PDA

View Full Version : Any point in competing if you can't go?

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 05:08 PM
APPI - Associated Professional Photographers of Illinois - has scheduled their next conference at the same time as WPPI this year. I've already booked everything for WPPI, so there's no way to go to the regional conference.

I've tried to promise myself that I'd actually enter competition this year, but since I can't go, is there any real reason to submit? I would think that the value of submitting to competition is to learn from the critique, and since we can't be there for the critique, should we wait until we can actually be there to submit?

Any opinions on the value of submission without attendance appreciated.

Thanks

- trr

Cheri_MacCallum
12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes, I would still enter. If you can't go, do you have someone there that can watch for your stuff and ask for critiques for you? If not you can always ask someone later for a critique! It can still be a learning expierence even if you're not there!

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't have anyone to go in my place, can you actually get a critique afterwards? Like from the actual judges? Is this typical?

thanks

-trr

David_A._Lottes
12-20-2007, 05:33 PM
At APPI you will get a score on the print so you will at least have an idea of how far off or on target your getting. If you've been competing for a while the score thing doesn't mean so much unless your like Marc Benjamin and need to pick the four with the best chance of going Loan. But if you've never submitted before, the score can be more helpful than the simple yes no answer you get from PPA. Basically if your below 78 on a print it's not worth sending on to PPA, but if it's in the 78-79 range it still has a chance with another panel. The spring APPI comp is your regional so anything that goes 80 or above does automatically merit at national if you send it in the same year. You won't get that seal if you attend a different regional like Kentucky's or Mid East States, those are not your regionals. So there's a couple of things to consider regarding sending prints to APPI this spring even though you can't be there. Another thought would be to enter WPPI's print comp. I know many photographers enter the same prints in both comps and generally have very similar results. If it wins big at WPPI it will more than likely merit at PPA national. Some of the same people judge both competitions.

I'm not sure if you can get a critic tape from APPI. Anyone else know?

Cheri_MacCallum
12-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Like from the actual judges? Is this typical?

I don't know if this would be available to you or not, but was actually talking about just asking someone in your area or even post it here to get feedback as to why it got the score it did.

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks David,

I'm not worried about winning big, I'm sure I'm not in danger of that happening. I'm trying to suppress my lack of confidence and learn something about competition. I know that you can post things on the forum here, but I don't think its reasonable to expect our worthy constituents on the board to pen a critique that would provide the level of assistance that I probably need.

Other than the mentoring sessions at Imaging USA, are there any options for a more in-depth evaluation of your work? I don't really know anyone in my area, so I'm looking for some kind of association or service offered.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the differences between WPPI's comp and PPA's. I know that PPA allows you to work towards the Masters, whereas in WPPI I guess you're just submitting for attention and prizes? It seems like WPPI is a bit of a dirty word on this forum (I could be worng) but I was curious about an informed opinion on their competition.

Thanks.

-trr

Jackie_Haggerty
12-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi Todd!

Where are you from? There may be other options for you as well, though I don't know what to say about that unless I know where?!

Also, just an FYI, this upcoming spring is not just APPI, it is called MARC (Mid-America Regional Conference) and is the first year we will be joining with Indiana for a regional.

Please share where you are....

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
We're located in Dunlap, basically Peoria.

- trr

Cheri_MacCallum
12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
but I don't think its reasonable to expect our worthy constituents on the board to pen a critique that would provide the level of assistance that I probably need.

There are many of us here who do judge and would be happy to give you feed back either here or with private emails!

Jackie_Haggerty
12-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Todd,

Great, I am glad to hear that you are 'local'. I do think it is important to be involved in print competition, and I would like to encourage you to then look at Northern Illinois if you are not already a member. www.ppani.org

There are 4 competitions a year and a big one in February. You could start with that one- it would be a good preliminary for you before MARC. A great way to get your feet wet.

Don_Chick
12-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Any opinions on the value of submission without attendance appreciated.
Thanks
- trr

Todd,

Even if you can't be there and can't have someone make notes you can still use any awards (corner, ribbons) as a marketing opportunity. Send a press release to the paper to promote your "award winning photography".

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Don,

What is the significance of corner vs. ribbon?

