PDA

View Full Version : CPP study groups

cat_broderick
01-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I know this has been done in the past, wonder if anyone is formulating a group soon?;)

D._Craig_Flory
01-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Hi Cat;

I'm not entirely sure who ran one before but I think it was Betsy Finn. They met "on-line" on a particular and at the same time every week. I would suggest contacting her.

Whoever ran them before can probably give you details on how to set one up.

DianeDavis
01-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi Cat-
Yeah, Betsy did do a study group a couple of years ago. She set me up to do one last year and then life got in the way. I know there are several folks that would be interested, they just need a leader ;).

cat_broderick
01-05-2008, 02:30 AM
I know there are several folks that would be interested, they just need a leader ;).
Thats what I was afraid of!

Just kidding. I will contact Betsey.

David_A._Lottes
01-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Hey I have no life and I'd love to take the test for my re-cert! :)

I think Diane should be the leader....do I have a second on that motion?

Stephanie_Millner
01-05-2008, 11:46 AM
I'll second and third that motion, David! I go to sleep with the Barbara London book every night - but so far, I've yet to actually read it. :)

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Hey I heard once that you should put your study book under your pillow the night before a test - then you can absorb all the contents while sleeping and therefore pass the test with flying colors. :D (Hehe I'm starting to sound like Ron Jackson, I think)

Hey Cat if you're up for getting a group together in this area (SE Mass) let me know! Are you going to take the test at the PPAM convention this year?

Mark_Levesque
01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Studying Edgar Cayce style, huh? I'm thinking reading might be more effective for most of us. ;)

cat_broderick
01-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Yes Cassandra, now that I have posted here I guess I am committed to it! Its scheduled for sunday morning but I am thinking friday morning would be more beneficial ;-) and sensible! Do you agree?

Is Diane in? David, I think you volunteered with the "no life" comment!

Erica_Larsh
01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm interested in joining the study group, too. Maybe that will make me set a goal to take the test. :-)

Michael_Bobinski
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a neat idea to me! Count me in.

David_A._Lottes
01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Well I guess the first thing we would need to do is make sure everyone has the new London book so that we can all be "on the same page". I don't have it yet. I'll try to get my hands on a copy sometime next week. Once we know who all is in and everyone has the book we can start reading chapters and taking the sample tests. The last time when Betsy headed up this effort there were several good threads on the subject in this area of the forum. Might be a good Idea to dig those up as well. Meanwhile chime in here if you want to start working on taking the test.

cat_broderick
01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm in I should have the London book on tuesday.

DianeDavis
01-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey I have no life and I'd love to take the test for my re-cert! :)

I think Diane should be the leader....do I have a second on that motion?

Oh, Man- go to sleep, wake up a leader--

I would love to be a part of the group, I just can't commit to lead it right now :(- Thanks for the confidence though :D. David, looks to me like you are already filling that role-- I vote you continue with the good work!

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Yes Cassandra, now that I have posted here I guess I am committed to it! Its scheduled for sunday morning but I am thinking friday morning would be more beneficial ;-) and sensible! Do you agree?

Sunday morning? Seriously? {groan}

Anyone know how much of a lead time you need to sign up for the test? Our convention is end of Feb and I'm not sure I want to commit to it if I don't feel ready...:o

David_A._Lottes
01-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Good Question Cassandra.
I've been thinking we need to set-up a time frame. Also figure out how many chapters a week we will be doing in order to finish the book before the test. If everyone could post what date they can take the test we could start figuring this out. I'm seriously thinking of taking mine in October with D.Craig in Pennsylvania. But I don't mind finishing the book before that and then just using the lag time for review. I have to take mine before November. What's everyone elses time frame?

cat_broderick
01-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Our test (MA) is the weekend of Feb 22nd. Cassandra, its also offered April 27th at NHPPA, which was when I planned to take it but I have another committment that weekend. I think you need to let them know a week in advance so they can get the copy of the test for you. ? Check that at certifiedphotographer.com as I am not sure. It was in our latest newsletter who to contact to sign up.

David_A._Lottes
01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Here's the link to the certification liaisons.

Liaisons (http://certifiedphotographer.com/ppa-liaisons.html)

Open the PDF on that page and it will give you the contact info for each state. You can take the exam at any location, you don't have to be a member of the group where it is being given....you don't even have to be a PPA member, you just don't get the PPA member discount if your not. Once you find out when you can take the test let us know. If we wind up going for Feb 22nd it might be a bit of a rush through. Maybe see if you can take it later at a neigboring state before we commit to that.

D._Craig_Flory
01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Good Question Cassandra.
I've been thinking we need to set-up a time frame. Also figure out how many chapters a week we will be doing in order to finish the book before the test. If everyone could post what date they can take the test we could start figuring this out. I'm seriously thinking of taking mine in October with D.Craig in Pennsylvania. But I don't mind finishing the book before that and then just using the lag time for review. I have to take mine before November. What's everyone elses time frame?

Hi David;

Since you mentioned it, here are the four dates I'll be giving the exam in 2008 (all are at 10:30AM so anyone wanting to attend the programs won't miss anything) : Sunday February 10th / Sunday April 10th / Sunday June 8th / and Sunday October 5th. The 1st three meetings are regular two day meetings and October is our annual convention.

David_A._Lottes
01-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I went to the library and put in a request for the new London book. They say it will take about a week for me to get it. My local system doesn't have a copy yet so they are requesting it from another system. If I'm moving to slow for the rest of you, go on without me. I'll catch up. :)

Erica_Larsh
01-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Is the group definitely meeting on Sunday morning? If so, I'll just have to read the chat log at a different time as I will be at church with the family. But, I'd still love to participate!

