Explain the level of Comp - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I hope so too Cheri. We really didn't get as much time to talk as I wanted to at Imaging. Maybe you and Drew need to come down here for a few days to hang out and we can take that day cruise to the Bahamas for a photo safari and talk.

I just realized something else that troubles me about this process so I am again asking for explanations.

If I join the Florida affiliate to get into print comp that would have any bearing on PPA merits, their convention and competition is not until August. SEPPA is in April so that doesn't work. And, International in Daytona is in July! So I am back to how would I enter a competition that would count if it merited and be eligble for Daytona in July? Sorry about this. I am not the brightest bulb in the pack.

Join the Florida association now and submit to SEPPA in April. In August, submit next year's prints.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Default To add to your confusion ...

Hi Ron;

To add further to your confusion ... in our state, as in a lot of others, we have a state degree. It is like Master but only for our state. I agree about you joining your state group. I've been a member of Professional Photographers of Pa. since 1978. We have 9 or 10 days of top knotch speakers every year for our $200.00 dues. This year we get even more from that. Any member of our state can attend any programs that the Maryland group or Delaware group have ... for free. Any any members of their groups can attend free any of ours.

I wanted to point out to you about the Photographic Craftsman Degree from PPA. It is the 2nd highest degree below Master. I think, given how good you are with Painter, you could easily get Craftsman once you join your state group. I set a goal to get it in 3 years and I got it in 3 years. Let me know if want to know more. Besides your own state group, you have a lot of friends, on here, who can help get you teaching gigs at their state group.

Okay D. Craig, you just made me almost spit my coffee out on my keyboard! That was funny! Me teaching? Like I have something to say that others would want to hear? That makes me laugh. Thanks for the smile.

Default A poll ...

I have a poll ... to see how many would want to attend a class with Ron teaching how he does his fantastic image presentations. Everyone who would like that please post !!!

Maybe you and Drew need to come down here for a few days to hang out and we can take that day cruise to the Bahamas for a photo safari and talk.

If you merit at the PPA print comp, they hold your case hostage for 9 months! I had to buy a second print case and cycle the prints! While one case is at ppa, the other is for new work going to state and regionals.
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

Don't sell yourself short, Ron.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Mark and D. Craig. I think that most artists have one of two personalities. either a huge ego that is vastly over inflated or like me, the one that my work is never quite good enough. I could do this for fifty years and probably never feel that I am at the peak. Now the upside of that is that it keeps you constantly working hard to acheive that higher level so your work constantly improves. I constantly look at other's work and much of the time when I do, I cringe at how inadequate I feel compared to them. So the side effect there is that I never think in terms of having something to say to a group as far as teaching. I have seen many photographers speak who have only been in the business a short time and they were awful. They probably have no idea how negative the comments were after their talk. I don't want to be one of them. Now, I will be the first one to help anyone who seeks my advice or help. It happens all the time and much of it right here on this forum when people email or PM me for help. I have local photographers here that ask for my help and that I mentor but it's always a one on one and I never leave them with anything more than, "that's just my opinion". So, I don't mind feeling a bit inadquate as it keeps me humble and it keeps me striving for more. But I do appreciate the kind thoughts from you guys that I have potential. That does make me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jackson View Post
    That was funny! Me teaching? Like I have something to say that others would want to hear? That makes me laugh. Thanks for the smile.
    Ron,

Absolutely yes! You do have something others would want to hear. You have a unique (as there are no other Ron Jackson's) perspective on what you do. You don't have to do a 6 hour program to get a Speaking merit. You could do a 1 hour program at a Monthly Meeting....

Just remember when you get in front of an audience.. there are 3 (at least) groups sitting in front of you...

Group 1 - You will teach them something
    Group 2 - You will inspire them
    Group 3 - They won't listen to anybody and they already "know it all"
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

I'll vote for Ron doing a presentation, and I'd attend - depending on venue.
    I did not have enough time to converse with him in Tampa!

OK, an idea: we get program chair for Phoenix's Imaging to schedule him. If that's not convenient, WE schedule him at Grand Canyon, for a state association meeting to give merits, under the umbrella of Karen's new Tahoe affiliate! He speaks while we ride the domed railroad car! Northern Arizona could be cold in January, and Ron may not enjoy that, so we book a January cruise before Phoenix. He could come north next summer!

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.