- trr

Keith_A_Howe
12-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Basically if your below 78 on a print it's not worth sending on to PPA,
Not true- Imagine this scenario, 5 judges who score your print 80,80,80,77, 70. The average score would be 77. Then at national where there is a panel of 6, you could very easily have 3 for merit and 3 against. When it is a tie or close like that, most often it will get challenged or the jury chair will say lets talk about it. Maybe one of those judges really likes the print and can comvience at least one of the noes to change to a yes . . . and there is your merit. You only know the average scores, you don't know if it was just one score that held the print from meriting.

True story - I was on a loan panel with 13 other judges. ( Loan panels can be any number but always more than 6) A print came around and did not "go loan". I challenged. The JC looked at me and said "It's 13 against just you, are you sure you wanna take this on" I saw something in the print that the other judges had missed. When I was done with my challenge it was 14 unanimous yes for loan. So you never know.

David said "not worth sending" - well if your only goal is a sure thing merit then I guess that's true. If you are looking to improve your work and learn something, then every image is worth sending to national judging. Plus the case fee is good for 4 prints, if your 4th print scored a 75, you might as well stick it in the case, it isn't going to cost you any more.

Keith

Don_Chick
12-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Don,

What is the significance of corner vs. ribbon?

- trr

In NH (and other New England states that I've judged) use the following;

80 - 100 ............Blue Ribbon +corner
76 - 79 ............. Red Ribbon +corner
74 - 75 ............ White Ribbon +corner
70 - 73 .............Corner

The corner is similar to the corner you receive when you enter PPA. It's gold and has our state seal on it. We print a sticker (once judged) with the makers name, print title, and score.

After all prints are scored the judges decide who gets what for the other awards; Courts of Honor, Kodak Gallery, Fuji Masterpiece, etc...
Also, each judge receives a ribbon (judges choice) to put on their image of choice.

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi Keith,

As far as an image being worth sending, I am primarily interested in getting better, as I know that my work isn't close to being merit quality. I do wonder how you know what to even bother submitting though. I guess that's what I'm looking for, is some method or source for learning what to put forth for comp. I'm not a studio potographer, and our on-location work is fairly fast paced and spontaneous, which is basically my way of saying that I'm not a "craftsperson" when it comes to photography, and I'm far from perfect. While I think my clients seek me out because of it, I understand that its not the type of thing that is going to show well at comp.

I just don't want to send things that are clearly deficient, I'm trying to understand whether any of my work would be appropriate. Which I guessis what sparked the thread - if you're not going to merit, and you can't get the feedback, it doesn't seem worth the cost of submitting.

Do you folks really send press releases for merits? And if so, do client's remark on having seen them, or does the release provide some form of tangible benefit? Just curious.

Thanks

- trr

Jim_Lersch
12-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Todd,

Bottom line is that nobody ever stops trying to learn and become better (if they're smart). Once you know your scores, you also know what you need to work on.....competition is one of the best learning devices and best motivators that we as professional image makes have at our disposal. Enter for sure, you'll be thankful that you did. I've been entering competitions since 1974 (I'm originally from Chicago and have many fond memories of AAPI conventions in Peoria) and I still do because I want to keep getting better.

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Don , just curious - what's the percentage rate of scores then. Meaning, does basically every print get a corner? I've often heard that most prints score at least 65 or so. Is that true?

- trr

Don_Chick
12-20-2007, 08:22 PM
My experience has been that its only one or two images that score less than 70 at a (state level) competition. Oftentimes there are none less than 70. That's with competitions with from 90-200+ images entered....

If you have any question(s) about your image(s) you should consider posting them here for comments.

Keith_A_Howe
12-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Do you folks really send press releases for merits?
Absolutely emphatically yes

And if so, do client's remark on having seen them,
All the time, in the grocery store, at the bank drive through, standing in line at the dry cleaners, eating dinner at a restaurant. . .

or does the release provide some form of tangible benefit?
- trr
You develop a reputation for always winning awards which most people associate with excellance. Nowdays, even when I just put in the paper that I spoke or judged somewhere, I still have people stop me and say they saw I won another award. They just assume if I am in the paper that's what it must be. People who say that merits don't make you any money are wrong.

Keith

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the comments, Keith.

