PDA

View Full Version : Opinions??

Paul_Witkowski
11-05-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm seeking comment on these three images with respect to competition-worthiness. I, too, am a newbie at this. (The third image will be attached to another post.)

Thanks!!

Paul_Witkowski
11-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Here's the third...

Jeff_Dachowski
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Paul,
I only have a second but I think the stongest possiblity in my opinion is the first image, with a lot of work done to it. THe horse really needs to be seperated from all of the stuff around it. The rope causes a leading line which brings you to an out of focus person. I could see this fliped, and and in an etheral setting. I love the feel of this horse image.

Jeff

Stacey_West
11-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Paul,

I second Jeff's comments about the first image. I don't know if it is much better flipped though. As it is the line of the rope leads into the horse (which is better IMHO; flipped the line leads away from the horse.) I'd clone out the distracting bright windows on the barn doors.

Also I like the musical photos on your website. I, naturally, looked at the Oklahoma images! Not to hijack this thread but can you give me any details on how these were shot? I'll be doing Annie Get Your Gun this Thursday...

Paul_Witkowski
11-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Hi Stacie:

All of the shots from the musicals were from my seat in the auditorium, during one of the actual performances. OKLAHOMA!! was from about three years ago and I was shooting with a Fuji S2 with a 70-200 f/2.8VR lens at the time. The Drama Parents know the seats I like (on the left aisle, anywhere from the 10th to the 15th row) and they reserve me a seat.

I've always been pleased with Fuji's low light/high ISO performance. (In fact, most of the horse indoor arena shots were taken with my Fuji S5 at ISO 3200. I haven't owned the S5 for very long, and this is the first project I've ever done using such a high ISO.)

Wil_Bloodworth
11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Paul,
I only have a second but I think the stongest possiblity in my opinion is the first image, with a lot of work done to it. THe horse really needs to be seperated from all of the stuff around it. The rope causes a leading line which brings you to an out of focus person. I could see this fliped, and and in an etheral setting. I love the feel of this horse image.

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm not sure why you say the rope "causes a leading line... to an out of focus person". Well, I understand WHY you're saying it but "normal" viewing is left to right... which leads from an out of focus person (not the subject) dramatically to a dramatic horse in motion. The vignette helps separate the horse from it surroundings.

In my opinion, the person out of focus gives the illusion (because we're in a 2D world) of depth. And that is one of the most important traits of photography.

I do agree that some of the "clutter" could be cloned out to improve "eye snap" to the horse.

- Wil

AllegrasStudio
11-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I LOVE that first image! All of them are very resonant! I don't do much in PPA comps so I can't help you with that.

Heather_L._Smith
11-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Okay, Paul... I have come back to this thread a million times and each time I have left without adding a comment. So, now I finally will... I actually don't think these images will pull high scores in comp. I have looked at your album of these images from the other thread a couple of times and I think those are fantastic as a set - they tell a really great story... as a set.

I have some of the PPA Loan Collection books at home and I frequently open them up for inspriation and to remind myself of what competition prints are all about. Should we try to shoot every assignment as we would a competition print? Sure! One could assume that we'd rake in more $$ if we did that. But I have been reminded many times that what flies with Mom doesn't necessariy fly in competition. And, while the merits and recognition are awesome from print comp, the 'green merits' and recognition from Mom are even better. At least I can cash those at the bank.

Now, all that being said, I could very well be wrong! It's also 100% true that you will learn SOOOO much about comp by actually competing. I've gotten more 78's and 79's than I can count... but by golly, I've learned a lot!!

Jeff_Dachowski
11-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Jeff,

I'm not sure why you say the rope "causes a leading line... to an out of focus person". Well, I understand WHY you're saying it but "normal" viewing is left to right... which leads from an out of focus person (not the subject) dramatically to a dramatic horse in motion.
Wil

Wil,
my graphic issue with this is that the brightest, or possibly the second brightest element of this entire image is the rope. The blown out lights of the garage door might be brighter. This being the case, you eye typically goes to the brightest object. So in a normal left to right view, you eye would travel across from left to right, but the brightness of the rope brings you right into a human, who is not likely the subject, and is in fact out of focus. Once there your eye ends up looking at the clutter.

I actually think this image could merit with a completley different presentation. Of course, this is my opinion, which when it comes down to brass tacks, I got nothing to back it up but my personal experience.

Paul, please forgive me for not asking first, but this is the direction I was thinking. Sorry it is so rough. I only had three minutes!!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/032edge_edges3.jpg

Jeff

Wil_Bloodworth
11-09-2007, 03:49 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the clarity. It makes perfect sense and I appreciate your opinion and thought.

- Wil

Keith_A_Howe
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Will
While interesting in a book for the client, I see issues that I feel would hold these out of the merit catagory. First image, too key holed of a vingette. I see the feeling of depth you are trying to show but there are so many distractions... Even if you take them away there are a few issues that I think will still hold it down. Crispness of the image - I know the horse is running and showing motion but in this lowres file I am struggleing to find a sharp point. I like the main flowing in the wind but the ears are half back and forward pointed ears (yes even when running) shows the horses interest and intensity which is a major part of (and one of the hardest parts of) horse photography.
Image 2 While very interesting we again have the ears problem, it appears that the girls face is blown out or a least has very flat light. Then there is the issue of the strong vertical lines of the corner of the stall that interupt the flow between horse and girl.
Image 3 While I understand the wide angle look and the story you were attempting, the flare caused by the light fixture onto the horse and through the image will make this a poor choice for a competition image.
By all means go ahead and enter. The reason we enter should be to learn and improve for our clients and ourselves. Be sure to pull the judges asside after the judging and ask for a 1 on 1 critique of your images as well as some of the others. If you can not find any judges ask any masters in your association for their opinions as well. It is important to talk to judges or masters one at a time so you can get the most imput. When you hear the same things over and over again, think of those points as the bits of gold information to use in the future.

JMOs Keith

Wil_Bloodworth
11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Keith,

I believe you meant to address Paul instead of me?

By the way, I agree with you on all points. Personally, I wouldn't enter the print in a competition. My only interest in this thread at all was the point about the rope leading from right to left.

- Wil

Keith_A_Howe
11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
I appoligize I ment to address Paul That's what happens when I try to do these things too fast.
Keith