David_A._Lottes
01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Erica
I think they were talking about what day of their convention the test would be on. I don't think anyone has mentioned when or how we would be meeting. I think it would be fun to just do it right here in this thread and let anyone on line contribute. Maybe Tuesdays at 7:00 pm EST?

Erica_Larsh
01-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks, David. That sounds good to me. I need to order the book, but I think it will be here in time if we start next week.

Lois_Byrne
01-08-2008, 01:41 AM
I'd be interested in knowing more about this study group. Take care, Lois

Erica_Larsh
01-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Which version of the London book should we buy? Is there much of a difference b/w the 2005 and 2007 edition?

David_A._Lottes
01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I have asked my library to send me the 9th ed. It's the newest one and I see you can get it used on Amazon for around $80.00. I'll probably buy a copy but i want to kick the tires first.

Hi Lois,
I'm thinking this group will be made up of people planning to take the CPP exam sometime this year. We will all be on-line Tuesday nights at 7:00 pm EST for at least an hour to go over chapters together. I don't have the book but I think there is a sample quiz at the end of each chapter. We could each choose a couple of questions from the sample test to post and discuss from each chapter.

If anyone all ready has the 9th edition I'd like to know how many chapters there are. We need to figure out how many chapters per week we will be covering to get people through by the time they take the test. Then again we could all converge on D. Craig at the same time. Although I'm not sure the Pennsylvania group is ready for a bunch of OurPPA ers to hit them all at once. :D

D._Craig_Flory
01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I have asked my library to send me the 9th ed. It's the newest one and I see you can get it used on Amazon for around $80.00. I'll probably buy a copy but i want to kick the tires first.

Hi Lois,
I'm thinking this group will be made up of people planning to take the CPP exam sometime this year. We will all be on-line Tuesday nights at 7:00 pm EST for at least an hour to go over chapters together. I don't have the book but I think there is a sample quiz at the end of each chapter. We could each choose a couple of questions from the sample test to post and discuss from each chapter.

If anyone all ready has the 9th edition I'd like to know how many chapters there are. We need to figure out how many chapters per week we will be covering to get people through by the time they take the test. Then again we could all converge on D. Craig at the same time. Although I'm not sure the Pennsylvania group is ready for a bunch of OurPPA ers to hit them all at once. :D

Hi David;

I think that's a great idea !!! I've had two Forum members travel here, to Pa., to take the exam from me ... Cindi K. McDaniel this past fall and Karen Linsley the year before. BOTH PASSED ... and they both told me they passed because they knew me from here and felt more comfortable. Since you said you are leaning towards taking it with me in October ... our year got flipped around this year and the October meeting is now our convention, trade show, and print competition. You could all sign up and stay for the programs !

Keep in mind that there are other Forum members who belong to our state group ... for example John Stein. So you would see others besides me you would know from here.

David_A._Lottes
01-09-2008, 12:00 AM
So here are the first three questions for anyone enterested in being in the study group.

1. Do you have the book?

2. When are you taking the exam?

3. What is your goal?
a. Pass the exam
b. Comprehend the material
c. All of the above :)

Louise_St.Romain
01-09-2008, 01:29 AM
So here are the first three questions for anyone enterested in being in the study group.

1. Do you have the book?

3. What is your goal?
a. Pass the exam

Well, I'm interested in joining the group.

1) I do have the 9th edition (it has 18 chapters BTW)
2) have not signed up for it yet, would like to be able to take the exam in October.
3) c. :D

Erica_Larsh
01-09-2008, 01:43 AM
1. I have ordered the book.
2. I've not signed up. I need to see when it will be offered nearby.
3. c.

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-09-2008, 01:53 AM

1. Do you have the book?

3. What is your goal?
a. Pass the exam

1 - It's sitting in my Amazon.com shopping cart at the moment - should have it by next week
2 - Maybe end of Feb.; if I don't feel ready, then possibly in NH in April
3 - c - of course!

Mary_Pargett
01-09-2008, 01:58 AM
I too would love to join this group, especially this time of year when things are a little bit slower. Please send me more info! Thanks! Mary

Mary_Pargett
01-09-2008, 02:00 AM
Oh, and I don't know when to take the exam. I am in Nebraska....It really sort of worries me....I've heard its really hard....And of course I want to pass it! I have the older book, not the current one. What is the current one?

David_A._Lottes
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Here's the current book Photography (http://www.amazon.com/Photography-9th-Barbara-London/dp/0131752014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199878811&sr=1-1) I bet my copy is older than yours. Mine is actually the 2nd ed. 1981c. :eek:

Louise, Does the new book have sample tests at the end of each chapter? My old one does not. With 18 chapters that means we will need to cover 3 a week to get Cassandra finished by the end of February. Then we can just keep reviewing until everyone is Certified.

So next Tuesday at 7:00 pm eastern time if I have the book by then and if there are sample tests at the end of each chapter I will post one question from each of the first three chapters. We can all answer the questions and then review the answers. The next week on Tuesday evening we will move on to the next three chapters.

If there are no sample tests, I'll make up three questions based on what is covered in the first three chapters. If I don't have the book by Monday I'll ask Louise to come up with the first three. So start reading those chapters Louise. :D

Louise_St.Romain
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
If there are no sample tests, I'll make up three questions based on what is covered in the first three chapters. If I don't have the book by Monday I'll ask Louise to come up with the first three. So start reading those chapters Louise. :D

It does not have sample tests at the end of each chapter... me, come up with quiz questions?! :eek:

Michael_Bobinski
01-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Other than the sample questions, whats different about the newer version? There are a bunch of these on ebay that are a much cheaper than Amazon. What would I be missing if I purchased an older edition?