Hey Don, I have posted some images in the past in the Member Galleries. From the comments that I got, I basically found that those images that I was considering weren't quite ready for prime time. Currently, I don't think that I have any images that are appropriate for competition, unless some brave soul wants to visit my studio over the holidays and comb through the image backlog!

Which again is why I think it probably doesn't make much sense for me to submit (and spend the money on prints and submissions) given I won't be able to get any feedback or visit the judging of the entire submission pool.

There's a discussion/argument going on over on digital Wedding Forum about soft critiques for rookies and someone put forth the idea of a board of qualified pros to do "official" forum critiques. While I think that'd questionable given the strucutre of DWF, it seems like something that would be up PPA's alley.

While I understand that the convention/competition has historically been the outlet for learning about our photographic deficiencies, maybe in this digital age, an online service for critique might be of some benefit. Be it free, membership or fee driven, I'd cdertainly be interested.

thanks

- trr

David_A._Lottes
12-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I think it probably doesn't make much sense for me to submit (and spend the money on prints and submissions) given I won't be able to get any feedback or visit the judging of the entire submission pool.

But what you could do is sit in on a judging some other time and see whats being talked about. I sat and watched two print comps before I ever entered. One was a small group and one was a State group. The smaller group was much more beneficial. There were fewer prints and more time for the judges to discuss them. The Northern group that Jackie gave you a link to is legendary. Their reputation goes back decades. If your within reasonable driving distance sitting in on one of their comps would for sure be the way to start.

I know your not convinced that posting images here for critic is useful for you ..but it's very possible that some of the same folks commenting here may be judging your prints one day at national or some other comp. It doesn't cost you a thing to post here and they spend way more time on them this way than they would if you were a face in the crowd at a convention. It's too bad you didn't see Jackie going at it earlier this year. She had never entered before and by the time Keith and others were done with her she hung three out of four prints at national. This forum truly is a comp fanatics secret weapon. I could make a list of people who posted here over the last two years with out ever entering before and wound up with merits. They all have me pegged. They know I only need a few merits to get my Masters they pretty much give me a thumbs up or thumbs down when I post something for critic and I appreciate that.

You do a great job of keeping good topics alive on this forum Todd! Thanks, I remember a story about a guy who earned some big fancy piece of hardware at a convention one time and didn't put a press release in the paper. He thought it would be silly. His closest competitor entered the same print comp and got scores of 74 and 73 etc. A week after the print comp his competitor was on the front page of the paper with his "GOLD CORNER" awards and testimonials from the clients who's images he entered. You can bet that guy with the hardware never missed a chance at free PR from a print comp again! I better get out of this thread now or I'll spoil my reputation for being an print comp curmudgeon. I expect to be taking advice from you this time next year. :cool:

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Alright David, cue massive backpedalling and clarification.

I really apologie if I gave the idea that the forum isn't valuable for feedback, I absolutely do. I haven't figured out yet how to use the forum as a tool to understand what images to use for competition. Also, I've posted some things, and gotten some good feedback, but I hate to crud up the forum with "look at me!" requests.

The idea of promoting competition results seems kind of counter-productive to me. I mean, I'm young, and many of the other studios merit regularly and already have their Master's. I'd be embarrassed to promote myself as having gotten a single merit. I'd hate to bring up the value of competition to my clients, knowing that overall, I'm dead last in my market.

Also, I appreciate your presense on the board, but I'd recommend that you not take any advice from me next year or at any time after, at least not with regards to images. I'll try to post a few images in the Print comp forum over the break and we'll see how it goes.

thanks

- trr

Jackie_Haggerty
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Todd,

I invite you to come to the February meeting and all day print competition as my guest- it really is something to see! Let me know if you would be able to go!!

Don_Chick
12-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Alright David, cue massive backpedalling and clarification.

I really apologie if I gave the idea that the forum isn't valuable for feedback, I absolutely do. I haven't figured out yet how to use the forum as a tool to understand what images to use for competition. Also, I've posted some things, and gotten some good feedback, but I hate to crud up the forum with "look at me!" requests.

1st. Create a slide show of images somewhere and post a link or start a new thread and put your images there....

