PDA

View Full Version : 3 from IUSA

Jeff_Dachowski
01-10-2008, 11:23 PM
To all of those who attended, please tell me me three things you learned at IUSA.

Just three....

Do it like this...

1,I learned how to not purchase trolley tickets,
2, that people will not hear any words after you say numbers, ( print sizes)
and 3,that you never say a price. Ever. You just point to it on your price list.

So lets's see your three!!
Jeff

Lori_Clapp
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Only 3??

1. I learned that Jeff Dachowski did indeed "over marry". J/K, but Carolle is awesome!

2. I learned that photographers are some of the most awesome people in the world!

3. I learned that people who want to party will lower their standards to a bowling alley if it's the only bar open at the time. (two nights in a row, no less)

Can we go more than once? I learned more than three things!

Cheri_MacCallum
01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
1) I learned the forum members are like family

2) some of you are as crazy as you seem( a good thing)

3) I can't take ambien cr!

JohnHeckler
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
3) I can't take ambien cr!

Huh? I think this is yet another thing I missed at IUSA ... AND I WAS THERE

BTW, your sig is growing pretty long there ya know ... how about givin' me some of those :-)

JohnHeckler
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
1. I learned that the OurPPA forum characters would make for a more interesting and fun (and likely watched) TV show than "The Shot"

2. Jeff D may have married up, but he's one helluva nice guy

3. Liz Vance couldn't find where the shutter release is on her borrowed P&S to save her life!!! Hehehehe ... sorry Liz, couldn't resist. :D

... "this thing isn't working !!!"

Ok, next post will be my serious 3 ...

Andrea_Chapelo
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I learned bowling shoes go with everything...even formal wear.

I learned that I love the ourppa people!

I learned that I need to put more value on my work.

Cheri_MacCallum
01-10-2008, 11:56 PM
BTW, your sig is growing pretty long there ya know ... how about givin' me some of those :-)

Maybe a few...$$$:D

Lori_Clapp
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Okay, I'm taking another turn, mostly cause I feel bad for talking smack on Jeff after John's comment! Lol!!

1. Jeff D is very nice, and funnier than I ever imagined - and can always keep a straight face!

2. John Heckler really IS a heckler! :D :D

3. Liz Vance is H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!!!!

Stephanie_Millner
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Hmm... only 3? Ok...

1. Photographers can double as wait-staff if the service is bad enough.

2. The Levesques can give marital advice to even people in a bowling alley bathroom.

3. Marc Benjamin can procure drinks for everyone, but can't drink em' himself. :)

Jane_Lydick_Staid
01-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Lori, you are right Carolle is awesome. I told her about my daughters recent surgery for a tumor and she started to cry! I ended up teasing her about it.

George_Hawkins
01-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Everyone was (is) awesome, awesome, awesome!!!
There's three.

George

Liz_Vance
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
I learned...

1. If you hang around the right people, a beer will magically appear in your hands right when you want one.

2. Tthat your motto should always be, WWMD? ("What would MacGuyver do?")

3. That it's the little button on the front that takes the picture, not the big one on the top. Who knew?

Okay, 4, because I sort of realized this at the Safari, but it REALLY stuck in Tampa -

That whatever Carolle is getting paid, it's not enough. :)

Mark_Levesque
01-11-2008, 01:15 AM
1) There is never enough time to do the things you really want to do.

2) You never know who knows you, who reads what you write, for whom you provide inspiration (or that you even provide inspiration at all).

3) If you think you know what people think of you, you may be WAY off.

Lori_Clapp
01-11-2008, 01:38 AM
1) There is never enough time to do the things you really want to do.

2) You never know who knows you, who reads what you write, for whom you provide inspiration (or that you even provide inspiration at all).

3) If you think you know what people think of you, you may be WAY off.

Mark - what, you thought I liked you until you got there? Bahahahaha. Hey, your 3 are pretty deep! And of course you provide inspiration - lots of it! thanks!

Jackie_Haggerty
01-11-2008, 02:02 AM
1. Some girls smoke cigars

2. Dawn is SOO EXCITED I convinced her to go - hehe (You had to be there!)

3. Bowling alleys learn photographers are in town and extend their hours to accomodate them

Marc_Benjamin
01-11-2008, 02:12 AM
1. It's so hard to juggle groups, especially trying to keep everyone drinking despite not drinking myself! Ah shut up Steff!

2. Everyone from ourppa.com is so much fun to hang around with. Luv ya all.

3. I should really make it to the early class rather than partying till 3am ... NOT!

Andrea_Chapelo
01-11-2008, 02:16 AM
My turn again..

I learned that if you have no roomie your room becomes the party room!
I learned that Dawn thinks I am sooo cute (did I mention how much I like that girl)
I learned that you don't require sleep at Imagining. I think they put caffine in my drinks at the bowling alley:D

Mark_Levesque
01-11-2008, 02:28 AM
a 4th. Much as I say I'd want the blue pill, I'd still stubbornly take the red one. You think I'd learn.

Ron_Jackson
01-11-2008, 02:41 AM
I learned a lot at Imaging and that's a good thing because it's not free.
I also learned:
1) That four of the people I met there were really nice. You know who you are. :) Kidding. Everyone was great. Have I said that enough yet?
2) That I may not have to take that job at Wal-Mart as the greeter. At least not until Keith sees my reworks.
3) There really isn't enough time to spend with everyone you want.

PS-I learned an awful lot about photography and the business also. :)

Jackie_Haggerty
01-11-2008, 02:48 AM
OK, OK, OK.....