D._Craig_Flory
01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Other than the sample questions, whats different about the newer version? There are a bunch of these on ebay that are a much cheaper than Amazon. What would I be missing if I purchased an older edition?

Hi Michael;

If you want to study about sheet film and Speed Graphics, stay with the older ones. ;) I'm kidding, of course. Think about the inroads digital has made and you will appreciate why a newer book is essential. When I passed the exam in 1986 the questions were far different from today.

Michael_Bobinski
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Michael;

If you want to study about sheet film and Speed Graphics, stay with the older ones. ;) I'm kidding, of course. Think about the inroads digital has made and you will appreciate why a newer book is essential. When I passed the exam in 1986 the questions were far different from today.

OK. When I visited the Amazon link that David provided, my interpretation of the first review seemed to indicate that beyond the "obligatory" chapter about digital, it was pretty much the same book.

I'll find a new one.

David_A._Lottes
01-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Michael
The PPA web site links to this edition 8th ed. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131896091/ppaphotocentr-20/) You could use this one and be fine. Personally I'm more interested in the learning the latest information than cribbing for the test. Fact is I passed the 1997 exam using the 1981 text but I didn't learn anything, just brushed up on what I all ready knew. That's not the goal for me this time around. I want to learn the newest stuff. Honestly some of you could walk in to the exam cold and pass it. That's why I asked what the goal is, learning or passing. Anyone who wants to learn, should get the 8th or 9th edition and read along with us. If you just want to see if you could pass it knowing what you all ready know then follow this thread and see how you do :)

We will have three questions up next Tuesday at 7:00 pm (Right Louise) ;) Then we will all try to answer them by Friday. On Friday "we" will post the correct answers and then argue about (I mean discuss) them until the next Tuesday when we move on to the next three questions. Anyone is welcome to follow along and contribute but I'll use my magic powers to keep the thread moving along from one set of chapters to the next each week. (Unless I loose my Mojo) :cool:

Rozanne_Cadotte
01-10-2008, 12:30 AM
I would also be interested in this group! I signed up last year with Betsy and Diane, but then it faltered with trying to set up another study site elsewhere. I have the 7th ed. from '02 and there are 17 ch., no test questions at end. And it soo puts me to sleep, so I need this group to keep me moving thru it! Next Tuesday nite is a deal!:)

Rozanne_Cadotte
01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Oops, next Tuesday is my local DPPA meeting, I'll follow up later with your posts.

Stephanie_Millner
01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Sure, count me in. :)
1. Yes. 8th ed.
2. Uh... I can take it in Feb or Apr
3. the letter q. (since C was already taken)
So... what is the final date/time of the study session? Something we're going to do over AIM?

David_A._Lottes
01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Something we're going to do over AIM?

Naw...we're just gonna do it right here. Tuesday nights at 7:00 pm Eastern time. Like Rozanne says, if you can't follow along one week the posts will be here for you to catch up on. We're Mike Fulton style "No Secrets". :)

Scott_Painter
01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Will an older addition work? the one from 6th edition is like less than 10 on ebay. what am i missing in newer addition?

David_A._Lottes
01-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure Scott. I guess you could try following along with an older edition and see if you get lost. I'm going to derive the questions and answers from the chapters in the new edition. Question 1 from material in Chapter one etc. I'm using the newest edition because I want the latest information. I guess we'll find out if there is anything really different about the older editions. You might find that it covers the material just fine or you might decide it lacks some info. The real mission is to give people an incentive to read and study for the test. By the end of February there should be eighteen questions and answers posted here. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Knowing the answers to those eighteen questions won't get you through the test but reading the material that contains the answers to those eighteen questions should give us a huge advantage. :)

Larry_Weathers
01-10-2008, 06:16 PM

1. Do you have the book?

3. What is your goal?
a. Pass the exam

I'm also interested in joining the study group. I have the new version of the book coming but am not sure if it will arrive in time to study for the first session. I'll have to catch up. I intend to take the exam as soon as it is offered in my area (Miss/Ala/Tenn).
C.

David_A._Lottes
01-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Don't worry Larry
The questions for chapters 1 through 3 will be up for discussion until the next Tuesday. So even if you don't get the chapters read by Tuesday you'll still have another week before we move on to the next three. :)

Stacy_Fulton
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd like to join the group as well. I plan on taking the exam probably at the same place Larry is! :)

David_A._Lottes
01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
That's great Stacy!
You and Larry can give each other moral support the day of the exam. :)

Mary_Pargett
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
So, we read chapters 1-3, then you have discussions? Or questions? or answers? How does this work exactly?

Stacy_Fulton
01-10-2008, 07:14 PM
yes David I'm sure I'll be needing all the moral support I can get! :)

By the way, I have the 8th edition book. Looking forward to getting started!

David_A._Lottes
01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
So, we read chapters 1-3, then you have discussions? Or questions? or answers? How does this work exactly?

