PDA

View Full Version : Open for Critique

Julie_DeGuia
12-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Well, this is my first time posting one of my pictures here on "Our PPA" forum. I thought I would go right for the competition critique as that is something I would like to concentrate on this coming year.

A little about the image. There is a reflector camera right. I have cropped and processed the image and added a texture overlay to the image but erased the overlay from the subject and the sign. The texture is from a picture I took of a wall just a couple blocks away from where this image was made. I placed the image off-center but left it at the midpoint to (maybe) show a little defiance.

Title: Guilty Until Proven Innocent.

Any comments for improvement on this image would be most appreciated. I would especially like to hear opinions on whether it is even on the right level for competition... don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take it!

Thanks,
Julie

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/Marco-PrintComp.jpg

DianeDavis
12-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi Julie,
I'm going to let someone else critique.

I like the feel- and the edge. Way to go- putting yourself out there!

Keith_A_Howe
12-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Julie I think this has potential. This is an image where Grunging works for the image. It needs to have the background taken way down so the man's face becomes the dominate impact point. Would you mind if I showed a quick version of how I see the image?
Keith

Michael_Gan
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree! Nice direction of light on the subject.

Julie_DeGuia
12-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.... Keith, I don't mind if you play with it. I am looking for ways to improve and a different view on it would be welcome!

Julie

Keith_A_Howe
12-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Julie
Here is my very quick version. I darkened the background and the light area of his coat. I did this on my laptop that does not have all my toys and goodies so the texture grundge is not what I would have wanted but shows the idea. I darkened the shadow side of his face a bit as well as his coat sleeve to give it even more of a dramatic light direction. I changed it to a vertical presentation with a placement in the upper third (face) with the image going out of the presentation. I felt this placement adds to the feel of the image which is no trespassing and and breaking the rules, so it would make sense to try to leave the scene so to speak and that idea is conveyed by the image "running out" of the edge. Note the color harmony of the light areas, coat to spots in background to areas on the sign which are all cool and similar. They are opposite the warm tone of his face. Plus those cool spots kind of form a triangle if you connect them, around his face, adding to the impact.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/notrespass.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
12-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Looking at it again now the stroke should have been finer as well.

Julie_DeGuia
12-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Keith -
Thanks so much for sharing your version. Definitely gives me something to think about! Never thought of having the image hanging out of the frame like that. I know you said you didn't have all your tools when playing, but did you add more texture/grain, or did you just burn in? I like both versions, but I can see that yours is MUCH more suited to a competition! In mine there are too many bright areas competing for the viewers' attention, and in your version my eyes get to his face more easily.

Thanks again,
Julie

Keith_A_Howe
12-03-2007, 05:27 AM
I used a dup layer with cracalure (sp) then faded the layer out . I then ran a dup layer with sandstone texture I ereased his face and body 70 % out of the textured layers and flattened. I still saw too much cracalure so I added some grain to break it up. I would have rather used some of my grundging filters and brushes but worked with what is on the laptop. Not sure I like the amount of grain on him as it is but you can get the idea.

I would love to see what you come up with for the final image.
Good Luck

Michael_Gan
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey Keith, now you can enter that into the EI competition a year after Julie enters it into print comp. ;)

Keith_A_Howe
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey Keith, now you can enter that into the EI competition a year after Julie enters it into print comp. ;)
Actually Michael, if I did all the work I could enter it in EI the same year as she enters it in open. If I was the photographer entering it in open, then I could not enter it into EI also, just one or the other. In fact- unless the rules have changed, I could not enter it into open one year and then EI the next. Having judged EI many times at national level ( I am an art tech judge so I can sit on that panel) I know that this little bit of PS would not be nearly enough or have a degree of difficulty high enough to receive a merit in EI.
I know you were making a joke here but I wanted to clarify, so a new person wouldn't be misled.
Keith

Michael_Gan
12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Leslie has 3 acepted from EI this year, one loan. So, she can't enter those images in the open? I thought the rule is you couldn't enter it in both in the same year?

Michael_Gan
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Just read through the regional rules and answered my own question :(

Rick_Massarini
12-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Leslie has 3 acepted from EI this year, one loan. So, she can't enter those images in the open? I thought the rule is you couldn't enter it in both in the same year?

On the National Level, once you have received a merit for an image in any category you cannot enter it in again even in a different category. For instance, say you have a great image that you've done some PS work on and you can't decide to enter into Photographic Open or Electronic Imaging. If you enter it into PO this year and it merits you cannot enter it into EI the following year, but if you do not merit the image this year in PO, you could make some improvements to the image and enter it into EI the following year. But once it merits, it's done.