PDA

View Full Version : Judges Critiques at IUSA

Keith_A_Howe
12-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I just visited with Jim Dingwell and he said there are still spots available for the judges critiques at IUSA. For those of you who don't know, this is an opportunity for you to bring up to 10 images (or files on a laptop) and sit down, one on one, with an affliate juror to get input on potential for competition. Or just how to improve if competition is not the goal. I will be critiquing from 1:00 - 5:00 on Monday - so you might want to avoid that time slot. Actually there are 4 critique booths going at all times, so even if you do come then, you can still avoid me if you want to. Anyway if you want to sign up, email Jim Dingwell at jdingwell@ppa.com

P.S. Seeing as how I will be tied up from 1-5 on Monday, is there anyone who can volunteer to make sure Holly doesn't take off and go shoe shopping? It's not that I care about the money - it's just that last time that happened we ran out of room in the luggage and she left all my underwear at the hotel!!!!!!!!

Keith_A_Howe
12-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Just so you don't worry - I did buy more, I won't be going commando.

Keith_A_Howe
12-01-2007, 01:17 AM
By the way here are the times..
Sunday 11:40-5:00
Monday 11:40-5:00
Tuesday 12:00-1:00

And his official email is jdingwell@ppa.com
Hope to see you there.

Lori_Clapp
12-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Keith, thanks for the info. I will e-mail him, I'm just not sure what part of what program I will miss for it!!
I would volunteer to keep Holly entertained and out of the malls, but I will be in class!

Andrea_Chapelo
12-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Keith,
Can I volunteer to shoe shop with her? who needs underwear anyway. She can always buy you some more later. :D

D._Craig_Flory
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
P.S. Seeing as how I will be tied up from 1-5 on Monday, is there anyone who can volunteer to make sure Holly doesn't take off and go shoe shopping? It's not that I care about the money - it's just that last time that happened we ran out of room in the luggage and she left all my underwear at the hotel!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi Keith;

Wasn't Amelda Marcos her shoe shopping inspiration ? :D

Mark_Levesque
12-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Imelda. /nnttm.

Karen_Linsley
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey Keith, since I can get critiques from you here, I'm going to sign up with someone else....but can I stop by and say hi?

Keith_A_Howe
12-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey Keith, since I can get critiques from you here, I'm going to sign up with someone else....but can I stop by and say hi?

Of course. I look forward to seeing you.

Ron_Jackson
12-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Keith I am curious as to what kind of images can be presented to the judge. Would these have to be pure portait or wedding images or can they be portraits done in Painter or combination of effects? Are there any hard guidelines as to what you could or would show a judge for comments?

Keith_A_Howe
12-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Are there any hard guidelines as to what you could or would show a judge for comments?

Nope - whatever you want to bring. I have seen everything from discount store photography studio type portraits to fully enhanced art type images. Like I said - this is aimed at getting feedback on potential competition prints so there is no limit on what that subject matter might be. But that doesn't mean if you aren't planning on entering you can't sign up to learn.

I usually start by asking the maker what their goals are. What information do they want from me. That tells me if they are aiming for high scores in print competition, if they are trying to get started in competition and don't want to embarass themselves, or if they just need direction to start improving their every day client work. It really is a very non-threatening session for even the most timid about sharing their work. I try to send everyone away from the session in a great mood, because they either know thier work is good or they know what steps they need to take to make it good.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
12-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Sounds great! So now tell me why I wouldn't want you to be my critique judge? I trust you completely so why not you as opposed to another judge I wouldn't know. I would expect nothing less from you than your honest input anyway.

Keith_A_Howe
12-01-2007, 07:16 PM
So now tell me why I wouldn't want you to be my critique judge? I trust you completely so why not you as opposed to another judge I wouldn't know. I would expect nothing less from you than your honest input anyway.

Well - I was being self deprecating but to really be honest, anyone that knows me from here should already feel comfortable asking me what I think. So the print critique at IUSA is an opportunity to hear another opinion. I always suggest that it's a good idea to ask 3 or 4 different qualified people for input. If the same points keep coming up, you can pretty much know it's a valid issue. If only one person comments on a certain aspect, it may be correct but it might also be irrelevant. Another reason for a second opinion, I am somewhat of a technical person and I am also a Master Artist - so if there is a technical issue or a lot of artwork has been done, I will probably see it. So it might be nice to visit with someone who is more of an emotional or intuitive type. So hopefully you can see the value in hearing from more than one judge. For all the same reasons why there is more than one judge on a panel.

