PDA

View Full Version : Lanscapes for possible comp

cat_broderick
01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Me again! I have two landscape images I am considering entering. Would love feedback. Is the sunrise one too cliche? No title as of yet.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Cat,
These are both interesting images.

My comments are on the second one. THis view of Bryce leaves me asking if there is really a central interest in the image. The arch gets lost as it is the same value as the exposed rock. I love the skyline, and sky, light on the rocks, but can't seem to find a crop to give it some flow. Keep them coming though. Show us more!!!

cat_broderick
01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Just saw you reply Jeff, thanks. Will look for more.

Cheri_MacCallum
01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I agree with Jeff on the second image. On the first one, try flipping it. Putting the tree on viewer's right is more in keeping with how we read, left to right. That way our eye will ultimately rest on the tree. Also try recropping it so that all the tree is in the image. Cropping part of the tree out leads the eye out of the image.

cat_broderick
01-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately, thats the whole frame. No problem, moving on. How about either one of these?

Keith_A_Howe
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Cat, when I am looking at your landscapes and then looking at your portrait work, a big difference stands out to me. Your portraits all have a strong center of interest. In your landscapes my eye bounces around a lot because my brain is not telling it where to land. While they are beautiful images, they lack a focal point, either because you have included elements that distract or because of the positioning of the main element within the scene. For example on these last two images, in the first, are we supposed to look at the barn or at the tree. Niether one is strong enough to be the center of attention, so your eye bounces back and forth. (also the horizon line is right across the center of the print) On the lily pond image, there is so much going on you can't get to the flower, which I assume is your main subject.

I find this interesting because a lot of times photographers that are new to competition will enter a lot of scenic or art type images while they are working to make their portraits stronger. You on the other hand have strong portrait work, well worth getting your feet wet in print competition. It is your landscapes that would not score as highly as your portraits, at least IMO. If your goal is to improve your landscapes and you really want to enter them, then by all means do so. If you are trying to find your four strongest images for competition, I would stick with your portraits. Niether choice is wrong, just different goals.

Keith

cat_broderick
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks Keith. Glad to hear you think the portrait work is strong! Just trying to mix it up a bit, at our state level we can enter 6. I have not entered regional or national yet. YET!

Rick_Massarini
01-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Cat, you've put some nice stuff up here on the forum. Don't hold back - go ahead and send them to National. You never know how good you are until the judges tell you so... So give it a try...

Keith_A_Howe
01-13-2008, 04:38 PM
at our state level we can enter 6. I have not entered regional or national yet. YET!

Thats great, it lets you enter and find the 4 strongest to send on to your regional or international competition. Go for it. Good Luck Keith