PDA

View Full Version : Imaging Madness!

Marc_Benjamin
11-28-2007, 06:02 AM
As Imaging 08 approaches fast, I wanted to remind everyone of your task of irresponsible photo partying during the main parties and the totally fun afterparties and private parties of which if I'm lucky enough will be invited to. Hint: I've always wondered what goes on during the presidents party. Also if you make it to the early bird programs I think you fail! lol J/k...

Anyways, Here's an image of one of our fellow photographers whom shall remain un-named (unless he fesses up) which I hope serves as a reminder to go all out till the photo police hunts you down!

http://www.kickstep.com/ppa/imaging07/DrunkForumMember.jpg

Party on and see you in Tampa!

Mike_Fulton
11-28-2007, 06:19 AM
See you at ChannelSide my friend!

Kacy_Kizer
11-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Hahaha! Unfortunately I won't be there, so be sure to do some extra "photo partying" on my behalf :)

Mike_Fulton
11-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Hahaha! Unfortunately I won't be there, so be sure to do some extra "photo partying" on my behalf :)

We will make up for you not being there at WPPI. Your helping me out at the Champagne Shootout right :)

Andrea_Chapelo
11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Sounds fun! I can't wait til January. I plan on being a little irresponsible...but no cop cars please:D Marc, I figured it I stay up all night then making those early classes will be no problem, right?

Marc_Benjamin
11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Marc, I figured it I stay up all night then making those early classes will be no problem, right?

Funny, that's how it was like at New Orleans a few years ago. It was like Bourbon street till 5, breakfast and then early bird class!

Linda_Gregory
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
I will be there, party hat in hand (don't wanna mess the hair).

I'll have the benefit of jet lag and timing will be really messed up but I'm sure staying up for partying will be easy for me. I'll be everyone's mother, directing you to the appropriate room to go throw up, heh, and forcing food on you.

Lori_Clapp
11-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I can't wait to go have as much fun this year as you told me I had last year!! But I am going to try to keep those dollar dance under control this year!!

Are we going to set up a time and place to all meet up or will we just hunt each other down?

Cheri_MacCallum
11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Hopefully we won't miss too much fun, Drew and I will be there Mon. and Tues. night.

Karen_Linsley
11-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I'll be there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. I will not be one of those who will be staying up all night long, but I'd like to get together with everyone and meet in person!

Michael_Gan
11-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Just be kind to all of us from California who are Council members on Tuesday. Council meeting is at 3:00 AM!

Heather_L._Smith
11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm so giddy I'm beside myself! Can't wait!! This is our first year at IUSA. We were at WPPI a few years ago (can I say WPPI on this forum?), and it was a treasure trove of info... although we didn't go to any parties... we're weren't on the 'cool' list.

Jeff_Dachowski
11-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I have so many photos that really need to be destoyed from last year.
Jeff

Suzy_Roberts
11-28-2007, 04:08 PM

Coyote Ugly just won't be the same without you :( altho...this year at wppi we WILL be going to the one in Vegas....:D

Stephanie_Millner
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm very excited. Liz talked me into going with her this year. (Can't you see my arm twisting like a pretzel? ;) ) Can't wait to see Marcus Bell speak!

Who else is going? Jeff? 'Cause I owe you a bottle of wine still...

Jackie_Haggerty
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Are we going to set up a time and place to all meet up or will we just hunt each other down?

I am so glad you volunteered to organize that get together this year, Lori!

Andrea_Chapelo
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Who else is going? Jeff? 'Cause I owe you a bottle of wine still...

Stephanie, Make sure you bring Jeff some wine so we can drink it again. It was pretty good Jeff.I'll bring him some too and then we can have twice the fun!:)

Lori, Make sure I am on your list when you organize the meeting:D

Lori_Clapp
11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Well at least if I'm in charge of organizing it, at least I know I will be invited!!

Mark_Levesque
11-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I am trying very hard to join you folks. Still a bit iffy. A few things up in the air still. Not that all my might amounts to much, but that's how hard I'm trying.

Cassandra_Sullivan
11-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm not going - not in the budget this year (all my $$ is going to my daughter's wedding). But I'm already saving for 2009 - Arizona I think it is?

Jackie_Haggerty
11-28-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm not going - not in the budget this year (all my $$ is going to my daughter's wedding). But I'm already saving for 2009 - Arizona I think it is?

Fine, be that way! ;) I do think the Arizona one is a good reason to go see the Grand Canyon- and Nashville after that- horray! Driving distance!

Cheri_MacCallum
11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Coyote Ugly just won't be the same without you altho...this year at wppi we WILL be going to the one in Vegas....

The one in New Orleans was fun too last year!!!:D

Derek_Alvarez
11-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey , What was David Mckay doing to me..... I mean That poor guy

Linda_Gregory
11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Lori? *blink blink* will you please include me in your plans??? I wanna 'gettogether!'

Marc_Benjamin
11-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey , What was David Mckay doing to me..... I mean That poor guy

Hahahaha, real weird stuff happens when everyone's having fun ey!

Just be kind to all of us from California who are Council members on Tuesday. Council meeting is at 3:00 AM!

My god, Benson and Olsen will probably kick my behind if I don't make the meeting cause of too much partying the night before. Heck, then again, that didn't stop me from making it last year!

Oh we have a victim er volunteer!

Jeff

Yes please and going forward, let's remember the Marc Benjamin photo policy that everything of me goes through me first for retouch lol!

Kacy_Kizer
11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
We will make up for you not being there at WPPI. Your helping me out at the Champagne Shootout right :)

Definitely! You might have to tear me away from the ice cream, buuut yeah I'll be there. I found a killer flight/hotel deal so I'm booking soon, can't wait!

Coyote Ugly just won't be the same without you :( altho...this year at wppi we WILL be going to the one in Vegas....:D

Oh dear. Hahahaha. It'll be a few days after my birthday this time, so it's my turn for the "best birthday ever!!!!" :P

Looking forward to hearing everyone's Imaging stories :)

Joe_Galioto
11-28-2007, 10:13 PM
kacy,
capricorn
first day of convention is my b-day.
joe

Kacy_Kizer
11-28-2007, 10:17 PM
kacy,
capricorn
first day of convention is my b-day.
joe

Ah! Mine is the first day of WPPI (won't be there yet though), can't make it to Imaging :(

But having your b-day during a convention is definitely an extra excuse for the parties :) :) Hope you have fun!!

Jack_Reznicki
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Jeff

Ummmm....thanks Jeff. :o

George_Hawkins
11-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Ummmm....thanks Jeff. :o

OK Jeff, I know you have some snaps that need deleting.

Somehow, I missed the connection along River Walk last year, but I'll make better attempt to meet the "groups".

George

Ron_Jackson
11-29-2007, 04:33 AM
Anyone else here invited to the "secret" celeb shoot and after party out on the bay?

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-29-2007, 04:53 AM
Ralph and I will be there but I'm not pickin' up a camera unless someone pays me double time so I think you guys are SAFE from any after party shots from my lens! We fully expect a few drunk shots to float around of us afterward though... :p

Ok, I want in on the "SECRET" stuff!!!

George_Hawkins
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone else here invited to the "secret" celeb shoot and after party out on the bay?

OK Ron, I'll bite! What's the rumor? shoot & party?

Ron_Jackson
11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm really not supposed to say but the hint is that Derek (the celebrity) has rented a row boat and is taking out special guests with a six pack of beer for a bay cruise. :)

Andrea_Chapelo
11-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm really not supposed to say but the hint is that Derek (the celebrity) has rented a row boat and is taking out special guests with a six pack of beer for a bay cruise. :)

Ron, You always crack me up! I sure hope I get to meet you in Tampa. So Derek and a row boat with a six pack, huh. Since I think you are the only one invited on the cruise Ron, let us know how it was:D

JE_Hedges_Photography
11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Hand Raised! I'll be at Imaging USA! Just let me know where to meet up with the cool people.

Ron_Jackson
11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
All the cool people will be at the pool bar with coco locos in hand. You will recognize them by their plaid bermuda shorts, black knee length socks and a camera around their neck...eh Derek?

Nate_Weatherly
11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
This will be my first Imaging USA. I'll be there for Julia Woods' pre-con sales seminar on Friday and the Urban shoot on Saturday and will be staying until The festivities end on Tuesday night. Unfortunately I'll be all on my own since my wife can't come and none of my photo friends are going. Does anyone have any advice for having the best time possible? (both professionally and fun-wise?) I'd love to meet up with some people and at least avoid sitting in a hotel room by myself every night. :o)

Also, just thought I'd ask again. Would anyone be willing to share a hotel room with me? 5-6 nights at $120 each is pretty heavy for a new business owner...

Thanks!

Nate

Heather_L._Smith
11-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Ron - do you wear sandals with those black socks and bermuda shorts?

Is it wrong to put a Hawaiian shirt with Bermuda shorts?

Heather_L._Smith
11-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Who's staying at the Embassy??

Marc_Benjamin
11-29-2007, 06:24 PM
All the cool people will be at the pool bar with coco locos in hand. You will recognize them by their plaid bermuda shorts, black knee length socks and a camera around their neck...eh Derek?

For more Tampa fashion tips:

http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114899#post114899

JE_Hedges_Photography
11-29-2007, 06:24 PM

ME! Hand raised again.

Ron_Jackson
11-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Marc has the visual proof! Sandals or peney loafers are th best. Hawaiian shirts that are complete color opposites of your plaid shorts are best too. Or a tank top that says something about ZZ Top or the Dead on it are good too. Me, I have to admit I am almost always in black. Lots of Hawaiian shirts, no sandals, not likely to be in shorts. Lots of black or jeans and Hawaiian shirts. Now Derek is easier to spot. He is usually in some sort of muscle shirt to show off those guns and all his prized tattoos. Being a photographer, all his tattoos are actually cheat sheets. Light ratios, lighting diagrams, posing diagrams etc. pretty cool actually. :) If you need to know something in a hurry, just run up to Derek and rip his shirt off.

George_Hawkins
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM

You'll see me at Embassy's "manager's reception".

Julie, I was told your imaging buddy pass is Jane or is it Andie G? I've known them both for years, and maybe invite them to one reception!
They are both getting Cr degree.

George

Cassandra_Sullivan
11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Now Derek is easier to spot. He is usually in some sort of muscle shirt to show off those guns and all his prized tattoos. Being a photographer, all his tattoos are actually cheat sheets. Light ratios, lighting diagrams, posing diagrams etc. pretty cool actually. :) If you need to know something in a hurry, just run up to Derek and rip his shirt off.

Thanks for the laugh this afternoon! That's hysterical!

Jack_Reznicki
11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Also, just thought I'd ask again. Would anyone be willing to share a hotel room with me? 5-6 nights at $120 each is pretty heavy for a new business owner...

Nate,

You may want to start another thread with that request.
You'll get more responses.

We may also do something like "dinner with a stranger" so you can hook up with "new friends".
We also have a "new attendee" reception. Easy to meet people there.

Stephanie_Millner
11-30-2007, 03:55 AM
So who else is at the Marriott Convention Center HQ with me and Liz?

(she's so efficient she booked the room last year!)

Jackie_Haggerty
11-30-2007, 04:09 AM
This will be my first Imaging USA. I'll be there for Julia Woods' pre-con sales seminar on Friday and the Urban shoot on Saturday and will be staying until The festivities end on Tuesday night. Unfortunately I'll be all on my own since my wife can't come and none of my photo friends are going. Does anyone have any advice for having the best time possible? (both professionally and fun-wise?) I'd love to meet up with some people and at least avoid sitting in a hotel room by myself every night. :o)

Nate,

NO WAY would we leave you out- don't worry a bit!!

Marc_Benjamin
11-30-2007, 04:56 AM
..."dinner with a stranger" so you can hook up ...

See that's the kind of programing that I'm talking about!

DianeDavis
11-30-2007, 05:20 AM
See that's the kind of programing that I'm talking about!

Shows the difference in the "lingo" of the generations. ROTFL

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Ron, I'm too big for a row boat, maybe a show boat... But, no cameras please!!!

Ron_Jackson
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
This will be my first Imaging so I expect a lot of guidance and hand holding. Okay, that is just wrong. That was a weak attempt to get some sympathy and find an attractive female to babysit me and hold my hand. :(

Actually I am very curious about many aspects but I suppose it will unfold as I go through it. Any tips from vets are appreciated.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Not my first one Ron, but I've always been too busy "learning" to do any socializing, but this time I plan to have a bit more fun! I did have a blast in New Orleans though!

But seriously folks, we would like to snap some cool shots in an Urban setting while we're down there. So, if you guys do something like this and wouldn't mind having Ralph and I tag along please let us know!

Keith_A_Howe
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Any tips from vets are appreciated.

Wear comfortable shoes.
Take plenty of money for the toy (I think they actually call it trade) show.
Keith

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeap, we're looking at printers this year and fully expect to find the bigger one that we've been dreamin' of at the show! They usually have print samples including canvas and fine art papers of the latest and greatest! We've been saving for months now in hopes of a "show special"...

Lori_Clapp
11-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Okay, this thread is getting too busy. I'm afraid I'm going to miss something fun. I would love to do the urban shoot Cindi is talking about...I WANNA' DO IT ALLLLLL!!! We need to come up with a list of all the fun stuff we want to do, who's doing it, where, etc.

If everyone wants to e-mail me their cell phone numbers, where they are staying, when they get there, what they want to do, etc., I will TRY to organize it into some kind of spreadsheet we can all look at. I am going to go kill myself right now for volunteering for this. I just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Please don't PM your info to me because my box is almost full and I don't have time to go through and empty what I don't need. Send me an e-mail at loric1@mac.com.

I can't wait!!!

Jeff_Dachowski
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
This will be my first Imaging USA. I'll be there for Julia Woods' pre-con sales seminar on Friday
Thanks!

Nate

Nate,
Make sure you say hello. I am in that class as well.

we are staying at the Embassy. In fact most of those I know are staying there.
Jeff

Andrea_Chapelo
12-01-2007, 12:12 AM
This will be my first Imaging so I expect a lot of guidance and hand holding. Okay, that is just wrong. That was a weak attempt to get some sympathy and find an attractive female to babysit me and hold my hand. :(

Actually I am very curious about many aspects but I suppose it will unfold as I go through it. Any tips from vets are appreciated.

Ron this is my first Imaging too. I am so excited! Hope to get to meet you.

Wear comfortable shoes.
Take plenty of money for the toy (I think they actually call it trade) show.
Keith

Keith, You made us wear comforatable shoes at the safari! This time I am going for the cute shoes:D

Marc_Benjamin
12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
This time I am going for the cute shoes:D

Penny loafers it is!

Ron_Jackson
12-01-2007, 02:36 AM
As I shine my penny loafers and get my best plaid shorts out of moth balls, I have a question. A real question and not a funny.

Looking over the Imaging schedule, do you have to sign up for the individual topics? I see things like Wedding and Portrait Track and Essentials Track. You don't have to pick a track and just do that stuff do you? Can you just show up for each of the things you want at the times listed?

Marc_Benjamin
12-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Hey Ron,

You can come in and out as you please. Though sometimes, certain rooms get full fast then they close the door. Though I'm sure that you can get into anything that you want as long as you show up in your plaid shorts, loafers and cabana shirt combo!

George_Hawkins
12-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Please count me in for a possible urban shoot!
I am reserved at Embassy - for the afternoon/evening receptions!
I'll be there Saturday afternoon, arriving from my sister & husband's place just south of Sarasota.

I may want to see Jack's program at 7:00 am.

I promised some degree recipients I'd be at their awards reception.

George

Since it should be warm weather, I changed my avatar to an image I captured on St John, USVI, with Tortola, BVI in background.... many years ago.

JE_Hedges_Photography
12-01-2007, 03:28 AM
You'll see me at Embassy's "manager's reception".

Julie, I was told your imaging buddy pass is Jane or is it Andie G? I've known them both for years, and maybe invite them to one reception!
They are both getting Cr degree.

George

Hey George.... Jane is my buddy! :)

Andrea_Chapelo
12-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Penny loafers it is!

Yes, Penny Loafers. I am sure they are in the closet somewhere under all of those kick a** heels:p

DianeDavis
12-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Ok, I wanna go again in someones suitcase, but this year I need to hang with a less lively crowd, the hangovers were killer last year! And my reputation barely survived the table dances.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
That's right Julie is my buddy. My husband will be coming too but he is just going to hang out at the hotel and especially the parties. My parents are coming up from their winter home to the awards ceremony too.

Linda_Gregory
12-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Diane, I'm a bit away from CA but I'd gladly pack you in my luggage! I'll see that you behave. I still have a lot of 'mother' in me!

Lori_Clapp
12-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Diane - I thought you were coming?? Bummer! Are you at least sending Zack again?

I'm getting e-mails from people that want to meet up somewhere - send me your info if you want on the spreadsheet!

What's the deal with the urban shoot we want to do. Are we just setting it up ourselves or is someone leading it? Everyone has mentioned wanting to do it. Does anyone have ideas for it? I think we have plenty of people for it. Are we just all going to meet and head out somewhere?

George_Hawkins
12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
That's right Julie is my buddy. My husband will be coming too but he is just going to hang out at the hotel and especially the parties. My parents are coming up from their winter home to the awards ceremony too.

Let's not broadcast it, but meet at Embassy for a libation, with big Don, your husband and your mom! Steve & Lorraine walked in with me at a previous convention, when they told me to book Embassy and then they went to another!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-01-2007, 05:48 PM
I can start searching on the web for a few local models in Tampa for an Urban Shoot. If you guys are serious about doing this let me know! I'm looking for some serious local models because I've worked in Tampa before and I can tell you from experience this is NOT a town you want to do much exploring in without a local escort! It's a beautiful place as long as you don't turn the wrong corner, but I have turned a wrong corner in Tampa before and don't mind telling you that it was a little TOO URBAN for me!!! Tampa has some serious problems with homeless people, gangs, drugs and violence... I'm all for doing this, but with a little guidance from a few locals who can steer us in the right direction! Let me know you thoughts...

Ron_Jackson
12-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Cindi I go there very often to shoot and the further out in the water you get, the safer it gets. Seriously though, there are several forum members here that live in or around Tampa that might help with that uban setting thing.

My question about this is, are you talking about just an urban building area to shoot in? My suggestion is to take advantage of the many wonderful and beautiful water front areas be it, beach, marinas, waterfront parks etc. There are just so many wonderful and beautiful locations to choose from over there. Just a thought.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I guess that's what I'm asking in that I need to know what everyone means by "Urban"... Are we truly looking for an urban setting or a scenic outdoor setting??? Are we wanting to venture out away from the convention site or find a scenic spot nearby to shoot and if so do we need models???

Ron_Jackson
12-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Well consider this. Many of you don't live near an ocean. You can shoot urban building shots about anywhere and they will all look similar. Shooting in the many many senic water areas in and around Tampa is something you won't be doing in most other parts of the country. Just a thought. And yes, even around the convention center there are some pretty areas. right across the Channelside bridge from the convention center is a really nice park setting right along the channel.

Marc_Benjamin
12-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Cindy,

Sounds like a great idea though I would caution you take a look at the convention schedule very very closely. Not to be a killjoy but sometimes it's kinda hard to get away for a jam session during the main convention days. See you got full programing during the day, a little break for the trade show, maybe a couple of hours to rest up a little and then it's the evening stuff. How about scheduling something on Saturday? Wednesday is kinda tough also since most everyone is flying out.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking we will arrive sometime early Saturday anyway, so I'm thinking sometime late that day... We'd love to have you play along Marc!

Lori_Clapp
12-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I will be in a class until 5:00 Saturday, but I agree with whoever said it....we should shoot for something more "Florida-ey". Something we can't get at home, like hmmm....sun, color, green grass, water, anything but SNOW!!! Lol.

I don't know about this working out - most of the people who are interested won't be there until Sunday. I will just watch and see what happens!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Anyone who will be there on Saturday and would like to do this can email me at envoguephoto@comcast.net
If you would rather try to do it on Sunday let me know this as well so we can try to work it out!

Thanks!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Sounds good to me George!

We need to exchange cell numbers. Come to think of it I need to get quite a few numbers I guess.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
12-01-2007, 09:31 PM
George, is that Trunk Bay? I got the worst sunburn of my life on that island during my honeymoon. All that free rum punch.

Stephanie_Millner
12-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Hopefully someone here can tell me the airport code for Tampa? Is it PIE?
___
nevermind. found it.

Joseph_Miska
12-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I live in Tampa, right in the city not far from downtown. Even though I've only lived here about 5 months, my job gets me all over the area and I've gotten to know it pretty well.

Ron is absolutely right about finding unique locations here if you want to do a shoot. The actual downtown area of Tampa is nice and all, but not distinctive enough that I'd waste model time with that. He's also right about the river front area right near the convention center being a unique and nice location (different than the rest of downtown, which is somewhat generic). The real draw of this place is the gorgeous shoreline that has thousands of twists and curves.

Tampa isn't really any less safe than any other city its size, and does have some unique urban areas. Don't drive around at night without a clue what you're doing, but use good sense, keep your eyes open and just practice the same kind of general awareness you would in any bigger city.

Ybor City is an interesting Colombian neighborhood that is somewhat to Tampa what the French Quarter is to New Orleans (but not as much a party center). There's unique old architecture there (and a great, historic restaurant called "The Colombian" that you might want to try when you're here). There are more waterfront areas near downtown where the cruise ships come in; there's an aquarium there and general tourist stuff, but I don't know how useful it would be for worthwhile shooting. There is a big shrimp-boat harbor with some real unique visuals, but it's pretty "gritty."

There are also some great beaches out on the gulf coast that get spectacular sunsets (Clearwater beach is about 2-300 yards deep of pure white sand). It's about a 40 minute drive straight west from the convention center. The inter coastal areas between the barrier islands and the mainland have some very pretty and unique, "Florida" settings, including nice harbors and marinas full of boats that cost millions of dollars. Those areas also have good parks with the old oaks and "royal" palms that can be so spectacular (old St. Petersburg is good for that).

The causeways and bridges that cross Tampa bay are interesting, though might be hard to make into good setting: 8+ mile spans across the bay (some with parks and beaches along them). Even more spectacular is the Sunshine Skyway. It's a fantastic bridge that crosses the mouth of Tampa bay (do a Google image search on it if you like). The problem there is that bridge is about a 45 minute drive out of downtown Tampa.

I'd be happy to guide everyone around, but timing is an issue for me. I'm supposed to be in Orlando all weekend for an event that was planned a long time ago and isn't really movable. I was planning on being at the convention center on Monday and Tuesday for some things, but otherwise wasn't going to be too available, unfortunately. During the very end of December I'm giving up my Tampa condo and moving to the next county north. We'll be heavily in the midst of moving right when the convention is going on and I'm pretty overwhelmed right now. I wish it wasn't the case, because the timing is terrible for me. Here I have this in my own backyard and can't take full advantage.

Still, feel free to email or call me if you want to think about settings, ideas, etc. I'll help anyone out however I can. I'll even be reasonably available on Monday or Tuesday, more so than Saturday or Sunday, I'm afraid.

Lori_Clapp
12-01-2007, 10:37 PM
___
nevermind. found it.

I think it's TMP, but it will fill in by itself.

Never mind - I see you found it!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Oh now I'm getting excited! I cant wait to wear my red dress for the degree ceremony.

George_Hawkins
12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
George, is that Trunk Bay? I got the worst sunburn of my life on that island during my honeymoon. All that free rum punch.

YES, it is Trunk Bay. Rented a mini moke I think as the name, like a mini jeep, and four of us toured for a day - in late 70's. I know the image as an avatar is very small. I have a different image shot within seconds, enlarged to 4x6'; it used to hang very nicely between two windows, from 1978-1980!!!

Recently, a very similar images was on a monthly calendar!

I have not been up on the hill, but have been back in US & B VI sailing numerous times. Tortola, BVI is in distance. I just scanned a slide and printed to only 12" on my Epson 4000 - looks quite good!

Actually Verizon has a similar image as a free wallpaper on my cell phone. It's not as good as this as a building in distance jumps out as it's so bright compared to the remaining image. How can I get my image on my Razr phone, other than photographing it? However, one image I captured with the cell phone camera is really terrible when I have it linked to a name in the contact.

Michael_Gan
12-01-2007, 11:06 PM
___
nevermind. found it.Tampa's is TPA. The one Lori mentioned is only temporary :D

George_Hawkins
12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I go along with Ron's ideas and Joe's follow up ideas.

I grew up LONG time ago on the MA coast, just south of Boston, and my body needs that nautical atmosphere!

I do have a cell phone, but would rather not write it openly; I'll email it to participants and friends. I have no issue saying I will accept messages for me at Embassy are fine, and followed up with cell #.

I also have a portable GPS unit which has a walk mode - only had it a month and not tested the walk mode; BUT it's battery life is only two hours, which is not to say it can not be shut on and view directions then turn off; it remembers the destination.

George

Michael_Gan
12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh now I'm getting excited! I cant wait to wear my red dress for the degree ceremony.Ah! We should be able to spot you. All the rest of us will be in Funeral Black :D

Stephanie_Millner
12-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks Michael & Lori. Got my ticket! :)

Lori_Clapp
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I go along with Ron's ideas and Joe's follow up ideas.

I grew up LONG time ago on the MA coast, just south of Boston, and my body needs that nautical atmosphere!

I do have a cell phone, but would rather not write it openly; I'll email it to participants and friends. I have no issue saying I will accept messages for me at Embassy are fine, and followed up with cell #.

I also have a portable GPS unit which has a walk mode - only had it a month and not tested the walk mode; BUT it's battery life is only two hours, which is not to say it can not be shut on and view directions then turn off; it remembers the destination.

George

George, maybe you better wear a shirt that says, "If found, please return to Imaging USA". Just in case your GPS fails you!:D :D

Marc_Benjamin
12-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Ah! We should be able to spot you. All the rest of us will be in Funeral Black :D

I think I'll show up on stage as a shaolin monk again this year just to break the black tie monotony! :)

Michael_Gan
12-02-2007, 06:25 PM
LOL, no wonder you're wearing the hoody...bald headed are you? :D

JohnHeckler
12-03-2007, 03:12 AM
This is my first IUSA, so I'm not at all familiar with Tampa, the area hotels, etc.

If you had your choice between Embassy and Marriott Waterside, which hotel would you choose?

I'm guessing the Embassy is a little more convenient as it states it is connected to the Tampa Convention Center, right?

Ron_Jackson
12-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Sure if you can get a room. It's been sold out for quite some time now. Both of them have been.

JohnHeckler
12-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Sure if you can get a room. It's been sold out for quite some time now. Both of them have been.

Yeah, I actually made reservations at both several months ago because I wasn't sure which one would work best. I'm going to give up the Marriott reservation. If anyone wants it (Jan 4-8), PM me ASAP.

George_Hawkins
12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I actually made reservations at both several months ago because I wasn't sure which one would work best. I'm going to give up the Marriott reservation. If anyone wants it (Jan 4-8), PM me ASAP.

Good plan: Embassy has breakfast, and the afternoon receptions. Many of the more interesting people are reserved at Embassy!

George

Michael_Gan
12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Many of the more interesting people are reserved at Embassy!Okaaaaay, now I know I'm chopped liver!

Ron_Jackson
12-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah that sounded a bit uh..... Well, I guess I am not interesting enough to stay there. I'll just let that one slide George.

Linda_Gregory
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Well I may not be interesting but now I know I'm staying with interesting people!

GO EMBASSY SUITES!

JohnHeckler
12-03-2007, 07:03 PM

Reservations have now been spoken for ... sheesh, that was quick and I almost didn't think it would be worth offering ...

Mark_Levesque
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Well, I bought tickets today! Woo freaking hoo! The missus and I are coming to Tampa! Yee ha! :D

And staying at the Embassy with the rest of the cool people. LOL (yes, Ron, that was for you.)

Stephanie_Millner
12-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Hooray Mark! Glad you're coming!

George_Hawkins
12-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, I bought tickets today! Woo freaking hoo! The missus and I are coming to Tampa! Yee ha! :D

And staying at the Embassy with the rest of the cool people. LOL (yes, Ron, that was for you.)

How'd you get Embassy at this time frame? You must have booked a long time ago. I did, and now need to cancel out of the 4th, as I am not getting to Tampa till 5th. Sister & husband are dropping me off on their drive from Ft Myers to Annapolis, MD.

Ron, sorry that I type very slow and my mind goes far faster and really was not thinking properly. All the people posting here are extremely interesting and reveal great information; problem is that not enough room under the Embassy roof.

Mark,

Sign up for the Leadership course on Saturday 1-5; it's FREE. Al Hopper & David Trust do a great job. You are on NHPPA Board or might be in future - as a footware company says: JUST DO IT!

George

Ron_Jackson
12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
I didn't think that you really meant that the rest of us didn't count. :) Micahel Gan and I now expect you to get us in to the happy hour at the Embassy one night.

I did notice today that there were rooms opened up for that time frame at the Embassy. The room posted room rates are quite a bit higher than the PPA rates. At any convention, each participating hotel blocks out a certain number of rooms for the event at special rate. They will hold other rooms and not show vacancies until about 30 days prior to the event then open them up to anyone but at normal rack rates. Many times on the day of the event, you can walk right up to the desk and get a room because of cancellations and unreserved rooms.

Nate_Weatherly
12-04-2007, 01:42 AM
I'm all set! One question though... Is the closing party on Tuesday night really worth the extra hotel night? Are most of you staying Tuesday night?

Anyone else going to Jeff and Julia's pre-con session on friday?

Nate

Lori_Clapp
12-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Nate, I'm leaving around 6 or 7 on Tuesday night. I figured it wasn't worth another night in the hotel - I'm spending enough as it is!

Marc_Benjamin
12-04-2007, 04:17 AM
Is the closing party on Tuesday night really worth the extra hotel night? Are most of you staying Tuesday night? Nate

Nate,

It kinda depends on where you are at your convention going life. Like most people that I know who go to the convention hardly (as first priority) attend the programs but rather speak at booths, are actual exhibitors, are move involved in all of the other meetings that go on during the convention and just go for the various awards ceremonies and get together.

The closing party's kinda nice since it caps all the festivities and events that happened during the last few days and is the last time that everyone will get together till next years convention. I don't know if you end up having a real good time then it would feel weird sitting at the airport while everyone else is getting wasted at the aquariums.

Michael_Gan
12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm all set! One question though... Is the closing party on Tuesday night really worth the extra hotel night? Are most of you staying Tuesday night?

Anyone else going to Jeff and Julia's pre-con session on friday?

NateDefinitely worth it. If just to go to the awards ceremony and get inspired by the achievements of your peers. This year should be interesting because it is expected that this will be the largest "Masters graduating class" ever. Now that the CPP restrictions were removed, all the holdouts will receive their degrees.

The parties are fun and I think if you stick around your OurPPA buddies, you will cement a bonding relationship when you come back online.

Karen_Linsley
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Definitely worth it. If just to go to the awards ceremony and get inspired by the achievements of your peers. This year should be interesting because it is expected that this will be the largest "Masters graduating class" ever. Now that the CPP restrictions were removed, all the holdouts will receive their degrees.

The parties are fun and I think if you stick around your OurPPA buddies, you will cement a bonding relationship when you come back online.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone, that's the main reason why I'm going! Oh....that and the toy show! :) But I also want to see who is getting their masters this year as well. Folks to emulate and all....ok, here's one for the stupid question category: if one is not getting an award, does one still have to dress up? Not that I mind dressing up, but I plan on traveling light....

Jack_Reznicki
12-04-2007, 04:31 PM
if one is not getting an award, does one still have to dress up? Not that I mind dressing up, but I plan on traveling light....

Nah. Just dress as a photographer. You need to dress up, only if you go on stage to get an award.
I'll be there in my penguin outfit. :D

Otherwise, casual.

Ron_Jackson
12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Jack that would be Emperor Penguin of course. :)

For those of you who enjoy local fare and especially seafood, there are two fish in particular here that you must have. The first is Dolphin which can be served many ways including an appetiser called Dolphin fingers. Cooked any way is good, my favorite is blackened. The other and the most indiginous to this area is grouper. What a great fish! Sweet and flaky and cooked so many ways. Blackened is also very good for this fish. Of course the gulf shirmp are awesome but try those fish. Yum! Making me hungry now for it.

Michael_Gan
12-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Just to clarify, you're not eating Flipper. This is commonly called Mahi Mahi on the left coast and Hawaii. :D

Ron_Jackson
12-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Michael I was just sitting and waiting for the first comment of horror regarding the term dolphin. Having lived in California for 25 years and spending a lot of time in Hawaii, Mahi Mahi was the only term I ever saw listed on a menu. The first time I came to Florida and saw they were serving dolphin, I was startled at first then I realized what they meant. However, to many unsuspecting visitors, they might not be so savvy to that term.

The difference is we eat the dolphin FISH not the dolphin (Flipper) mamal. :)

George_Hawkins
12-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Ron,

I've had grouper in the Caribbean, and thought great! I'll follow your suggestion of grouper. Just point to the appropriate restaurant.

Karen, I've sat in audience at awards in casual attire, the last two years. Same plan this year as I have friends receiving degrees.

George

I'll need to catch Jack as Prez, as we've had great conversations before being PREZ!!!

Howard_Barlow
12-05-2007, 02:48 AM
Michael I was just sitting and waiting for the first comment of horror regarding the term dolphin. Having lived in California for 25 years and spending a lot of time in Hawaii, Mahi Mahi was the only term I ever saw listed on a menu. The first time I came to Florida and saw they were serving dolphin, I was startled at first then I realized what they meant. However, to many unsuspecting visitors, they might not be so savvy to that term.

The difference is we eat the dolphin FISH not the dolphin (Flipper) mamal. :)

Ron,
Do NOT order mullet in Texas. You will be laughed out of the restaurant.

Ron_Jackson
12-05-2007, 03:58 AM
Howard I grew up in Arkansas and spent a lot of time in Texas and yes, even my ex's live in Texas. I know it well especially the Houston and Dallas area plus believe it or not Midland/Odessa too. I won't be ordering Mullet there. I would hope that is about died off by now. :)