Yup
Read chapters 1-3 between now and Tuesday the 15th. At 7:00 pm eastern time I'll post three questions. Then we will have until the next Tuesday to argue (I mean discuss) the answers. I won't post my answers until Friday the 18th. We can discuss them until Tuesday the 22nd at 7:00 pm when I post three more questions from chapters 4-6 etc. etc. until we get through the book at the end of February. :)

cat_broderick
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
1.I have the 6th edition in my hands, awaiting the 8th.
2.Test Feb 22nd weekend in MA
3. All of the above

Mary_Pargett
01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
sounds great! I'm off to buy #8. I have #6 also. I need to just take this thing, and quit buying new editions of the same book! :mad:

David_A._Lottes
01-11-2008, 04:12 PM
If you find that the newer edition isn't much different than the one you all ready have let us know. I'm sure everyone would like to know what's different. No doubt some here who could still put an outdated copy to good use if your feeling charitable. I hope that even if some chapters are redundant you will still be glad you have the additional material in the newer one. I'm sure I'll be better off than I am now with my 1981 2nd ed. :)

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I would love to be part of this study group also, if that's okay. I don't have the book, but can borrow it from a friend. I would like to test before (sooner rather than later) June, but depends on scheduling issues. And c. I'll check in on Tuesday . . .

Elizabeth

Mary_Pargett
01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I have the 7th, and the 8th is not at the bookstore. So, I'm reading the 7th, and will compare to see if I can actually follow along or not. If its outdated, I'll invest. They need to stop making these new books, and new updates to everything under the sun!

Heather_L._Smith
01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Please count me in, too!! I need to do this and can't do it without a support group :-)

[hello, my name is Heather and I can't study from a book]

I'm just 30 miles from PPA headquarters, so I can take the test any time. Oh, and I have the 8th edition.

However, since I'm just NOW reading this thread, I'll have to get myself in gear to get the chapters read before tomorrow. I'm heading to the Ed Pierce "Captivated by the Light" seminar tonight, so I guess I'll be up late reading. It should help me fall asleep :-) Actually, I've read it before, so hopefully a good, solid skimming will work for tonight.

George_Hawkins
01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Let us know what Ed's program is like.
He may not remember my name, but I once showed him a pic of him in small row boat, and chatted with him in the BVI, sailing!
You never know where you cross paths with someone met before!

George

David_A._Lottes
01-15-2008, 11:36 PM
When I took the exam in 1997 it was multiple choice. I'm guessing it still is so the questions I'll be posting are also multiple choice. If I remember the instructions right it said that each question had a "best" answer. This implies that some questions could have more than one correct answer to choose from but only one "best" answer. Anyway, here's the first three questions. Everyone please give Louise St.Romain a big Thank you! She gave me the ideas for these questions and from what I understand she is already reading chapter six! WAY TO GO LOUISE! Please post your answers to these questions and feel free to ask your own regarding the material covered in chapters 1 through 3. I will post the answers to these first three on Friday and we can keep going over these and other questions from chapters 1 through 3 until Tuesday January 22nd at 7:00 pm eastern time. Then we will move on to chapters 4 through 6. Good luck! :)

1. Which of the following factors influence shutter speed?
a. ISO
b. File size
c. Distance to subject

2. The term "stop" in photography refers to which of the following?
a. Mode
b. Focal length
c. Amount of exposure

3. A compound lens has more advantages over a single element lens in which of the following qualities?
a. Durability
b. Focusing
c. Stabilization

Larry_Weathers
01-16-2008, 12:07 AM
1a ISO
2c amount of exposure
3b focusing

Keely_Deuschle
01-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi David,

I took the test last week at IUSA and they are all multiple choice questions and there are questions with more than one correct answer, you just have to choose the best correct answer.

Keely

TerryMiller
01-16-2008, 12:22 AM
1. A
2. C
3. B

I'm going to try and do this without a book. I've been doing this for over 25 years soo I better know most of these:D

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-16-2008, 04:07 AM
1 - a.
2 - c.
3 - b

I'm checking in from Atlanta (on a biz trip for my 9-5 job - I think I brought the New England weather with me - brrrr!!!). Finished chapter 3 on the plane.

What did everyone learn that they didn't know before?
Most of Chapter 1-3 was pretty basic stuff, but the 'circle of confusion', tho I've heard of it before, I didn't know what it was. Also the explanation of what 'elements' are in a lens. I've seen the mfrs specs on lenses mentioning elements, but I had no idea what that meant. Now I do!

Stephanie_Millner
01-16-2008, 04:11 AM
a
c
b

Also, aren't there 4 multiple choice answers? Just, if we're gonna study together, it seems like we should make the questions as close to the test format as possible... Appreciate what's up so far though!

I'm naughty. I haven't finished (or demystified) all of 3 yet... :(

David_A._Lottes
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks Stephanie
I didn't remember that, I'll put four choices on the next set of questions. :o

Heather_L._Smith
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Woohoo! I scrolled VERY carefully through this thread to find the questions first, then wrote my answers on a sticky note before scrolling any further and seeing the other answers.

So far, so good... my answers are the same as everyone else's.

1) A
2) C
3) B

My problem is that I tend to think too much into the questions... no so much on these, but I start to second guess myself. Had the same problem back on my SAT's!

I'm trying to be really good and highlight stuff in the book AND write it down in a notebook. Hopefully it'll really stick that way.

D._Craig_Flory
01-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Heather;

Before I let them begin I usually tell those taking the C.P.P. exam from me that the 1st choice is usually the best one but, if not sure, skip and go back. That's why you are allowed up to two hours.

I also usually ask if anyone needs to scream to let it out ... great stress buster. Anyone who was nervous laughs and can then get serious without the tummy being in knots.

Heather_L._Smith
01-16-2008, 03:46 PM
DC - how many questions are on the exam?

Louise_St.Romain
01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks Stephanie
I didn't remember that, I'll put four choices on the next set of questions. :o

and after I sent you four choices for each question! :p

Mark_Levesque
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
one hundred. it's not a 2 hour test. You will finish with a boatload of time remaining. Then go through and at the bottom of the page, right down how many questions you "know" you got right. Add up all the numbers at the bottom of the page. If you get to the high 50s you are in good shape.

