PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout this one?

Kelly_Dobson
12-09-2007, 11:42 PM
I photographed this kid at our local carnival this past summer. He was wearing those bizzare contacts (I didn't mess with his eyes). Does this have a shot at a merit or better?

Kelly_Dobson
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
woops, didn't upload, trying again

Kelly_Dobson
12-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Here it is..............

Keith_A_Howe
12-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, you might not have messed with his eyes, but it look like way overdone PS enhancement. But even if a panel could tell on the actual print that it is contacts, the image still will have challenges meriting. It is broad light and all the lettering on his hat is distracting. Compostionally it is not very exciting. You read into the image from left to right directly into his ear. Then your eyes jump all over the face from his bizarre eyes to all that writing on his hat. I don't mind a composition that makes my eye travel around a print, but it should keep bringing me back to a center of interest. If you want to rework this print, crop it almost square to eliminate his ear and about half of his cheek. That cheek draws way to much attention because of the direction of light across it. Think if the light had been coming from far camera right about 90 degrees, skimming across his face. The near cheek would be shadowed and the rest of the face would be sculpted with highlight and shadow. I think it would have added a dramtic look to the image that would be in keeping with his weird eyes.
I think this print will have a challenge meriting, but getting a merit is not the only goal of print competition. It would be an excellant learning image to see what other judges suggest to improve the print and make it more impactful. Try to watch the judging and also to pull aside judges afterwards in the print show and ask for further critiques.
Keith

Kelly_Dobson
12-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Please give me feedback on this image......thanks

D._Craig_Flory
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi Kelly;

Now, this one has possibilities. With that said ... try to start doing many more images not looking at the camera. For the most part, they will do better in competition than looking right at the lens.

I'm posting how I see this image being presented. I hope this helps you. BTW ... competition images are 16X20 or 20X16. Did you post all of the original raw file of this image or was it cropped ? It is better to post all of an image. In this case I would have liked seeing a horizontal and more room on both sides of her.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Sierra20200820102XLR20copyEnhanced.jpg

Dave_Cisco
12-10-2007, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=D. Craig Flory;117090]Hi Kelly;

Now, this one has possibilities. With that said ... try to start doing many more images not looking at the camera. For the most part, they will do better in competition than looking right at the lens.

I would respectfully disagree, particularly close-up images.

D._Craig_Flory
12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Dave;

I bow to your expertise ... you have more stuff' after your name. I didn't want her thinking she can't ... thanks.

I didn't mean for her to NOT do close-ups looking at the camera but rather to try some looking off in a different direction. Since both images are looking at the lens I wanted to make sure she also will try some looking out into the distance in addition to looking at the camera.

Dave_Cisco
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Dave;

I bow to your expertise ... you have more stuff' after your name. I didn't want her thinking she can't ... thanks.

I didn't mean for her to NOT do close-ups looking at the camera but rather to try some looking off in a different direction. Since both images are looking at the lens I wanted to make sure she also will try some looking out into the distance in addition to looking at the camera.

No bowing necessary.:)
I've just seen it go both ways so I always do both to see which has more impact.

Michael_McBlane
12-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Not to be too old school here and since unfortunately photoshop doesn't have a STOP button, I find way too many photographs over- retouched with the eyes and especially the whites, way over done.

But hey that's just me.

As for the guy, interesting but I'm not sure what the judges like these days.

Carry on.

Michael

Keith_A_Howe
12-11-2007, 04:50 AM
I find way too many photographs over- retouched with the eyes and especially the whites, way over done.

Michael, I agree, the eyes are overworked. Just because we can do something in PS doesn't mean we should. But that's fixable. What would be an issue with this image is the flat light. And it's basically a face floating in a bunch of feathers. While she is a very attractive woman, she does not compell you to keep looking at her - either for her beauty or for her expression, which is a little vacant IMO. If all you are going to include in an image is just the face, there has to be something special about that face, either character or expression that makes a judge want to keep looking at the image. That's called impact. It's great portrait for a client and will fall into the high average or above catergory but I do not believe it will merit.
Keith

Kelly_Dobson
12-14-2007, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the critiques, they really help. I have more images I'd like to get input on. I am trying to get started on my certification and also work towards a master's degree (long way to go no doubt). I will be posting more very soon. Right now, just have to get this wedding season put to bed!