Be sure to bring either high res files and a laptop or actual 8x10 prints. There are too many things you just can't tell from looking at a low res file. I also suggest the images be full frame as the judge may see something different in cropping then what you did. It's nice to know when discussing options on a print, if there is more room available.

Keith

Lori_Clapp
12-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks Keith - I signed up!

Linda_Gregory
12-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Wow, I didn't know we could bring out laptop. That opens a lot of options. I had originally thought an 8x10 with a16x20 black board or paper for placement but more like...10 x 15 because I wanted full frame and then, what if I didn't want it that big on the 16 x 20? Oh, the options are scary endless! Instead, I'll bring 8x10s with the same but full frame on the laptop. Then they can see the print quality and we can mess with placement on the computer. (No photoshop, just elements on the laptop so no enticement to get carried away with editing choices.

I've shared my goals with Keith before and I'll share them here, too. Okay, okay, I have tons of goals but I'm referring to competition.

These are in no particular order and I don't expect to reach them in less than five years. This will be my third year for competition. The first year, I had no idea what I was doing and stumbled into two merits with one being showcase. The second year, I got lots more advice and felt I knew more of what was going on but still find certain aspects....surprising during critique. All four merited. One was worked so much with advice from so many, I really was surprised. One was because it just is, another was reworked some and recropped with advice from several. The last one was, as Marc calls it, a hail mary entry. It was taken on vacation in May and entered that summer. I worked it myself without much advice and dang, it merited. I feel much more confident but it was more fun to work with others on the images.

My goals....to merit an image without much manipulation. I want to capture it IN camera. To merit an image of a portrait. Since I don't do many yet, that would be a big improvement. And of course, as we all want...I want a loan.

Above all, I've learned SO MUCH about photography, it's amazing. Some call competition a game, that's fine but I've rarely played a game without learning something. This is no different. I look at images through the camera so much differently than I did before.

Keith_A_Howe
12-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Above all, I've learned SO MUCH about photography, it's amazing. Some call competition a game, that's fine but I've rarely played a game without learning something. This is no different. I look at images through the camera so much differently than I did before.

And that folks is the real goal of competition, both for we as a photographers improve and for our clients work improves (oh and of course they are willing to pay more for better work).

Cheri_MacCallum
12-03-2007, 07:27 PM
If anyone has Jim's phone number, please PM me with it. I've moved and need my case to get my new address on it. I've sent him an email but have not heard back. Neither UPS or Fed ex (whomever ppa is using) does not forward. I really need to get in touch with him!!!

Keith_A_Howe
12-04-2007, 03:32 AM
If anyone has Jim's phone number, please PM me with it.

Cheri - go to the PPA website under find a photographer and enter James Dingwell and there it is. 402-476-6571 Or if you read the thread about Buddy Stewart in tghe open forum and the letter posted from Jim, it has his PPA phone number 866.591.9190. Jim has been sick with pnemonia - so that's probably why he hasn't got back to you. He is fine now and trying to catch up on stuff.
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to bump this back up to the top. I started another thread under IUSA but in case you don't see it there here's the info. Critique time slots are still available. Call JIm Dingwell TODAY at 866.591.9190 or stop by his table in the print show at IUSA.
Keith

Andrea_Chapelo
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Keith,
I may do this since I gat a laptop for Christmas, but can I request you? This whole thing scares me to death. It may be easier if I know the person ripping me to shreds:o

Keith_A_Howe
01-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Andrea, I think you can request me, I don't really know. I will be there Monday from 1-5. But no one will rip you to shreds, regardless of who you get. If you don't get me, look me up later and I'll be glad to take a look at your stuff. We at the Embassy and I am PM'ing you my cell phone #. It is not necessary to have a laptop. You can bring 8x10 prints. In some cases prints are preferable because issues that show up in an actual print may not be as obvious looking at a laptop screen.

Keith

Andrea_Chapelo
01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Keith! I am at the Emabassy too. I know they won't really rip me to shreds. I am just a big wimp:) Which is why I have never entered a competition to begin with. If I have 8x10's are they supposed to be printed like for comp or can they be normal?

Heather_L._Smith
01-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm so glad you bumped this thread, Keith. I have been debating whether to do the critique, but this was the last nudge I needed to sign up. I just send Jim an email and hope I can grab a time slot with you. I'm tired of 78's and 79's... time to step it up!!

Mark_Levesque
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
OK, Keith, so what's the protocol here? How many prints should one bring? I'm toying with the idea.