I KNOW I passed out to a number of you something to write goals down on.....

did you do it? :eek:

Cindi_K_McDaniel
01-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Here goes:

I think I finally got the guts to enter THE competition!

I learned the Hyatt is a pretty good walk to the convention center!

I learned that ourppa is full of REAL people with so much personality!!!

There is so much more, but I'll stick to three for now...

Liz_Vance
01-11-2008, 03:53 AM
OK, OK, OK.....

My first goal is to unpack my suitcase and find that list. Eventually. (I've got lots of other clothes.)

JohnHeckler
01-11-2008, 04:02 AM
ok, here is my serious 3 ... if it can only be 3 ...

1) the difference between opacity and fill (yes, there IS a difference). Thanks Jeff and Mark!

2) Linda Gregory's lab has to be good as her prints were of surpreme quality viewed in real life ... and her photography is smoking!

3) Cost of Goods Sold !!!

Bonus if you buy all three: Hire a "main" shooter for weddings (ie formals, etc) and shoot 2nd shooter yourself! :-)

Linda_Gregory
01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
THREE???!!!! Hmmmm....narrowing down, narrowing down.............................................. .................................................. ........................

1. Asking more than one PEC judge will get you just what you think it'll get you. Great advice that may not be the same

2. If you first don't understand, go ahead, ask someone else!

3. You all are WONDERFUL and Jane has amazing taste in clothes.

Linda_Gregory
01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
(Pretending I didn't post before so I get more)

Just three? Okay, here goes!

1. Conk a Bonk is a two fold game that can grow with the participants age

2. Dirty clothes DO weigh more than clean ones. Anyone seeing me desperately trying to repack at the airport (no? That's right, I was one of the very last to leave) would know.

3. Party animals are gentle with us lightweights

There. Howzat list?

Suzy_Roberts
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
1. Apparently, I'm a bad influence :)
2. Dawn, LOVES me...and dances...but only to SexyBack
3. Zack (Zach??? sorry on the spelling man!!) is a total sweetie!!!

Heather_L._Smith
01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
1) I learned as much, if not more, outside of the workshops as I did inside of the workshops (huge thank you to Jackie, who taught me something awesome about lighting in the first 10 minutes, and to Jeff who taught me to actually look and study comp prints - the good, bad, and ugly, and to Mark who remined me that it's okay to be scared to jump off the cliff... but you still have to jump, and to Keith (I love you, Keith), who taught me to look at my work in a new way... and where and why to raise my prices)
2) that a photoshop class at 7am on the 3rd day is not a good idea.
3) That I really CAN do this... I CAN make a living... I CAN be successful, and I DO have a great support group (that's you guys)

D._Craig_Flory
01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
OK, OK, OK.....

Hi Jackie;

I started to read this and it was totally out of context. You didn't really write "I KNOW I passed out to a number of you". After reading about all of the partying, that's how I read it at first. :D :D :D

Jackie_Haggerty
01-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Craig,

I just gave a handout to those that watched the first program....

If you want to know about passing out though, there are others here that are experts in that.... :D

Cheri_MacCallum
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I learned as much, if not more, outside of the workshops as I did inside of the workshops

This really is so often the case at conventions and seminars. The conversations that go on in the hallways and lunches and dinners are as valuable as the convention speakers! There were some really good speakers this year!

Lori_Clapp
01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm going AGAIN and you can't stop me!!!

1. I learned that Dawn thinks every one of us is SO CUTE, and SO FUN, and SO NICE, and she loves us all. And she means it, and she is all of the above, and I'm way glad I met her!!

2. I learned after getting home, that there were a lot of things that went on that I had no clue about - and I thought I was in the middle of everything!!

3. I learned that it's okay to skip classes at Imaging, because, thank goodness, you will more than make up for the learning you missed, over a beer that night!

Marc - are you trying to say you didn't drink anything?!?

Lori_Clapp
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
And just for the record - I did NOT pass out during the entire convention.

although I was reading through my notes from one class last night, and my notes said, "pro RGB color profile - no clue what that means - dozed off". I actually wrote that in my notes. Lol!! But I did NOT pass out!

Linda_Gregory
01-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm going AGAIN and you can't stop me!!!

1. I learned that Dawn thinks every one of us is SO CUTE, and SO FUN, and SO NICE, and she loves us all. And she means it, and she is all of the above, and I'm way glad I met her!!

2. I learned after getting home, that there were a lot of things that went on that I had no clue about - and I thought I was in the middle of everything!!

3. I learned that it's okay to skip classes at Imaging, because, thank goodness, you will more than make up for the learning you missed, over a beer that night!

Lori,

HERE HERE on all counts! I knew I wasn't in the middle but even on the sidelines I missed tons!

Dawn, you were the surprise star. :)

Michael_Gan
01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
NEVER enough time at IUSA:

1. Spend more time, other than brief hellos, with the OurPPA gang.
2. We're on the right track as a "Boutique" studio.
3. Those hor d'ouvres are murder on our waistlines (or should I say wastelines?)!

Valerie_Harte
01-18-2008, 09:47 PM
I learned:
1) That Sexy Timberback is the coolest nicest song ever.
2) Some people are still married after a gillion years and cute like they just met (Jeff and Carolle)
3) I should never ever let anything be scheduled that makes me come home on the third day again.

Ok... I have to cheat and add #4...
Even if you drop off the forum for a while people will be sooo cool and soo nice and welcome you back with open arms and even teach you how to get more tickets LOL

Stephanie_Millner
01-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Valerie, your #1 and (especially) #3 made me laugh out loud! :)