PDA

View Full Version : Possible Competition Print.....

Julie_DeGuia
01-07-2008, 01:38 AM
I like this one because I think it has impact and draws the viewer into the image. A good title, which I haven't come up with yet, would help with the impact as well. She is a HS senior so something to do with that maybe? She is shy, but there is some confidence behind her little smile.....

Anyway, technically I am not so sure. There are some hotspots and not a lot of detail in the shadows as it is now. I think the original file is fine but when I processed using some actions detail was lost. So I will have to go back and reprocess. Also fairly flat lighting b/c this is the lighted half of the image....

Well, some of you are probably busy at IUSA but would love to hear opinions from those checking in. I am very open to any critique and will not be offended!

I would like to enter this at a state level in April.

Thanks,
Julie

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/HeidiCompetition-resize.jpg?t=1199669322

DianeDavis
01-07-2008, 01:43 AM
I like the image, colors and expression. I am bothered by the abrupt crop- though I know it could work.

That is my two cents-- and probably all it is worth ;)

D._Craig_Flory
01-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Julie;

As a senior portrait, it works very well. For competition, I don't think it would get higher than a 75.

The bright pink overpowers the subject layer. She is way over to the right ... far right of the 3rd and 4th quadrants, so the composition is off. (her eye is actually in between the two and far right) There are no shadows on her face so you will probably get nailed for flat lighting. I don't care for the square crop of the subject layer. I'm sorry but this one doesn't do it for me.

Please post some more images.

Lori_Clapp
01-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Julie,

We are sitting at IUSA and a group of us came across your thread. As a large consensus we believe that your image IS beautiful and that a 75 is not giving it enough credit. We love that it is so striking. I don't know about what type of score it would get, but we really do think that it has more potential.

Keith (I want to see the whole file!)
Lori
Jackie
Zack
Jeff
Gordon
Betsy

Julie_DeGuia
01-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks Diane and Craig. I do appreciate your honesty, Craig.... I will post another I have in mind in a separate thread.

To the group from convention, thanks! I am glad you took the time to look at my post and I will put up the full image tomorrow for Keith to look over. The photobucket site is down for maintenance..... There is a reason I cropped it though, so we'll see.

Julie

Don_Chick
01-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I thought 75 seemed low.... You will want to watch that the shadow areas don't "block up" and go black w/o detail (it's probably just the image as it appears on the computer and is fine in person)

Julie_DeGuia
01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks Don. The image would need to be reprossed before printing. An action I applied originally darkened some of the shadows too much.

Keith, here is the full image. I don't really like the shadow side of the face, which is probably one of the reasons I experimented with cropping in the first place. I thought the crop gave it more impact/mystery, but for competition I am not sure?

Julie

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/HeidiCompetition2-resize.jpg?t=1199808955

D._Craig_Flory
01-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Julie;

I like that much better ... even though the shadows aren't quite dark enough and the lighting pattern doesn't quite reach loop lighting. I still like it better than the face cut in half. That has much more potential ... very nice.

Julie_DeGuia
01-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks Craig. I will work on dropping that one on a canvas and seeing what I can do.

Any other opinions/critique would be most welcome!

Julie

Keith_A_Howe
01-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Julie
I like the color in the background which adds a viberancy and impact to the image. I really want to love this image. The main problem on the split crop is the heal of her left hand showing which is why I wanted to see the full frame. Unfortunately her left hand is still a distraction that I do not see being able to overcome to reach a merit. You might want to try leaning her on one hand only as it will make her hands more graceful and less distracting. Usually when a person leans on both hands it is more a boredom or dispondant attitude. Her face is turned just a bit too far to the camera right making it a broad light situation as well (note the split crop did solve the broad lighting issue). The split face crop exagerates the unevenness (is that a real word?) of her face. You notice that the center line of the forhead, nose and chin do not line up. This is very common on people, we are not semetrically balanced.
In my opinion this is a good image to enter and learn from, get several judges opinions as to how to improve the image. IMO it will score in the average to the above average catagory.
Keith