Ron_Jackson
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Keith I singed up after you started this thread. I am scheduled for Monday at 2. I am bringing just over 300 prints for you to look at. Kidding. I know it says 10 prints. I just finished putting the prints in the portfolio. I look forward to your critique.

By the way. These don't all have to be portraits do they? I hope not.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-02-2008, 04:10 PM
OK, Keith, so what's the protocol here? How many prints should one bring? I'm toying with the idea.

Mark,
although not a critique judge, I would tell you to bring a lot of images. When I did these over the last two years, the judges had a lot of extra time, and even dug into my laptop to find other images. I got about 35 reviewed on the first try, and about 15 on the second. Each judge is different, but you can't go wrong bringing a stack of photos.
Jeff

Andrea_Chapelo
01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Okay Keith, I got my time slot, I will be seeing you at 1:20 on Monday.:) Now I have to find some files to show you:eek:

Ron_Jackson
01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Andrea just bring your camera and you can create some new images for critique Saturday night. :)

Heather_L._Smith
01-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Andrea, I'm in the same boat - actually, it looks like you'll be right after me on Monday w/Keith... now I need to find some images :-) nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?

So, here's my issue - I have great images that clients have purchased, but I wouldn't enter them in comp. I'm going at it from the perspective of "what would I change to make them comp-worthy." Does that sound feasible?

Andrea_Chapelo
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Andrea just bring your camera and you can create some new images for critique Saturday night. :)

I don't know. do you think I could win a comp with images of Liz singing karoke or maybe your plaid shorts?:p

Andrea, I'm in the same boat - actually, it looks like you'll be right after me on Monday w/Keith... now I need to find some images :-) nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?

So, here's my issue - I have great images that clients have purchased, but I wouldn't enter them in comp. I'm going at it from the perspective of "what would I change to make them comp-worthy." Does that sound feasible?

That's what I am wondering too...since it is a whole new thing for me. Don't show him anything too great since I have to go next.:o

Keith_A_Howe
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Bring 10 prints or files that you want to show. They do not need to be prepped for competition. You can certainly bring more images as Jeff suggested but don't walk in and dump them in the judges lap. Start out with 10 and then if there is more time, they will gladly look at more.
You can bring anything - portrait, wedding, commercial, illustrative, artsy fartsy, whatever. You can bring stuff that you feel is a good competition possibility or you can bring stuff that you just want to improve.

Andrea if you could get an image of Liz wearing Ron's plaid shorts while singing a karoke song to Ron then maybe that might have a shot. The title would have to sell it. . .

Keith

Mark_Levesque
01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
<guffaw> Now THAT would be something I'd pay to see.

Keith_A_Howe
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
We are now talking suggestions for what karoke song Liz should sing to Ron - my vote is "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling"

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
01-02-2008, 05:42 PM
How about a little Bon Jovi... "You Give Love A Bad Name" ?

Mark_Levesque
01-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Heart: Crazy on You
Pretenders: Tattooed Love Boys
Pat Benatar: Promises in the Dark

Or keeping in theme with "Liz wearing Ron's plaid shorts while singing a karoke song to Ron": David Bowie's "Fashion". LOL

Ron_Jackson
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Andrea, the plaid shorts will surely get you a merit print.

Well you two girls are just ahead of me on Monday for critique. You should let me go ahead of you so your work will look even better after he sees my pitiful work.

ChontelleBrown
01-03-2008, 12:10 AM
If anyone is still interested in signing up you can email Jim tonight or early tomorrow morning at jdingwell@ppa.com. He and I played phone tag today and he asked that I email him and he would get a time back to me via email. He is planning to leave the office at 10 tomorrow morning.

Keith-
If I can't come up with 10 comp potential images, should I just bring other clients images I would like to have critiqued?

Thanks,
Chontelle

Keith_A_Howe
01-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Keith-
If I can't come up with 10 comp potential images, should I just bring other clients images I would like to have critiqued?

Thanks,
Chontelle

Yes

Keith

Ron_Jackson
01-03-2008, 02:15 AM
<guffaw> Now THAT would be something I'd pay to see.

How much Mark? I am all for making money at just about anything. :)

Ron_Jackson
01-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Heart: Crazy on You
Pretenders: Tattooed Love Boys
Pat Benatar: Promises in the Dark

Or keeping in theme with "Liz wearing Ron's plaid shorts while singing a karoke song to Ron": David Bowie's "Fashion". LOL

Or how about Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years"?

Rick_Massarini
01-03-2008, 05:38 AM
How much Mark? I am all for making money at just about anything. :)

Now THAT's the Mercinary attitude that has made this Country Great! BRAVO !!!

