PDA

View Full Version : Trade Show discounts?

Heather_L._Smith
12-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I know at other trade shows I've been to the vendors often offer trade show 'specials' - anyone know what the big boys usually offer up at IUSA? I'm looking to purchase some new gear and am trying to decide if it's worth it to wait until IUSA to pick it up during the trade/toy show. Of course, I'll do plenty of oogling while at the show... and I'm sure plenty of spending, too.

Many thanks!!

Cheers,
Heather

Heather_L._Smith
12-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh, and before anyone jumps on me for looking for cheap rates (since we HATE it when OUR clients to that!) let me say that I am looking at my regular retailers (b&h, etc) KNOWING that they give specials during these events... I'm not looking to be cheap, but if I can save a few bucks by waiting a couple of weeks, I will. I'm not being cheap, I'm working the system (since I know there IS a system) :-)

Ron_Jackson
12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I have not been to IUSA before but with 25 years of trade shows under my belt, my advice is simple. Anything you are considering purchasing, hold off until the show to see what deals they offer. You can always still buy at full retail after the show but expect that there will be deals there. The other plus is that in many cases, you will also have the advantage of speaking directly to reps that know the product extremely well and to touch, and test out the item before writing the check. I have my list and I look forward to spending time with the vendors as much as the seminars.

Howard_Kier
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
B&H always has show specials on a wide range of gear. What's nice about B&H is the specials are usually good for a week or so after the show!

George_Hawkins
12-07-2007, 01:41 AM
B&H always has show specials on a wide range of gear. What's nice about B&H is the specials are usually good for a week or so after the show!

Exactly, and other dealers will have specials. Sometimes it may be as simple as free shipping for 7 days or 30 days. Lots do some specials of some sort. Some dealers have inventory to take after purchase; an out of state dealer might say no sales tax. Those that don't have with them the item(s) that are on special might say no charge shipping, and we are often in a different state than their home location, so maybe no tax. Without being specific with dealer name, B&H, Calumet, LexJet, and many others.

Yes, there will be specials. You may find that dealers who have your contact info start emailing about specials.

George

Heather_L._Smith
12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Woohoo! Let the shopping spree begin (in 30 days, that is... but who's counting??)

Of course, this means that the few hundred dollars I may save will be a few hundred dollars I'll spend on something else that I'm sure to find I "need"

Billy_Walker
12-08-2007, 04:44 AM
Some dealers have inventory to take after purchase; an out of state dealer might say no sales tax. Those that don't have with them the item(s) that are on special might say no charge shipping, and we are often in a different state than their home location, so maybe no tax.
George

Remember, you're legally obligated to pay "use tax". Most states, if not all, state that you cannot advertise with the words "No Sale Tax". It's simply a deception.

Now, before anyone say's "who get's caught?", I would say a friend of mine strongly disagrees to the tune of thousands of dollars. As a matter of fact they determined what he owed for the most recent year and then multiplied by three to go back three years without an actual physical audit. They'll let you protest the amount but you will have to prove them wrong, if that's the case. My friend thought the tripling was probably cheaper. The penalties will knock your eyes out; don't let people deceive you on this issue.

My recommendation: Set up a liability account called use tax and an expense account (possibly part of a pre-existing asset account) called use tax. Pay the use tax with its on check. The separate account will allow a potential audit to go faster.

George_Hawkins
12-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Remember, you're legally obligated to pay "use tax". Most states, if not all, state that you cannot advertise with the words "No Sale Tax". It's simply a deception..

In other words, the end user is responsible to pay a sales/use tax in the sate of the use, while the seller collects it. Consumables like "film", paper, ink, etc. are part of the production and can be treated differently in some jurisdictions.

You are correct; the vendor might be saying that he absorbs tax, or discounts the product an amount equal to tax. If a vendor ships an item to a state where they are not registered, often a tax is not charged. In a tax state, we'd be liable for the use tax. At trade shows, there are many different ways a "show special - discount" is promoted.

Linda_Gregory
12-09-2007, 02:50 AM
The state of Kansas has muddied the water further. If you purchase an item out of state and do not pay sales tax, you are still held liable for it and must claim and pay it to the state of Kansas.

Insult and injury, I pay sales tax on my paper and chemicals then must charge you a sales tax on it if you live in state and do not hae a sales tax id. If you DO have a sales tax ID, you must again charge your customer sales tax on finished orders.

Kansas...home of double dippers, looking to be triple dippers. *sigh*

Billy_Walker
12-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Insult and injury, I pay sales tax on my paper and chemicals then must charge you a sales tax on it if you live in state and do not hae a sales tax id.

Linda, I don't know Kansas law, but typically what you are describing on your purchase would be sales tax exempt for you because it's being used as a component of a final product for sale. You would need to provide your paper and chemical vendor with a resale certificate. And, then of course you would collect sales tax on the photograph at the time of sale.

Or, perhaps, you are saying in Kansas the photographer must pay tax on those items even if they are for resale? Again, I do not know Kansas law.

Linda_Gregory
12-09-2007, 03:26 AM
Billy,

I, Fuji and other labs in our state have been round and round with the sales tax people. We pay, we charge. They get double dipping. Legislature set this up a few years ago for internet sales and it's not well thought out. I do not pay sales tax for many other items I resell but paper and chemicals? Yeah. I don't get it but can't not pay it.

andiegoodman
12-10-2007, 04:40 AM
Insult and injury, I pay sales tax on my paper and chemicals then must charge you a sales tax on it if you live in state and do not hae a sales tax id. If you DO have a sales tax ID, you must again charge your customer sales tax on finished orders.

Florida was like that also. I do understand the chemical part of it because not all of it goes into the final product...but the paper does. WOW, I guess I won't want to live in Kansas anymore.

As for the use tax, PA does the same thing but if you are buying things like frames, albums, etc. that actually go into the making of your final product to the client, then it is not taxed. But you must add sales tax to your client's invoice. Ultimately, the state gets its share. Bummer but there is not much you can do, other than fire the government and elect different representatives who are not money hungry.

Yeah, right.

andiegoodman
12-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Just a quick FYI. The Levin Company will be offering show discounts on their products. :D

Dan_Murdoch
01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I had to pull out of attending the show. I was hoping that Think Tank would be offering a show special discount on their products - any chance that someone there can find out if they have one and possibly share it with us?

Dan

Linda_Gregory
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Dan,

I think they were there but unfortunately, the trade show closed at 1:30 yesterday afternoon so it's too late to check for you.

Sorry you couldn't make it, there was definitely something here for everyone.

Liz_Vance
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry you couldn't make it, there was definitely something here for everyone.

And for some of us, there were too many things. It was like Supermarket Sweep for me on the last day. I didn't see a booth I didn't want to shop at.

Linda_Gregory
01-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Liz, you are SUCh a hoot and a good dancer, too. If only we could keep from giggling so much. Now, I'm NOT the giggly type but Liz'll bring it out in anyone.

She did do some serious plastic damage but she wasn't the only one. I helped tear down the print display and it was all I could do to keep from 'helping' the vendors by eliminating things they needed to pack by packing it myself...in my luggage.. heh.