Heather_L._Smith
01-16-2008, 04:13 PM
You need to score around 70%, right?

Mark_Levesque
01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, 70 is passing.

Erica_Larsh
01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
1. a
2. c
3. b

I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't sure about #3. Focusing just seemed to be the logical answer, but I must have zoned out while reading that part. I have the latest edition--does anyone know where that is discussed?

Also, I was afraid we would have some math-type questions in regard to f-stops. Are there any of those types of questions on the test?

Thanks for facilitating this David. I'd never get it done on my own. :-)

Erica

Erica_Larsh
01-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Heather,

You mentioned that you could take the test in Atlanta at any time. I might drive up there to do that the next time my husband has business up there. What's the procedure?

Thanks,

Erica

David_A._Lottes
01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't sure about #3.--does anyone know where that is discussed?

It's just a general reference to why modern compound lenses are built the way they are. Chapter 3. Sorry if I took a leap with on that one. ;)

Thanks for the info Mark
It's good to know 70% is passing.........it used to be 82%. :cool:

Heather_L._Smith
01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Erica -
It's on pg 41 in the 8th edition. It shows how different types of glass bend the light in different ways.

And, yes, we can take the test any time in Atlanta. We just call a few days ahead and schedule it. Where is Richmond Hill? I'm actually in Cumming, just about 30 miles north of Atlanta. it would be great to meet up with someone there!

Erica_Larsh
01-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi Heather,

I'm on the coast--Richmond Hill is a bedroom community of Savannah. It takes me 4-5 hours to get to Atlanta depending upon how the traffic/road construction is from Macon into the city. I have an unhealthy obsession with IKEA and look for any possible reason to go to Atlanta even though I could probably take the test much closer in Jacksonville or Charleston at some point.

Thanks to both of you for referencing that #3--In the 9th edition it's on p. 39. I was so very bored with the reading by that point. So, no math questions??? :-)

David_A._Lottes
01-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I'll make sure to do something with the inverse square law at some point, just for you Erica. :D

Heather_L._Smith
01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
...the inverse square law...

Now THAT makes me sick to my stomach.

Erica_Larsh
01-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll make sure to do something with the inverse square law at some point, just for you Erica. :D

Game on, David!

GeorgeannChambers
01-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Yup
Read chapters 1-3 between now and Tuesday the 15th. At 7:00 pm eastern time I'll post three questions. Then we will have until the next Tuesday to argue (I mean discuss) the answers. I won't post my answers until Friday the 18th. We can discuss them until Tuesday the 22nd at 7:00 pm when I post three more questions from chapters 4-6 etc. etc. until we get through the book at the end of February. :)

I have been looking for a group to study with here in Iowa, but have been unable to find one. May I join your group and study with you folks?

Looked up the questions posted and cam up with the same answers as everyone else - before checking what anybody had selected. Guess I'm in good company...

David_A._Lottes
01-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Welcome aboard Georgeann! :)

Heather_L._Smith
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, here's a question that wouldn't be on the test in this form, but would be helpful when dealing with some of those math questions!

Fill in the blanks to show full stop changes in aperture (largest to smallest):

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ f8 ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

Fill in the blanks to show full stop changes in shutter speed (slowest to fastest):

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ 1/60 ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

David_A._Lottes
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Ooo you got me Heather!

Without looking at my camera I don't know the answers!
I still have the standard pre-digital stops burned into memory

1.8-2.8-4-5.6-8-11-16-22-32-64

1-1/2-1/4-1/8-1/15-1/30-1/60-1/125-1/250-1/50-1/1000

So how far off am I?

Mark_Levesque
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, Heather. The first thing I did when I took the test after I got to the first question that concerned f stops was to write all the standard stops down. The standard shutter speeds are easy enough to derive if you can multiply and divide by two, so I didn't bother. But the other helpful thing was writing down the color wheel.

Stephanie_Millner
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Good idea Mark. Do you need to know 1/3 stops now that we're all digital, and whatnot?

Mark_Levesque
01-17-2008, 06:25 PM
it's nice to know, but I think that all of the questions on the test involved standard ISOs, f-stops and shutter speeds

TerryMiller
01-17-2008, 07:02 PM
it's nice to know, but I think that all of the questions on the test involved standard ISOs, f-stops and shutter speeds

You better be right Mark or I'll come up there and throw snowballs at you:p

Jeffrey_Wang
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Just join the forum and also ordered the book. May I join this study group? I plan to take the exam in April. Thanks a lot. -Jeff

David_A._Lottes
01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Sure Jeff
But the first thing you need to do is email Gregory Aide (http://ourppa.com/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&f=2) and ask him to change your user name to your full name. It's a rule on OurPPA. No worries, just ask Gregory to change it. Thanks. :)

D._Craig_Flory
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Yes, Heather. The first thing I did when I took the test after I got to the first question that concerned f stops was to write all the standard stops down. The standard shutter speeds are easy enough to derive if you can multiply and divide by two, so I didn't bother. But the other helpful thing was writing down the color wheel.

Hi Mark;

Writing down the color wheel is a good way to learn. I just wanted to point out to anyone who doesn't know - you can' take any notes in with you. You may take an ordinary calculater but not a programable one.

Stephanie_Millner
01-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Found this online... Perhaps it will help!
http://vudat.msu.edu/uploads/pics/colourwheel.jpg
from here: http://vudat.msu.edu/uploads/pics/colourwheel.jpg

Heather_L._Smith
01-17-2008, 09:53 PM
The easiest way to remember the f-stops is to start with 1 and 1.4 - then they each double from there.