2nd. That's what we are here for!! (among other things)... Keith, Dave, myself and others spend hours in the print comp area critiquing images for folks and we are glad to do it. I would much rather be thinking about how to respond to an image than taking the same time convincing your to post your images!! :D

The idea of promoting competition results seems kind of counter-productive to me. I mean, I'm young, and many of the other studios merit regularly and already have their Master's. I'd be embarrassed to promote myself as having gotten a single merit. I'd hate to bring up the value of competition to my clients, knowing that overall, I'm dead last in my market.

And you will continue to be dead last with that attitude!!! Your clients don't know you're dead last, unless you apologize to them when they come into your studio.... I had 2 studios somehow manage to get multi page spreads in our local paper in which they promoted their business and awards. One of them didn't even get a blue that year and I had won POY (p.s. he's now out of business)!!!

If you don't promote yourself (or pay someone to do it) no one else will. You've got to do some things in order to succeed....

Keith_A_Howe
12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
The idea of promoting competition results seems kind of counter-productive to me. I mean, I'm young, and many of the other studios merit regularly and already have their Master's. I'd be embarrassed to promote myself as having gotten a single merit.

Well - if you are going to Say "Todd Reichman was recently awarded a single merit at the Professional Photographers of Nowhereville's annual print competition." I'll admit that sounds pretty lame. But if you submit a press release saying " A photograph by Todd Reichman was recently selcted for inclusion in The PP of Nowhereville annual exhibition. Reichman's image titled " Give Me a Merit Please" was judged to be deserving of a merit by a panel of professional photographers from throughout the United States. This image will also be displayed at the PP of america International print exhibit next Jan in Phoenix AZ if it was an affliated judging or else This image will now be submitted to the PP of A international print competition to be help in Daytona Beach next July. Reichman is the owner of Reichman's Super Stupendous Studio in Somewhereville."
Both press releases say the same thing but percetion is totally different - and niether one is dishonest. And even if you know that the other studios in the same market are all ahead of you in print competition, the general public may not know that. I lost out on a wedding once because as the bride told me, she went with a guy who won 6th place in the state. He was in the Non-master's division. I was second place In the Master's division that same year but she wasn't aware of that.
Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
12-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Todd,

Keith is so right on the marketing of it. You never know what is also going on with other studios also. For example, I know your area- I also know there are a lot of photogs in that area that market themselves well. It is all about the marketing. To be # 1 in this and # 1 in that- you never know how they got there!

I REALLY really encourage you to start entering!! If there is one thing that is really important, it is setting a goal for yourself and making it a big one.

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 11:02 PM
I totally appreciate the comments, but there is a difference between what I might say in complete candor on this board for the benefit of learning, and what I might put out in public. While I realize that you can and should promote yourself to the high heavens, it doesn't necessarily mean that I' mcomfortable with it, between you (all) and I.

Also, Jackie, the invitation is mighty sweet of you - can we discuss this in the new year as the event approaches?

I'll take Don's advice and post a few in the comp forum later tonight - how do all of you get your images sized small enough to post - I'm having a heck of a time.

- trr

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 11:15 PM
I agree with Jackie regarding marketing to a great extent. However, we've also built a pretty strong business over the last year and a half without doing anything that could be construed as real marketing. Not that I'm not concerned about having the proper marketing to sustain the growth. A definite goal this year is to start learning something about marketing, but its something that we struggle with. By nature, we're pretty private folks who are fairly mortified of appearing braggy.

When it comes to competition, I'm really far more interested in learning to be a better photographer than the potential marketing benefit. I'm one of those dreaded self-taught shooters clogging up the market, and forums and off-the-cuff critiques are really the only "formal" training I can get.

Todd_Reichman
12-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Just posted 2 images at this link:

http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=119031#post119031

Will try to upload a few more later.

thoughts?

- trr

D._Craig_Flory
12-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Also, just an FYI, this upcoming spring is not just APPI, it is called MARC (Mid-America Regional Conference) and is the first year we will be joining with Indiana for a regional.

Hi Jackie;

Indiana is part of Mid-East Regional. I know that Illinois dropped out to form their own but as far as I know Indiana is still part of Mid-East.

David_A._Lottes
12-21-2007, 12:27 AM
D.Craig
Illinois was always it's own regional before this year. It was Indiana that left Mid East and is now combined with Illinois to form MARC. It should help build the attendance for Illinois and relieve some of the congestion at Mid-East. :)

Kathryn_Northcott
12-24-2007, 05:23 AM
I guess I am late coming to this discussion. Finally got caught up with work and get a few days of free time to catch up with forums.

