Sealed" at SEPPA or SWPPA or any other affiliated regional, there is no merit recorded at PPA Headquarters. It must go to the National judging to receive it's merit.

Another point is that some people think that a "Sealed" print is a merit no matter when they submit it - this year or the next. If the print is not submitted to the VERY NEXT PPA National judging, the seal becomes invalid the following year. The print is not disqualified due to an expired seal, but it is no longer automatically accepted. Prints with expired seals are routed to the "unjudged print" rooms to be judged again for merit. If that panel accepts it, it becomes a merit. If that panel turns it down, it becomes an Unaccepted Entry and is returned to the maker unexhibited and without a merit, even though it was "Sealed" the previous year.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jackson View Post
    So now, I am guessing that not only would there be a dues for state and local level but then I am guessing there is another dues for SEPPA? So, if one wants to be a part of print comp where the merits count with PPA, how many different organizations does one have to pay dues to?
    If you are a member of your state association that is a member of the PPA affiliated regional, then you are a member of that regional through your state association. There are dues for the regional associations, but those dues are paid for you to the regional associations by your state associations. Professional Photographers of Louisiana pays dues to the Southwest Professional Photographers Association (our regional) for every member of our association every year. I could be wrong, but am relatively certain that the other regionals operate in the same manner as SWPPA.

andiegoodman

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Massarini View Post
    If you are a member of your state association that is a member of the PPA affiliated regional, then you are a member of that regional through your state association. There are dues for the regional associations, but those dues are paid for you to the regional associations by your state associations. Professional Photographers of Louisiana pays dues to the Southwest Professional Photographers Association (our regional) for every member of our association every year. I could be wrong, but am relatively certain that the other regionals operate in the same manner as SWPPA.
    Not for PPANE. The dues for regional are separate from any state association.

Quote Originally Posted by andiegoodman View Post
    Not for PPANE. The dues for regional are separate from any state association.
    Yeah, it figures that you Yankees would do things differently from how we Southerners do it !!! Cheri says that SEPPA has no dues and SWPPA dues are handled through the states - maybe that's why SEPPA and SWPPA have such high attendance at their conventions !!! If you're a member of your state down here, you can't forget to pay your regional dues....

Yeah, it figures that you Yankees would do things differently from how we Southerners do it !!! Cheri says that SEPPA has no dues and SWPPA dues are handled through the states - maybe that's why SEPPA and SWPPA have such high attendance at their conventions !!! If you're a member of your state down here, you can't forget to pay your regional dues....
    Interesting Rick. Attendance at our regional has not been what it used to be. I doubt the New England states would go for that though.
    Jane Lydick Staid, M. Photog. Cr. CPP (only cuz I had to)

andiegoodman

When I was a FPP member, I thought that $5.00 of my dues to the state actually went to SEPPA. Am I wrong?

When I was a FPP member, I thought that $5.00 of my dues to the state actually went to SEPPA. Am I wrong?
    You are correct. It's built into the state dues so you don't actually have to send separated dues to seppa.
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

Quote Originally Posted by Cheri MacCallum View Post
    You are correct. It's built into the state dues so you don't actually have to send separated dues to seppa.
    The same is true with Louisiana. We send a fee to SWPPA for each member of our State Association, so a portion of our State Membership dues does go to SWPPA. We pay dues for every one of our members, but, not a large number of our members take advantage of their free (or included, however you look at it) SWPPA membership by submitting prints and attending the regional convention. Attendance at the SWPPA Convention is free for all of the member states active members who have paid their dues before the date of the convention. If you are not a member of your state association, then SWPPA convention registration is $199.00 (which is more than the Louisiana State dues!).