1 - 1.4 - 2 - 2.8 - 4 - 5.6 - 8 - 11 - 16 - 22 - 32 - 64

Shutter speeds just cut in half or double depending on which way you go -
1 - 1/2 - 1/4 - 1/8 - 1/15 - 1/30 - 1/60 - 1/125 - 1/500 - 1/1000 - 1/2000 - 1/4000

Now on to the color wheel!

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Just a PSA for new people that have joined the study group - Make sure you send in your CPP application to PPA - you need to do this before you can register to take the test. After sending in the application you have 2 years to pass certification.

Don_Chick
01-17-2008, 11:40 PM
The easiest way to remember the f-stops is to start with 1 and 1.4 - then they each double from there.

1 - 1.4 - 2 - 2.8 - 4 - 5.6 - 8 - 11 - 16 - 22 - 32 - 64

I have not been reading much of this thread so I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, jumping in here....

The difference between each number is the square root of 2.

Take 1 X the square root of 2 = 1.4, 1.4 times sqrt of 2 = 2, 2 X sqrt of 2 = 2.8.... etc.

Don_Chick
01-17-2008, 11:41 PM
After sending in the application you have 2 years to pass certification.

If you don't pass the requirements within the 2 years you get to pay the registration again and have another 2 years.....

Mary_Pargett
01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
good to know about sending in a registration. I would like to take it rather sooner then later, especially if we are all studying! Thanks for the great color wheel example. This thread is a great review course in itself. Thanks to everyone who is contributing!

Mary_Pargett
01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
I meant sooner rather then later. duh.

Heather_L._Smith
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Don is right about the true math of the f-stops - but for those of us that are mathmatically challenged, they way I remembered it was that if you can remember the first two numbers, you can do simple (that's the key word for me!) math to get the rest.

So, I can do the f-stops starting with 1 and get 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32. Then do the other set starting with 1.4 and get 1.4, 2.8, 5.6, 11, 22, 64.

(the math in my little scenario doesn't quite work perfectly - 11 is not double 5.6 - but it's close enough for me to remember!)

Mary_Pargett
01-18-2008, 12:03 AM
I looked at the "suggested reading" list on the PPA website, and there are 14 books listed! Are all these books important reading for us to pass the test?

David_A._Lottes
01-18-2008, 12:12 AM
I don't think so Mary
Think of it this way, if someone who had never taken a photograph and had no idea what photography was read all those books they could pass the test. Since we all have a load of practical knowledge the London book should be enough to fill in the blanks. Although I'm sure any one of those other books would be a valuable edition to anyones library.

David_A._Lottes
01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Goooooood morning Study Group

Here are the answers to the first three questions.

1.A
2.C
3.B

No surprises. :)

So keep on going over chapters 1 through 3 until Tuesday at 7:00 pm when I'll post the next set of questions for chapters 4 through 6. Next week I've got a couple of surprises lined up. ;)

D._Craig_Flory
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I meant sooner rather then later. duh.

Hi Mary;

What state are you in ? You can get a list of all Liaisons from the PPA site. I'm liaison for Pennsylvania and will be giving the exam on Sunday February 10th & again on Sunday April 20th. I will also be giving it in June and at our annual convention in October. If Pa. is too far, check with the liaison for your state on exam dates and times.

Mary_Pargett
01-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Craig,
I'm in Nebraska. I am a member of PP of N, so I am sure one of those guys can hook me up. thanks,

GeorgeannChambers
01-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks! I'm on the road right now but am getting the messages and will participate in the discussion.

Re: F-stop discussion - I think the "simple math" way is the way for me to go as I am very mathematically challenged!

Patty_Fox
01-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Is it too late to join the study group? I haven't logged in here for a long time.

How far along are you?

Thanks,

Patty

Louise_St.Romain
01-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Just started so join in!

David_A._Lottes
01-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Here are tonights questions for the CPP study group. I have tried to include one that has a "best" answer with more than one "correct" answer like the exam does.

4. A meter that measures light falling on a subject is?

a. an incident light meter
b. a spot meter
c. reflected light meter
d. color temperature meter

5. A developing reel is a piece of equipment used to?

a. mix chemicals
b. load film
c. process film
d. expose film

6. The type of paper surface that retains the maximum amount of details is?

a. Luster
b. Matte
c. Glossy
d. Resin coated

And for my next surprise.....I will be handing over the reigns of the study group to Mr. Mark Levesque!

Now that we have the ball rolling and everyone seems to understand how this works. Mark will be posting the questions on Tuesdays and the answers on Fridays. I asked him to do this because the text is moving into the newer digital technologies and he knows way more about that stuff than I do. Mark is a tech-no guru and a newly certified (fresh from the most recent exam) so I'm sure we will all benefit from his leadership. Additionally Mark is familiar with the rules of OurPPA Forum. ;)

Remember these questions are from chapters 4 through 6 and we won't move on to 7 through 9 until next Tuesday. I'll be posting the answers to these questions on Friday and after that I'll be taking my place as a student. Thanks again Mark. :)

And thanks again Louise for the help with this weeks questions. I couldn't have gotten this off the ground without your help! :cool:

Larry_Weathers
01-23-2008, 12:17 AM
4. A, incident light meter
5. C, process film
6. C, glossy

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-23-2008, 12:38 PM
4. a
5. c
6. not sure - will get back to it (haven't read that far yet :o ).