Todd, your images look like they could come to MARC and not be embarrassed. The judges at fall were brutal, but I promise that the spring judges will be nicer.

As for the WPPI and APPI/MARC coinciding dates - THEY changed their dates this summer to ours and we tried to move off of those dates, but we couldn't get the hotel space unless we wanted to go with January or late April.

We will be having the "Vegas on the Prairie" at APPI/MARC. That is the theme I've chosen for the convention and I plan alot of fun!

Jackie_Haggerty
12-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi Jackie;

Indiana is part of Mid-East Regional. I know that Illinois dropped out to form their own but as far as I know Indiana is still part of Mid-East.

Craig-

Please make sure you have your facts straight before correcting someone else who lives in one of the states involved, is a member of that state, and will be participating in the convention. This has been ongoing news in Illinois for quite a while now and I would not say something that important off the cuff- considering the new Regional has its own organizational name and convention dates set.

Todd_Reichman
12-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Kathryn.

Sorry to hear about the scheduling overlap, we wish we could be at the regional this year. Have the Fall dates been set?

- trr

D._Craig_Flory
12-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Craig-

Please make sure you have your facts straight before correcting someone else who lives in one of the states involved, is a member of that state, and will be participating in the convention. This has been ongoing news in Illinois for quite a while now and I would not say something that important off the cuff- considering the new Regional has its own organizational name and convention dates set.

Hi Jackie;

We had heard, here in Pa., that Illinois had dropped out and they were going to be a regional by themselves. I heard a bunch of people say this. I was just going by what I heard so I thought my info was right. My wife would say "that's what I get for thinking". I'm sorry ... please forgive me.

Todd_Reichman
12-28-2007, 10:06 PM
So, how does MARC change APPI? Is it just a partnership for convention purposes?

thanks

- trr

Rick_Massarini
12-29-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks David,

It seems like WPPI is a bit of a dirty word on this forum (I could be worng) but...

Thanks.

-trr

WPPI is not a dirty word here on the forum, it's just that WPPI is an entirely different and unrelated association. Since this forum is sponsored by PPA and many of us are very active in PPA sponsored activities, such as the International Print Competition, we like to promote our association's events here on the forum, and promote the advantages that membership in PPA affords - and this forum is one of those - a very valuable educational tool !!!

Kathryn_Northcott
12-29-2007, 04:30 AM
So, how does MARC change APPI? Is it just a partnership for convention purposes?

thanks

- trr

MARC will mainly be a partnership for conventions - so as to create a larger convention and to be more attractive to vendors, so as to have a more diverse tradeshow than either IL or IN could draw alone is one reason. As you know, costs keep going up and folks can find learning opportunities everywhere. By pooling our funds, both states can benefit by being able to afford better opportunities for our members. Also as a joint regional PEC affiliate for print judging, since Indiana makers previously could only seal by entering at MidEast.

PLUS - I am trying to foster more camaraderie between the 2 states by hosting a joint state Picnic weekend in May. I plan to have a couple of speakers giving relaxed programs for those who wish to learn, a family fun atmosphere with some games, relaxation and chatting with one another plus perhaps a rematch from 20 years ago of IL vs IN in vollyball :eek:

Jack_Reznicki
12-29-2007, 02:50 PM
WPPI is not a dirty word here on the forum, it's just that WPPI is an entirely different and unrelated association.

Just to expand on Rick's note, as I missed this earlier, just want to point out that WPPI isn't a dirty word here, but it is a for-profit association. They exist to make money for their owners.
PPA is a non-profit trade association, owned by and run for and by it's members.
So many of the things we do, like legal advice for members, lobbying in Washington, supporting members in times like Katrina, are only possible because of member support. WPPI would never do anything like PPA does, if it doesn't add to their bottom line. PPA does a lot of advocacy work that costs money, because it's good for photographers and is what members want us to do (through elected volunteers like the Board of Directors).

PPA is of by member photographers, of member photographers, and for all photographers.
WPPI is by, of, and for the owners.

When someone unexpectedly (when is it ever expected?) violates your copyright, who ya gonna call? For that type of advice, PPA as a trade association is there. WPPI can't make money on those types of issues.