Karen_Linsley
01-03-2008, 05:56 AM
my print critique is on Monday at 12:20. Kieth, I love ya man, but I'm thinking I will choose someone else since I get the benefit of you anytime I want here on ourppa! I'm bringing my laptop....however, there is a potential glitch in my travel plans...weather forecast is for 5 to 8 FEET of snow starting later tomorrow, Friday and Saturday. My flight leaves Reno on Saturday morning at 7 am, it's normally about an hour and a half drive to Reno from my house. But if we get that much snow, possibilities of road closures are high. There are only a few roads that leave Tahoe and when it snows like that they all close. If you are here you stay here, if you are gone you stay gone. I'm used to it, and am actually excited at the prospect of that much snow, but the timing is less than desirable....I will keep you all posted....

Rick_Massarini
01-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Awwww, C'mon Karen, if it's just a little snow that keeps your plane on the ground, just rent a car and drive to Tampa, it shouldn't take you more than three days or so.....

Rick_Massarini
01-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Also - it should be worth driving through the snow and blizzard for three days to get a critique by Keith. (Or should I say, it should be worth driving through the snow for three days to get a title by Holly !!!!! - Sorry Keith, I just couldn't resist!!)

Jeff_Dachowski
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Karen,
If I were you, I would stay overnight in Reno, just to make sure you make this flight!!!

FWIW, I would fly all the way to Montana for a Keith Howe critique.
Jeff

Heather_L._Smith
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Andrea, the plaid shorts will surely get you a merit print.

Well you two girls are just ahead of me on Monday for critique. You should let me go ahead of you so your work will look even better after he sees my pitiful work.

I'm guessing that by the time he's done with me, Keith will be tired of saying "so, do you actually know how to shoot something other than a broad-lit subject?" :-)

Ron_Jackson
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Well Heather, I'm afraid when he's done with me, he will be tired of saying, "what made you think you could be a photographer? You do realize that Wal-Mart needs a new greeter?"

Karen_Linsley
01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Awwww, C'mon Karen, if it's just a little snow that keeps your plane on the ground, just rent a car and drive to Tampa, it shouldn't take you more than three days or so.....

HAH! That's a good idea! I could leave right now! If I left now I could beat the storm and just take my sports car! I have a snow car also, but it's old and beat up, would not like to take it across the country, but the sports car, now that's a fun car to take on trips!

Jeff, I already have plans to stay with a friend in Reno on Friday night, although now I might leave for Reno earlier tomorrow than I planned...

hmmm, maybe I should just have Kieth do the critique...

decisions decisions decisions...all I know is I'm excited. I went to bed last night around midnight, here it is 6 am and I am up, wide awake...totally unlike me, I am NOT a morning person normally!

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I haven't been following this thread, but due to Keith's post on IUSA, I signed up--1:40 with Keith on Monday--behind 3 of my forum compatriots apparently. Yikes! I hate to be last. Should be interesting to see how we all feel afterwards. I am glad to know, Keith, that you try not to destory folks during critique--maybe I'll escape with my ego partially intact? Leaving my 3 kids, and 3 pets, tomorrow at 2:25. So sad-- but oh so glad! (it's been a LONG Xmas vacation).

See you where it's warmer--wind chill yesterday of 9 degrees in our usually temperate NC. Yuck!

Elizabeth

Ron_Jackson
01-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Well you are behind three and right ahead me me. Keith will have his fill of critiquing forum members by the time we all get through. I can see now that by the time I sit down with him, he will feel relieved that fianally he will have something to say negative things about. Dang. :(

ChontelleBrown
01-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Ron-
I just realized we are both scheduled at 2. Are you also scheduled with Keith?

Thanks,
Chontelle

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Oh I'm just a spring chicken ripe for the slaughter--ought to be enlightening at the least. Can't wait to see how we all feel after . . .

See y'all Saturday.

Elizabeth

Sandra_Pearce
01-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Keith,

We have so many threads on Imaging I wrote you a note on Nate's thread by mistake.

Sandra

JohnHeckler
01-04-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm scheduled for Monday 11:40am but I don't know who with ...

I'm kinda bummed though as I'll have to leave Jack Davis's PS CS3 workflow talk early :-(

Ron_Jackson
01-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Chontelle I just pulled up the schedule from Jim Dingwell and I am at 2:20 so you are just ahead of me. I kept thinking it was 2. Soften him up a bit for me will ya? Actually it looks like there are four beautiful women before me so hopefully that will put him in a good mood. :) Kidding Keith. I don't need nice, just honest and I selected you because I knew it would be honest.