I have a question about 'filter factors' - is there a mathematical correlation between a 'filter factor of 5' = 2 1/3-stop increase in exposure? I can't wrap my brain around it. Or would I need to know it? Should I memorize the chart? For example, will there be a question like "If the filter factor = 5, how many stops should you increase exposure?"

Looking forward to Mark's questions!

David_A._Lottes
01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I'll take a crack at a mathematical explanation.

The filter factor is the ratio of the exposure with the filter to the exposure without the filter.

So for example if the exposure without the filter is 16 and the exposure with the filter is 22 you can express this as the fraction 1/2 or as a word problem (How many times does one go into two) or simply 2 divided by 1 = 2. So the filter factor of a filter that requires a one stop change in exposure is 2.

Clear as mud? :D

Keely_Deuschle
01-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Expanding on David's explanation, if you have a filter with a factor of 8, when you increase the exposure once it let's in twice the light, if you increase it again, it's double that or four times the light and if you increase it again it's double that or eight times the light. So, a filter with a factor of 8 requires three stops increase in exposure....or mathematically is 2 to the third power....or 2x2x2.

Mark_Levesque
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
That seems like an odd way to explain it, David.

The filter factor represents the amount of light needed to compensate for the absorption of light by the filter. Thus a 2X rated filter needs twice as much light (or you need to open the aperture enough to double the amount of light.)

How do you convert from filter factor to stops?

Well, we know that doubling the amount of light is one stop, so for a 2X filter you need to increase the exposure by one stop. Which is great, as far as it goes. If you have nice round numbers, it's not too terrible to do the math. A 2X filter requires a 1 stop increase in exposure, a 4X requires 2 stops, and an 8X requires 3 stops. Waitaminute! He said 8X. Yes, because each stop represents a doubling of the light. So 8X is doubling the light 3 times (i.e. 2^3 or two to the third power).

But what if the filter factor isn't a power of two?

Warning: geekspeak follows (but the math is right) :)

But how do you calculate the difference in stops if it's not a nice, round number like 2, 4 or 8? Like 6X, for example.

Without getting into the "why" which would get pretty dry for a bunch of photographers, suffice it to say that the following equation applies:

stops = log(2) filter factor

In words, the number of stops is the log base 2 of the filter factor. Dagnabbit, Mark, my calculator doesn't have a log base 2, only log base 10! Well, one of the neat things about logarithms is the property that you can convert between bases very easily. Here's how:

log(2) X = log(10) X / log(10) 2

In words, log base 2 of X equals the log base 10 of X divided by the log base 10 of 2.

So in our example, of 6x:

stops = log(10) 6 / log(10) 2 = .778 / .301 = 2.58 which is about 2 2/3 stops

I will note casually for the two of you who slogged through this far that this is probably more than you need to know. :)

David_A._Lottes
01-23-2008, 07:52 PM
That seems like an odd way to explain it, David.

Hey I said I'd take a crack at, I didn't say it wouldn't be odd. :cool:

This is why I asked Mark to take the lead. :D

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Wow Mark thanks for all that info. I did in fact read through it. Needed a drink afterwards. :p
But this made the light bulb go on over my head: Well, we know that doubling the amount of light is one stop, so for a 2X filter you need to increase the exposure by one stop. Which is great, as far as it goes.
That's what I was missing. The filter factor# means to let in that much extra light. Filter factor 4 = let in 4x more light = 2 f/stops. I don't know why that didn't click before.

og(2) X = log(10) X / log(10) 2

Please tell me I won't need to know this for the test? :eek:

Oh and thanks to Keely, too. And David your explanation made sense after my lightbulb was on and I went back and reread it. :)

Mark_Levesque
01-24-2008, 02:12 AM
No, you don't need to know that for the test, but if you are a geek and really want to know precisely what the correction is for any filter factor, that's the easiest way to calculate it (assuming you have a calculator with a log function.)

Andrea_Chapelo
01-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Okay, I have just read this thread all the way through and I am a little behind, but I can play? I have my book and I think I will take the test in April.

Mark_Levesque
01-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Sure. Join the party, Andrea. The more, the merrier. :)

Heather_L._Smith
01-24-2008, 03:49 AM
Here are my answers:
4) A - incident light meter
5) B - load film
6) C - glossy

Okay, here's where I read too much in to a question. My initial answer to question #5 was B - because the actual reel is used to load the film and get it ready to be processed, but the developing reel doesn't actually do anything to the film - it simply holds the film in place, right?

5. A developing reel is a piece of equipment used to?

a. mix chemicals
b. load film
c. process film
d. expose film

Stephanie_Millner
01-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Heather, those were my thoughts exactly. I mean, you need to load the film to process it. But it can't be processed in a darkroom tank without the reel (ok, yes, i know someone is going to say it can, but that's not the point). So yeah... i was going with C but technically both are right.

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-24-2008, 04:23 AM
Well see I thought that the 'load film' answer was too broad for the question - since the question asked what is a developing reel used for - so I said for 'processing film'.

Heather_L._Smith
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Without getting into the "why" which would get pretty dry for a bunch of photographers, suffice it to say that the following equation applies:

stops = log(2) filter factor

In words, the number of stops is the log base 2 of the filter factor. Dagnabbit, Mark, my calculator doesn't have a log base 2, only log base 10! Well, one of the neat things about logarithms is the property that you can convert between bases very easily. Here's how:

log(2) X = log(10) X / log(10) 2

In words, log base 2 of X equals the log base 10 of X divided by the log base 10 of 2.

