Explain the level of Comp
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Explain the level of Comp

Someone please explain the levels of competition and how each affects the next level and ultimately at the National and Internation print comp level. Do you have judging at every level all the way to the International competition. If you enter in your local affiliate and it merits, what does that mean at the next level and what does that local affiliate merit mean at the national level if anything. I was told that there no longer is judging at national and that you have to merit at state or regionals to get a "thumbs yo ir thumbs down" at national. I know nothing about any of this so I hope someone can explain the process to where it makes sense to me. Thanks.

Thanks for asking this question Ron. I have been wondering the same thing, bt haven't asked the question!

Elizabeth

Good Question Ron. Looking forward to the answer myself.

Ron,
    If your state has several guilds, you can usually enter in a guild. Somtimes states have several guilds like IL which has a northern and southern guild. every state is different, but if you enter your images at either the state or the guild level, it might qualify you for points towards your state photog of the year, or fuji's and kodak's, court of honor, best black and white pet portrait on a high key background ( horizontal) award ( like some states do)

Your state belongs to a regional, in which prints that score an 80 or higher can be sent to the national comp since it has already gotten a "seal of approval" from an all affiliate jury. Your regional has awards much like state, but for the region. ( Typically)

National uses affiliate juries, so it is redundant to re-view an image to see if it scores an 80 or not. At national, they do not work on scores, but by thumbs up or down. Prints that have a seal will get judged for the loan collection, just like any other image that was accepted as thumbs up.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Local and (often) state judging are basically preliminaries, that help you decide what to enter in your regional competitions. It's the regional competitions (and some of the larger states) that "count". You are looking for seals, which mean an automatic merit. You get seals from affiliated juror panels, when they are held at the correct level. (We had a complete panel of affiliated jurors last year, but no seals were awarded because the competition was not at the right level. At PPANE (New England regional) those of us with blues got seals, and will get automatic merits at "national" (aka international) this June.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

<== Er, what he said.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Just to clarify what Jeff said,
    At the national level, they don't use numerical scores, but they STILL judges thumbs up or down to give merits if they have not sealed at a regional as well as those who have sealed or merited to go loan!
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

Okay thanks. So you can't just send images to national that have never been judged previously. I made that more of a statement than a question but feel free to clarify. So, in Florida there are two different organizations one of which is the state level PPA affiliate. Within that state affiliate, there are a number of guilds. So I would need to merit at least at the state level to ge eligible for national (International) or can you merit at a lower level and it count?

Ron, you can enter (internationals really) nationals directly. The main reasons to enter the sub levels are.

1. Practice/critique dry run
    3. Local awards
    3. Get a preliminary thumbs up (if you score above 80) at the regionals. So it's like getting an additional chance to hang.

Some seasoned people (especially masters) just send images to nationals directly because they don't need/care about local trophies anymore and are really just going for loan.

Another (very very valid) reason to go to nationals directly is to save on the comp fees.

Good luck!
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

andiegoodman

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jackson View Post
    Okay thanks. So you can't just send images to national that have never been judged previously. I made that more of a statement than a question but feel free to clarify. So, in Florida there are two different organizations one of which is the state level PPA affiliate. Within that state affiliate, there are a number of guilds. So I would need to merit at least at the state level to ge eligible for national (International) or can you merit at a lower level and it count?
    Yes you can, Ron. It does not NEED to be judged earlier but it may be a good way to clean up a print that scores a 78 or 79 at a local, state or even regional level. Since you are in Florida, you can enter in your local guild (Palm Beach, I believe or Miami), state and/or SEPPA (which is your region).

But you can send prints directly to National. The rules and forms are now posted on the PPA webside. Hope this helps. And good luck.