PDA

View Full Version : A couple more for critique..

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-14-2008, 02:38 AM
These 2 aren't fully retouched as they would be for a client because they didn't purchase these images, but I'm wondering if they have possibility for competition. Thanks for your time!
http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/upload/12002779483329_andrea.jpg
http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/upload/12002782184431_JULD_130.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
01-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Cassandra
Wow! that first image is good. Usually we see images like this broad light because of how hard it is to get the lighting down where it needs to be. It's too light but that is just preferences. I like the tilt. crop off the jeans. I wish the sand had been undisturbed but thats just me and I'm not sure about the hair going straight out of the top of her head but again not a big deal.

The second image is ok - nothing to excite me like the first one. I see blurry spots in her hair like from running something like portraiture and not erasing all of the hair. Again needs to be darker.

Keith

Art_Wright
01-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Keith, why darker?

D._Craig_Flory
01-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Cassandra;

Keith just about said it all. The 2nd won't fly for competition but I really like the 1st one. There is only one thing I don't like. Her left hand positioning looks like a claw. I will be anxious to see a further version of this as you work it into a final presentation.

Keith_A_Howe
01-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Keith, why darker?

Art, This has been addressed many many times on different competition threads but maybe you missed it. Prints are judged under very strong light ( 100 ISO, 1 second, F16) and if you do not print them darker they will look washed out and faded. On my moniter these two images look a little light even for the client. If you print your work down a little it richens the skin tones and just makes the whole image have a depth that appears to go beyond the paper. It just looks better. With film, I used to tell my lab 10% darker and about 5 points warmer than what they considered their norm. With digital I am doing my own balance and exposure adjustments. For competition you want more like 20-25% darker than the norm.

Keith

Robin_Arkenberg
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Art, This has been addressed many many times on different competition threads but maybe you missed it. Prints are judged under very strong light ( 100 ISO, 1 second, F16) and if you do not print them darker they will look washed out and faded. On my moniter these two images look a little light even for the client. If you print your work down a little it richens the skin tones and just makes the whole image have a depth that appears to go beyond the paper. It just looks better. With film, I used to tell my lab 10% darker and about 5 points warmer than what they considered their norm. With digital I am doing my own balance and exposure adjustments. For competition you want more like 20-25% darker than the norm.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I'm aware of the lighting for competition. How do you know when 20-25% happens? What is your procedure for getting the image darker for printing?

cat_broderick
01-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Not that I have so much experience, but I too, believe that first image has great potential!

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Here's my 'final' (so far) version - please critique including presentation and placement - oh and does anyone have any title ideas? And does anyone have guidelines on how to darken for competition - curves? levels? how much? I usually let the lab do it but I'm going to have to go direct print and do it myself as I'm running out of time. Also would you blacken the edges of the mountboard on this, or leave white? thanks!

http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/upload/12011416005864_andrea2.jpg

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
anyone?
(shameless bump :o )

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Cassandra;

Since she is one of the most desirable sexy women I've ever seen ...
I'll suggest "Seductress".

Joe_Galioto
01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
"splender in the sand"
joe