So in our example, of 6x:

stops = log(10) 6 / log(10) 2 = .778 / .301 = 2.58 which is about 2 2/3 stops

I will note casually for the two of you who slogged through this far that this is probably more than you need to know. :)

Or, we can just memorize the chart. I think my eyes crossed when we added in the log(10) 6 / log(10) 2 = jal;akjdfakjdna;lkadua ;lf (yes... that's what my brain did)

Mark_Levesque
01-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I hate memorizing charts, especially when they are only approximations, because I inevitably forget something and need to derive/calculate it from the things I do remember, and when you start with an approximation you sometimes calculate the wrong answer. It rankles. :)

If you get past the scary letters and realize it's just a key on the calculator....

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
How many questions on the exam are likely to be on filter factor? Maybe 2.. and that's one too many!!

Ya gotta know your strengths and weaknesses....

Memorize the chart for this one!! Unless you're an Engineer!

Mark_Levesque
01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
I suppose that's the difference between studying for the test, and studying to know. :)

David_A._Lottes
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I see we've identified the question with two correct answers. Good Job!

Now since there isn't a clear agreement on what the best answer is I'll rephrase it.

Stranger walks into a darkroom, holds up a reel and asks, "What do you use this to do"?

The best answer is?
b. load film
c. process film

Heather_L._Smith
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
And my answer would be... you use that to load the film so you can process it :)

David_A._Lottes
01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
And my answer would be... you use that to load the film so you can process it :)

LOL :)

Yup, that would be the best answer if it was an option. ;)

David_A._Lottes
01-25-2008, 02:29 PM
This weeks answers are.....

4. a.
5. c.
6. c.

We're still on chapters 4 through 6 until Tuesday the 29th so if you have any more questions about that material please post them. Then we move on to chapters 7 through 9 and Mark will be posting the questions from here on out so look for a new post from Mark on Tuesday. I'm behind him 100%. If he wants to change anything or hand it off to someone else at some point it's his call, he's in charge. I'll still be here trying to learn along with everyone else. Thanks again Mark your the boss now. :)

Mark_Levesque
01-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm getting my book back today, so I will have access to the same materials more or less as the rest of you. I have the 8th edition. Are the chapters the same in the 8th and 9th?

Mark_Levesque
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
And I hope if nobody minds if I do more questions. One question per chapter doesn't really seem to cut it.

Heather_L._Smith
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
This weeks answers are.....
5. c.

I'm STILL not happy about this. :)

Heather_L._Smith
01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Sorry... 2 random questions...
1 - How long after the test do you know if you passed?
2 - Do you ever find out what you missed on the test, or is it just a pass/fail?

Mark_Levesque
01-25-2008, 03:27 PM
It takes 2-4 weeks to find out.

You will get a sheet that says "Congratulations" and the score. (You WILL get a sheet that says "Congratulations" and the score. Capiche?)

The second sheet will have a bunch of numbers on it (actually, I think the score is on this page). Those are the numbers of the problems that you missed. Unfortunately, you can't correlate them to the questions as you don't have the test.

Heather_L._Smith
01-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I WILL pass the test
I WILL pass the test
I WILL pass the test

I got it.

GeorgeannChambers
01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
OK, here's maybe a silly question - since I am NOT a math wizard - do I need to go to Silvan or somewhere to brush up on my math skills to pass this test?

Can you take a calculator in that has LOG function on it? :confused:
My brain is hurting...but I am determined.

Georgeann

Mark_Levesque
01-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't think you can take a calculator at all. I don't remember. In any event, you don't need one. It's not a math intensive test. If you can multiply and divide by two you're pretty much set, math-wise.

D._Craig_Flory
01-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi Georgeann;

Yes, you are allowed a simple calculator but not a programmable type.

GeorgeannChambers
01-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't think you can take a calculator at all. I don't remember. In any event, you don't need one. It's not a math intensive test. If you can multiply and divide by two you're pretty much set, math-wise.
Thanks Mark,
I was getting pretty despondent there for a minute.

Eric_Merrill
01-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Mind if I join, too?

I've been wavering about the benefits of certification. Not sure if it's worth it or not. But figured it can't hurt. Too much. :)

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Eric;

The average client doesn't know anything about why someone has Master of Photography on their literature. But, everyone knows that a Certified Electrician, Plumber, Accountant etc. is a step up from the average in those fields. So they know that someone who qualifies for Certified Professional Photography is a step above. Here is a banner that hung at Imaging a few weeks ago ... a quote by me. I hope helps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/CraigCPPBanner.jpg

Heather_L._Smith
01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Okay, dumb question... On pg 143 it is explaining the things you can do to make adjustments to your contrast when making a print. Specifically, it says if you are using graded-contrast paper and your contrast is too dark, you should use a lower grade paper. It goes on to say in the next paragraph that if your contrast is too light (still using graded-contrast paper) that you should use a lower grade paper. Did I completely miss something? It says we should do the exact ame thing if it is too light vs too dark in contrast? If you are using variable grade paper, it says we should use a lower filter if contrast is too dark, and a higher filter if too light... It would have been my assumption that the same reasoning would hold true with graded paper, but the way it is written, it does not appear to be the case.

Whether this would be on the test or not, I want to understand the difference. Help?

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi Heather;

With graded papers, and lower number paper gives less contrast while a higher number paper gives more contrast. So you are correct that they goofed in wording that.

Mary_Pargett
01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
My book, version 7 has chapter 7 as Printing the positive, which is where I found the answer to #6 about paper. I wonder if I am missing loads of information, or not...My chapter 8 is finishing and mounting, and 9 begins the talk of digital.

Also, filter factors are in chapter 9, which is why I am reading these posts thinking, "What the heck?"