PDA

View Full Version : Please critique for competion

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Okay my state convention is end of Feb and print cases are due 2/15. I've procrastinated long enough. Please critique these and tell me if they're comp-worthy or should I look for more images. I've got a few more to post in a little while...Oh and title suggestions are welcome, too...I haven't thought about titles at all yet. :D Thanks so much!
http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/upload/12000003390711_kids.jpg
http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/upload/12000006206043_danielle.jpg
http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/upload/12000008816866_pansy_bud.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
01-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Cassandra
Here goes, I am a bit under the weather so if I get too blunt I appologize.

#1 It appears to be too light and a bit over saturated, the blue shirts and green grass I think will start to glow under the lights. I think it will be in the above average catagorie because the horizon line cuts them at the necks.
I can't tell on this file if the sand the girl is kicking up is real or a smudge that was added.

#2 Too light. You need to remove the catch light from the reflector on the shadow side of the face as it is larger than the catch light from the main. Make the main catch lights horz kinda lines to resemble the sky outdoors. The lighting looks like a balance of flash and available. There is a line on her right cheek that would also need to be fixed. The clump of her hands under her chin is a bit distracting as well. I think it to will be in the above average catagory.

#3 IF the ENTIRE bloom is sharp this one should do well but I think the edges of the petals look soft. If it is soft it would be more iffy. Very hard to tell with this file size.

Just My Opinions
Keith

Don_Chick
01-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Cassandra,

As always, Keith has covered it well. I would add that (for me) in image 1 the "weight" of the dark rock in the front left keeps pulling my eye away from the center of interest (the kids). Also, the boat on the left (to me) creates a very strong 2nd center of interest competing with the kids. If you were going to compete with this image consider vignetting the edges a bit to strengthen the kids as the primary center of interest.

The second image (again to me!) is all about lighting. The way the light is presented on the subject keeps it in the average/above average category.
Good luck!

Art_Wright
01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm just curious why you watermark these images for critique here?

Don_Chick
01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Because someone could copy them.... There are over 9000 people on this forum and it is open to the public....

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
In response to Keith:
#1 - Yes it's real sand being kicked up. Where is an acceptable place for the horizon to cut thru someone? Since I'm at the beach all the time there's always a horizon to deal with. Nothing ever looks right to me.

#2 - your comment about flash & ambient - it's only early morning sun (right at sunrise actually) - or maybe you're saying it 'looks' like it? Anyway I see the lighting issues (this was made before the Photo Safari :D )

#3 - The depth-of-field is extremely narrow and therefore not much is in focus. I keep meaning to redo this one with more DOF...maybe this spring. I personally like the softness of it but I know it's technically off.

And Don:
For #1 - your comment on the rock - that I didn't see until you mentioned it. Helps me scrutinize my images more.

Anyway I knew there were issues...I'll look for more images...

Steve_Bedell
01-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Cassandra,
I agree with all that's been said. BUT. I really love that flower. If there is no sharp area you may want to consider making the entire image a little soft (heresy, I know) and romantic looking. Also make sure the white mat is not whiter than the subject background, as it looks here. I am struck by the wonderful color and shape of the flower and would 'play around' with it.