Don't misunderstand- If you get something from WPPI, I say "Great!". Anything that helps photographers in the long run is a good thing. But understand fully where your dollars are going and what they support.

Jack_Reznicki
12-29-2007, 02:53 PM
maybe in this digital age, an online service for critique might be of some benefit. Be it free, membership or fee driven, I'd cdertainly be interested.

Hey Todd,

Not a bad idea. It will be discussed at PPA.

D._Craig_Flory
12-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Todd;

I compete for a few reasons. One is that is a measure of my work. My clients, relatives, and friends may heap praises and accolades on my images. But, till a panel of judges reviews my work and gives a good score, or thumbs up, I won't know how good my photos really are.

A second reason is for advertising. If I get a red or blue ribbon I submit a news release. I display all prints that got ribbons, in competition, on my studio walls for clients to see and expecially potential clients at consultations.

Third, each time I do well in competition it boosts my confidence levels.

Todd_Reichman
12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey Jack,

thanks for chiming in. As far as WPPI is concerned, I was referring more to their version of print competition rather than any sensed general bias. I've never really understood the WPPI competition thing, I mean, there is no real stated judging criteria, and nothing to be working towards (i.e. Masters) other than bragging rights, I suppose. After looking at the winners over there, I definetly think 'd have an easier/more successful time at the WPPI comp, but I doubt I'd learn much from it.

I fully understand the value of PPA, and I've always been upfront in credited ny succes that I have had on what I have learned from PPA. In fact, when my wife and I decided that we wanted to enter photography, we went to Imaging USA and tried to understand the business aspect of things before we started shooting or even bought an SLR. PPA education allowed us to go from ignorant to running a successful studio in approximately 2 years. In fact, maybe that's a bad thing for the industry!

As far as the online critique thing, well, thanks for taking it under consideration. Sometimes its easy to forget that the organization is accessible and working for our benefit. Thanks again.

- trr

Scott_Painter
01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
The judges at fall were brutal, but I promise that the spring judges will be nicer.

GREAT!! I'll bring bring a full case of 79's Um, I mean 82's!

Todd_Reichman
01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm wondering - does anyone know if APPI's Spring convention will have an album competition? With the merge with Indiana, is it still an affiliate judging? I looked, and couldn't find the info online.

thanks

- trr

Kathryn_Northcott
01-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Yes, It will have an album competition. Just was at the board meeting yesterday finalizing things for spring.

The main reason that Indiana merged with us is so that they could have access to an affiliate judging.

More info will be going online as soon as the webmaster can get the files presented yesterday uploaded.

Todd_Reichman
01-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for chiming in Kathryn, I appreciate it. We've decided to submit albums instead of prints to competition this year. Do you know (or can you say) will it be physical album submission, or electronic?

Thanks to all who've chimed in. So, one last clarification or etiquette related question - is it rude to compete and not attend? Just curious as always.

Thanks!

- trr

Jackie_Haggerty
01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Todd, it is in no way rude to enter and not attend. Many of those entering don't spend time watching the competition- and many will have other committments anyway.... (WPPI)

Kathryn_Northcott
01-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Todd,

From the competition rules:

Album entries may be submitted in the form of a Traditional Album or a CD Format Album

Hope this helps ya,

Todd_Reichman
01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Jackie.

Todd_Reichman
03-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Just wanted to post a follow-up. I did submit to the APPI/MARC competition last week, and wasn't able to attend. Truthfully, it was a little disappointing. Mostly because I have a real self-confidence issue with putting my photography out there. But really, is was mostly an issue of trying something and not getting the feedback on what worked and what didn't.

Really, I think that the learning benefit of competition has to be in the preparation for competition. In the sharing of comments from friends and mentors. In the actual comp, there's no guarantee that you'll be there to see the commentary on your work, or that there will be any commentary at all. You have to plan for the actual judging to be more for the accolades and marketing opportunities.

Not a dismissal or complaint at all, just an observation. I left this competition with a knowledge that something worked, and something wasn't good enough, but not what those things were. I also left with alot of respect for PPA's competition though.

I do think that everyone should get into the competition game, but make sure that you are satisfied with the experience before submitting.

thanks!

- trr