Keith_A_Howe
01-04-2008, 04:21 AM
I'm just glad the get together on Monday is at lunch time, before all the critiques and not after. I don't want all of you in a group following the critiques in case you would decide to form a lynch mob.

Keith

Mark_Levesque
01-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Pffff. You're so polite, you can ALWAYS find something nice to say, regardless of the image. "That's a beautiful sheen on the paper..." LOL

Rick_Massarini
01-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Hey Keith, Sounds like you're the only juror critiquing !!! I can imagine the line of mentor booths - yours will be the one with a line like a Wal-Mart checkout the day before a hurricane... LOL

Betsy_Finn
01-04-2008, 04:59 AM
Ok so a question. I'd been meaning to get some prints made -- but ran out of time. Should I go get some one-hour prints tomorrow or will having images on my laptop work out at least ok?

Linda_Gregory
01-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Guess I know when Holly's free to go shopping!

Linda_Gregory
01-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I just pulled up the schedule from Jim Dingwell and I am at 2:20 so you are just ahead of me. I kept thinking it was 2.

Has he posted a schedule? Where'd you find it? (she asks, a few short hours before leaving)

Keith_A_Howe
01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Pffff. You're so polite, you can ALWAYS find something nice to say, regardless of the image. "That's a beautiful sheen on the paper..." LOL

Or in your case, "well you trimmed the print nice and square"

Hey Keith, Sounds like you're the only juror critiquing !!! I can imagine the line of mentor booths - yours will be the one with a line like a Wal-Mart checkout the day before a hurricane... LOL
Rick, I keep telling people to ask for someone besides me. They already know me and can ask me anytime. But as usual, just like at home, nobody is paying any attention to what I tell them to do.

Ok so a question. I'd been meaning to get some prints made -- but ran out of time. Should I go get some one-hour prints tomorrow or will having images on my laptop work out at least ok?

Just bring the files on your laptop. By the way, if anyone is bringing files not prints, you must also bring your own laptop to view them, just so that's clear. Laptops are not provided. We have a limited amount of time for each critique, so get there 4-5 minutes early and have your laptop booted up and the files located. Don't waste your short alloted time messing around finding the files.

Keith

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I was assigned Keith by Jim--it's my first critique--shouldn't I stick with you even though I could get advice from you here? I try to listen to instructions . . .

I also will have digital files as my prints are too large--16x24 mostly. Should I bring one or just stick to the computer?

Looking forward to it . . . I think.

Elizabeth

Heather_L._Smith
01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Elizabeth -
Just my personal opinion, but I'm bringing all my files on computer because I don't want to haul around a bunch of 16x20's... the computer will be bad enough as it is. There won't be much opportunity to get back to your room, so only carry what you absolutley must.

D._Craig_Flory
01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I am hoping & praying for Karen. I saw, on the weather channel, that they are getting from 2 to 6 inches of snow ... AN HOUR out there !!! If she wasn't trying to get to Florida I know she would love having that much snow - but not when roads are being closed. For those who have never been out in the western states ... when they close a road they mean it. No one leaves. So I hope she got to the airport and the flight got off and landed in Florida with no problems.

Betsy_Finn
01-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Just bring the files on your laptop. By the way, if anyone is bringing files not prints, you must also bring your own laptop to view them, just so that's clear. Laptops are not provided. We have a limited amount of time for each critique, so get there 4-5 minutes early and have your laptop booted up and the files located. Don't waste your short alloted time messing around finding the files.

Keith
Ok cool. that saves me some work today :D

Thanks Keith :)

Peter_Bauer
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Keith,
Do you yet know where on the floor the mentoring program will take place?
Thanks,
Pete

Peter_Bauer
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Keith,
Do you yet know where on the floor the mentoring program will take place?
Thanks,
Pete

The mentoring is in the print exhibition, to the far right. And having just come back, I absolutely urge everyone, no matter how timid or shy or self-critical, to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity! I actually spoke with two judges and both were warm and friendly. Great feedback about how to better prepare my images for -- here's the key for me -- what the judges expect to see. And even if you're not interested in competition, you can get great advice on how to improve your photography and your product. Absolutely non-threatening, completely positive environment.

