PDA

View Full Version : And For The Folks that are not going . . .

DianeDavis
12-31-2007, 06:09 AM
What are you doing???

I'll be writing up my plan ala the E-Myth Revisited, making my price lists and marketing materials.

Anyone want to play?? Review each others work-- build and share???

AND I will spend plenty of time being jealous of the folks that are at Imaging!!

Stan_Lawrence
12-31-2007, 06:14 AM
"What are you doing???"

Hmmm....Leaving Friday for my yearly retreat....3 days of monk food. Then I'm flying up to San Francisco for my son's wedding....other than that, not much....;)

Cassandra_Sullivan
12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Aah- and I thought I was the only one not going - and I was thinking this forum would be a ghost town. I was going to work on my hs senior price list, so I'll play!

John_Throneburg
12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
I'll be here booking work with all the clients who couldn't find a photographer in town. :)

Art_Wright
12-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Stan, are you shooting the wedding? :)

Stan_Lawrence
12-31-2007, 05:27 PM
"Stan, are you shooting the wedding?"

Nope, I don't even own a gun....;) It's a very small affair, so I will be doing most of the photography. :cool:

Rick_Massarini
12-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Are you also providing the music

Stan_Lawrence
12-31-2007, 06:16 PM
"Are you also providing the music"

Nope, both my boys are musicians, and dad just isn't quite up to their level....;)

MarieLeslie
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, I'll be home, too. I have ten wedding albums to design this month and I am completely redefining my business plan, so that means new policies, new price lists, etc. I figure it will take me most of the month to get everything just the way I want it.

Art_Wright
12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
I will be Photoshopping a wedding, watching bowl games, and eating too much...

Michael_Gan
12-31-2007, 08:16 PM
"Are you also providing the music"

Nope, both my boys are musicians, and dad just isn't quite up to their level....;)Wow! they must be good, based on what I've heard about you and that magic alto.

Anne_LeBouton
12-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Stan sings alto? (Just joking Stan.)

Stan_Lawrence
01-01-2008, 04:52 AM
"Wow! they must be good, based on what I've heard about you and that magic alto."

Yea, the kids are always better than the old man.....;) My youngest is working on his masters in music....

"Stan sings alto?"

Only on my really bad days.....;)

Kathy_Ward
01-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I cannot go this year either. Would love to though. But . . . need to get some work before I really go broke! I'll try to work on a business plan - which I never have done! While I am working on that, I will figure if I need to update price lists. Also thinking of making up postcards/bookmarks or something for advertising at some of my favorite places. Like maybe leaving bookmarks at my vet's office about calling me for pet photography. My nail place said she would let me advertise weddings next to the Avon lady's brochure.

I have been wondering about all the different avenues of photography. People portraits, business portraits, pet portraits, weddings, seniors, children, babies, etc. Should a photographer try to concentrate on just one thing or go for all? For pricing - should they be different for all or stay the same?

So anyway - I will be here thinking about those types of things and waiting for replies from my photography friends on this forum of course!

Happy New Year to all. Good luck and looking forward for a prosperous 2008!

Dave_Cisco
01-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, I'll be home, too. I have ten wedding albums to design this month and I am completely redefining my business plan, so that means new policies, new price lists, etc. I figure it will take me most of the month to get everything just the way I want it.

Hi, Marie....:D
Hope Santa was good to you.

MarieLeslie
01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey, Dave, good to "see" you. Santa was good and I am spoiled, as always. Will I see you at Southwest?

Dave_Cisco
01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey, Dave, good to "see" you. Santa was good and I am spoiled, as always. Will I see you at Southwest?

You bet. I'm already signed up.:)

ElizabethGraham
01-02-2008, 02:45 AM
I'm not going this year either. (Considering I am currently carrying two mortgages this is probably a good thing! :D )

So, Diane, I will be working on my business plan, restructuring my baby plan, reconfiguring the studio to get more shooting area and researching new senior props and backgrounds. I will also be overhauling my business workflow to make it more efficient.

Gonna be a busy January . . .

E.

Don_Chick
01-02-2008, 02:58 AM
I'll be here in NH shoveling snow! Trying to figure out what to do for parking space....

