PDA

View Full Version : any print comp possiblities?

Karen_Linsley
12-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I don't post images very often, mostly because I don't have time! However I wanted to get some feedback on print comp possibles from some of the work I did this last season.

Here's a senior in the studio. I hardly ever do studio portraits so this was different for me.

What I'm looking for is if I should enter these in print comp, and if so what needs to be done to them, and if not why not?

Karen_Linsley
12-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Here's another, I have lots of this young lady in the water, this is just one of them that was used in a book. On the second one it was the tail end of the fall colors, we found this patch of color in the yard of someone's vacation rental.

Karen_Linsley
12-23-2007, 01:20 AM
This was one of my favorite seniors with her Arabian horse named Prince.

Karen_Linsley
12-23-2007, 01:24 AM
same young lady, without the horse.

Karen_Linsley
12-23-2007, 01:31 AM
This young lady wants to be a marine biologist after she graduates. I took her to this place we have here called the stream profile chamber.

By the way, much thanks to Jim Lersh and the Seniors My Way Book. I adapted his questionairre to my style and was able to get radically different photos from every senior I photographed this year!

The second photo here is also from a book of her images.

Don_Chick
12-23-2007, 04:19 AM
What I'm looking for is if I should enter these in print comp, and if so what needs to be done to them, and if not why not?

Karen,

Thank you for posting the images. You have some very nice client images; however, for competition I think you are not looking at scores in merit range.

I like the studio image you posted first. It has an interesting color scheme, composition and lighting. If you were to turn the image over your eye is drawn to the bottom left red area. It's very bright relative to the rest of the image. His forehead is wrinkled a bit too. The broad light doesn't bother me but his expression doesn't add a lot to the impact of the image.

If you would consider this one of your better images, by all means enter it into competition. This will give you experience as well as a means of marketing your business through press releases etc.

Karen_Linsley
12-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks Don, I appreciate the feedback.

It has been years since I entered print comp and the trouble I have seems to be with selecting images to enter. I know what I like, which is always waaaay different than what works for print comp, and also usually different than what the client likes!