PDA

View Full Version : new to print competition

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-12-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm wanting to enter print comp for the first time this year. My state affiliate (I'm not yet a member) is having their annual convention in March, but I don't know if folks always enter state first, or local or what. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Liz_Vance
01-12-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm in a different state, so the rules could be different. But in VPPA, I think you have to have been a member by December (or possibly even earlier) to enter competition.

Even if you can't enter, though, go ahead and pick your images and work on them as if they were. And when you get there, sit down with at least 3 different people (who've merited) and ask their opinions. I did that my first year (when I got there 2 hours after entry deadline), and it was really beneficial.

good luck!

-e

D._Craig_Flory
01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree with Liz. You should check to see what the rules are, for entering. In Pennsylvania, in order to enter you must first have had your name and studio listed in the newsletter 3 times without any objections to you joining. The Screening and Ethics chair and committee are in charge of that.

Even if you would not be eligible I recommend that you ask to have your prints judged anyhow ... only for score. They would not get any ribbons or be up for any awards. But, you would learn from the results. Then, if there is a print critique, go to it and ask to have your prints discussed.

Mark_Levesque
01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Well, I joined NHPPA in February or March of last year and was in the print comp in April, so not every state has a lengthy waiting period. Good that you are addressing it now and not procrastinating.

What state are you talking about, anyway?

Liz_Vance
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I agree with Liz. You should check to see what the rules are, for entering. In Pennsylvania, in order to enter you must first have had your name and studio listed in the newsletter 3 times without any objections to you joining.

It's like the wedding banns!

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-12-2008, 06:43 PM
North Carolina. Mark, you know me too well . . . how is that? I am prone to procrastination in regard to unsavory tasks, but this hopefully won't be. Do you always enter state first?

D._Craig_Flory
01-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi Elizabeth;

I recommend getting your feet wet at the state level, or sub-state level, first. Learn what goes on and what you need to know. Sit in on the print judging. Watch what goes on and listen to any, and all, comments the judges make. Take note, especially if there is a challenge. That is when you will hear comments in favor of an image as well as why it shouldn't get a higher score.

Both state, and sub-state, groups still, use scores so you will have a much better feel for how far off you are than a thumbs up / thumbs down scenerio.

Linda_Gregory
01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Our substate does NOT use scores. Please be careful in such generalizations as things all over the nation can be so different.

I do like to enter state and consider it a dry run. Fortunately for me, I get two as I enter Nebraska's also since as a vendor, I belong to their state assn as well as my home state of Kansas. Nebraska has an 8 x 10 print contest, allowing six entries. Kansas has a contest with no size being specified other than no larger than 16 x 20. Their limit is 4. I get feedback on all of them and then continue on to our regional which has affiliated judging. Again, those that don't get sealed, I get feedback on (and there are judges from all over the nation there to ask) and improve or throw out for nationals which is a few short months later.

George_Hawkins
01-12-2008, 09:51 PM
The NHPPA conference is April; at the February dinner meeting they have a program for one's possible images: submitting files on CD or by email to the chairperson. At the meeting, they are projected and three masters from within the state do critiquing. I could say judging, but it's more informal critiquing and commenting on each image.

More state associations should do it, as an educational experience for all.

George

Rick_Massarini
01-13-2008, 04:08 AM
While it may be a logical series of progression to send your images to your local guild, then the state, then the regional, then the nationals; there is no hard real reason why this progression must be followed. If there is time enough to run your images through the local and state judgings, it's a good "lead-in" or "build-up" to the national judging. Louisiana has no tenure requirements before entering print competition. You can join as an active member and submit prints for judging the same year. If your state or regional convention print judging is prior to June, then I heartily recommend that you take advantage of getting the images judged there, however if your state or regional convention has past for the year, there is no reason to hold your images until the next year before sending them to the national judging (which ocurrs in July with a June entry submission deadline). Also, at the national judging, you can request a critique, wherein one of the PEC jurors will evaluate your image and tell you their opinion of why the image did well or why it did not so well, and will usually give you suggestions on how to improve it. If it hangs at national - great ! If it doesn't hang - tit's still a great opportunity to learn - but be sure to request a critique, or all you'll get is a yes or no answer as to whether or not it is a merit image...

Jeff_Dachowski
01-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Elizabeth,
FWIW, I have sent images to Regionals, got a seal, submitted to state, then to national to actually earn the merit. Each Comp has its own benefit or issue. I would enter the next one, no matter which it is. Get on it girl!!

Jeff