Pete

Keith_A_Howe
01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Well- The conference is over and I am at the airport. I don't have any knives in my back and nobody cried . . . that I saw. So the critiques must have been ok. Thanks to everyone who got the courage to participate. that's important because next time around maybe someone who was currently too timid to try will see that you guys lived through it and take the chance themselves. I really enjoyed meeting everyone.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
It was great - thank you, Keith! You have a very respectful and caring way of saying "your work is horrible!" Hahaha... just kidding. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Like going to the dentist.

Andrea_Chapelo
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Keith,
Thanks so much for your time with my prints. You were great...and I am so excited to work on the things that you showed me! For those of you who were afraid to try it...do it next time for sure! It was so worthwhile and I wish I would have asked for help earlier.

Mark_Levesque
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Let me add my voice to the many thanking the print mentors for critiquing our prints. In my case it was Keith as well. OBTW- thanks for the subtle way of putting pressure on me. Don't think I didn't notice. :p

Betsy_Finn
01-09-2008, 06:19 PM
yes thanks to all the print mentors the input was great :D

Ron_Jackson
01-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Keith I am so grateful for the time you spent with me and the wisdom you imparted on my work. I did as you said and have talked with Wal-Mart about a job as a greeter. Dang. I had hoped I could make it as a photographer but I have to accept your comments. Kidding folks! Keith gave me so much valuable insight and I have already started working on those images as you suggested. Thanks again for your comments and caring.

Heather_L._Smith
01-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I've started a scratch book of ideas for comp prints - I'm trying one tomorrow. If it actually works, I'll post :-)

Rick_Massarini
01-10-2008, 04:16 AM
OK everybody - now that you all have gotten your critiques and now know what you need to do to get those prints to hang, I'm making a list of OurPPA members - so when I get to the judging this July in Daytona, I'm expecting to see four merit images in the exhibit from everyone !!! As Nike says - Just do it !!! Heck, even if it doesn't hang, it's fun!! And a reminder - be sure to request a critique - it really is worth the small additional fee !!!!

Mark_Levesque
01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
OK everybody - now that you all have gotten your critiques and now know what you need to do to get those prints to hang...
Yes, "start over. don't do it like that." :) LOL

Heather_L._Smith
01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Or "hmmm... we're running out of time, let's just skip this one"

Karen_Linsley
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
wow, getting the critique was invaluable, and I got two! One from a guy I didn't know, who was very helpful and positive. The other from Keith! Thank you Kieth! And Holly too! Both of you went out of your way to sit down with me and spend some time, when you were hungry and tired. I really appreciate that.

I left both critiques with a game plan and will be getting started!

Also, Rick: you were very helpful as well!

Linda_Gregory
01-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I went to the critique and met a new source, then had Jeff look at my images and then Keith filled in.

Boy, do I have my work cut out for me! Gotta narrow it down now and get to work.

Thanks for everyone and may put up a webpage later and ask for votes!

Rick_Massarini
01-11-2008, 01:56 AM
OK everybody - you should be seeing a new avatar soon for Little-Bo-Linda Gregory. I'm sending the photos from the convention - so she'll have no excuse for replacing the bull...

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-11-2008, 03:07 AM
There are so many threads I can't keep up! But my critique was great. Keith, it was one of the most valuable things I've done in many years photography-wise. You were so kind to take extra time with me, and to advise me on my 2 very different styles of work. I can't thank you enough for your time and expertise. I can't wait to do it again, and will certainly enter competition as soon as I can directly as a result of your critique. And I will get straight to work with *clear goals* on new improved work. I am newly inspired, and now have direction for improvement.

Elizabeth

Debra_Collins
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I want to add my Thanks to the mentors too! I learned a lot and feel SO much more confident in entering this year. Helping to hang and take down the prints also helped since I got to see everything without all the crowds around. It was great to have knowledgable people around answering questions as we worked.

Linda_Gregory
01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Debra, I was there, too. Now I'm wondering which one you were!

Peter_Bauer
01-14-2008, 03:22 AM
And don't forget about State and Regional competition -- no reason (for many of us) to wait! I have State in just a few weeks and will be incorporating all of the feedback I received through the mentoring session and from other discussions with judges in Tampa. Key points I brought home:
--Full bleed 16x20, incorporating digital step mount or mat.
--Short title.
--Gloss, gloss, gloss.

May your print be perfect when the carousel spins!
Pete

D._Craig_Flory
01-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi Peter;

I have an add-on for your "May your print be perfect when the carousel spins". And "May the judges get excited by your titles and stay excited when they see the corresponding images".

Peter_Bauer
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
D. Craig, if we're going to get with this short-title thing, I think you and I are going to have start abbreviating or something!
Pete