Ellen_Adams
01-02-2008, 03:04 AM
I have had to put things on hold due to caring for my terminally ill sister, and my business literally had to be put on hold. I'm looking forward to reading all the comments of those who were able to attend, and gearing up for (God willing) 2009. This is my time to finish up the necesary items and then look forward to gradually rebuilding. So everyone who is going have a blast....can't wait to hear from you all.

DianeDavis
01-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I have had to put things on hold due to caring for my terminally ill sister, and my business literally had to be put on hold. I'm looking forward to reading all the comments of those who were able to attend, and gearing up for (God willing) 2009. This is my time to finish up the necesary items and then look forward to gradually rebuilding. So everyone who is going have a blast....can't wait to hear from you all.

Wow Ellen- Bless you!!

DianeDavis
01-07-2008, 12:41 AM
So for those of us working on our businesses instead of playing :p .

I know Elizabeth has a pricing strategy that works well for her and many that have used it-

I need one. One that is really simple and that doesn't require any thinking on my part or theirs.

We tried a "buy a wall portrait and get a better price ala carte" strategy and it proved to be very complicated.

How many use a minimum purchase? How do you implement it?

Any other ideas??

I did try Charles Lewis, however, I am not and will never be that kind of sales person, though I do admire those that can.

Tiffany_Schmitt
01-07-2008, 12:52 AM
I have been wondering about all the different avenues of photography. People portraits, business portraits, pet portraits, weddings, seniors, children, babies, etc. Should a photographer try to concentrate on just one thing or go for all? For pricing - should they be different for all or stay the same?

Offer them all. No sense in limiting yourself by only offering one thing. If you only metion one thing I think sometimes people think that is all you do. As far as pricing??? In the last couple of years (ok, just this last year) I have decided to make it all one price. Too difficult to keep track of so many different prices. The only thing I price differently is my weddings. I figure if they are paying what I am charging for a day, then they do deserve a little break on the orders.

Tiff

Tiffany_Schmitt
01-07-2008, 12:56 AM

So sorry to hear that for you. Sounds like you have great outlook though so you will be stronger for it all. I can't imagine anyway. I pray that you find strength when you need it and accept it from those who can provide it for you when you need it yourself.

God Bless you,

Tiffany

Leana_Moss
01-07-2008, 01:15 AM
we're home too! We are working on many different things...2 wedding albumss to finish, updating price lists and marketing materials...and most time consuming...looking for a new location!

I'm also working on newsletters hot and heavy. I'd love some input once I get to a point I can share! or if anyone has one they would share with the rest of us...bring it on!

andiegoodman
01-07-2008, 03:57 AM
I didn't get to go this year either. Looking forward to Phoenix. I am home making plans and moving. Have a house to clean up for an open house and figuring where to put all the stuff I already moved. Wow! Way too much work. Would much rather be in Tampa - especially since I was going to receive my craftsman there. Now I have to wait for Marissa to mail it to me.

Not nearly as much fun. :(

Stan_Lawrence
01-07-2008, 05:53 AM
"We tried a "buy a wall portrait and get a better price ala carte" strategy and it proved to be very complicated."

I've had reasonable success with very simple collections....wall portrait and gift portraits....all the collections have the same gift portraits. They can add to it or buy a la carte. There are only four collections. Numbers are even, never $x99, or $xxx.99.....:cool:

StaceyDamon
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I too am re-vamping the business plan...working on some marketing stuff. Still unpacking from our trip we took over the holidays. Don, I am also shoveling a whole lot of snow-we came home to 3 more feet!! LOL. I am also wishing to be in Tampa, Maine convention is in a couple weeks though, so I am looking forward to that. Have fun everyone!

D._Craig_Flory
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm also working on price lists. I'm also working on competition images for Mid-East Regional the end of February as well as 8x10 images for our April state assn. meeting. I also plan on creating some more portraits of our grand daughter.

DianeDavis
01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
"We tried a "buy a wall portrait and get a better price ala carte" strategy and it proved to be very complicated."

I've had reasonable success with very simple collections....wall portrait and gift portraits....all the collections have the same gift portraits. They can add to it or buy a la carte. There are only four collections. Numbers are even, never $x99, or $xxx.99.....:cool:

Thanks Stan. I need to get a refresher lesson from you- I always try to complicate it all so much.

Stan_Lawrence
01-08-2008, 02:31 AM
"I need to get a refresher lesson from you- I always try to complicate it all so much."

That's a common challenge....our prices, like all the other non photography things, tell the client a great deal about us....:cool: