PDA

View Full Version : Critique some of my stuff...pretty please!

Greg_Hawkins
11-25-2007, 01:03 AM
I have the bug to enter print competition after a few years of not doing so. I'm out of touch as to what is flying and what's not these days so I would love some input on some of the prints that I'm considering. I'm also thinking about doing a wedding album but I don't have anything put together, yet...and I know that I can only enter four...I just don't have a clue where to start. Any help from some of you competition veterans would be GREATLY appreciated.

Humbly

Greg

http://www.studiogphoto.net/ppa01.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
11-26-2007, 04:50 AM
It is really hard to tell for sure on these low res files but I like #1. 5,7,8,11 are possibles, I would need to see larger files and take a look on my good monitor, this old laptop is not real good to analyze images.
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
11-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Here is why I don't think some of these will do well in competition.
#2 - Too busy with the light and dark spots in the image, the light streaks, the light reflection spot in the lens and the light backlight pampas grass and fence distracts the eye away from the couple.
#3 - while interesting for a display for clients, the mixed lighting directions of the sky vs the direct light on the building is in conflict. Add this to the different appearing light quality and direction on the couple makes me want to look for tech issues.
#4 - I would need a whopper of a title to sell this image, It is not impossible but as I see it here I need to explain the diff in motion vs no motion in the image. The other thing I am seeing is the main gentlemans shirt is color shifting.
#6 - Been done, is it sharp before the effect, lighting looks like is is hiding the brides face leaves a lot of questions as to why the effect? Is it adding to the story? Again I would need a title to help it out.
#9 - color bleed on to his forehead and feels overly burned with loss of detail in the blacks.
#10 - looks like there is detail loss in the dress, lighting is a bit flat. The effect looks like a bit heavy handed nic filter. Use of the fisheye feels a bit too tight of crop for me.

These are JMOs
Keith

Greg_Hawkins
11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Keith,

THANKS for the input! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback. I still have lots of time and I know that some of these need some more attention. You've definitely given me some food for thought.

Thanks, again!

Greg