PDA

View Full Version : "Totally Lovin' You"

Sherry_Piche
10-28-2007, 07:10 AM
This was shot at sunset, full setting sun.

Thoughts? Would this be competion worthy?

Thanks all!

Sherry

D._Craig_Flory
10-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi Sherry;

I see a low-key image with low-key clothing so that works well. I also see an image lacking in good shadows.

Here is how I see this presented. I "flipped" it so that our eyes enter from the left, go across, and encounter the subjects. I deepened it and added some shadows on the faces. I hope this helps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/LovinEnhanced.jpg

Laura_Beth_Bailey
10-28-2007, 05:14 PM
I have no experience with competition, but I like the emotion that you captured. They looked relaxed and "totally in love!"

I also like the way that Craig flipped it.

Dave_Cisco
10-28-2007, 05:14 PM
The "burning" is too obvious...her chest is, for all practical purposes, straight-on to the camera. This would be a tough sell to the judges.

Cheri_MacCallum
10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
I agree with Dave! The lack of directional light would do this image in for the judges. Another thing, we're looking right into her armpit which isn't particularly attractive. If the image hold up, a much tighter crop might work better here.

Keith_A_Howe
10-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I agree with Cheri and Dave, the image as it is would have a hard time making a merit. I really like the emotion between the two of them. I agree the lighting is flat but handled well ..... that flat lighting could be enhanced to become a more flattering lighting pattern. Craig was on the right track with burning to correct the lighting but in this situation if you flip the image it turns the attention to the man instead of the lady which the lighting and positioning makes the lady the main subject, so I would not flip the image. As Cheri suggested I feel (assuming the file will hold up) a dramaticly tight crop is in order here. Bring down the lighting, lens blur the edges leaving the mask of the faces sharpest (I would give the whole image a controled soft focus romantic look). Pop the skintones and keep it smaller on the presentation board. I hope you don't mind I did a rough hint of what I am suggesting to post here. The low res file limited what I could show but here it is. I personaly think it would have a good chance (making assumptions that the file is excellant, PS handled well and good print quality) of a merit.
Keith

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/couple.jpg

Mark_Levesque
10-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Talk about seeing the picture within the picture. Wow.

PhotogCraig
10-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I do like spot lighting on the faces, but when you have to take the other skin and try to darken it with photoshop tools it just does not look as good.

What I do for this type of situation, is make an adjustment for the skin to be exactly as you desire it to look on the arms neck and other areas, but make a adjustment, for just the faces, this can be done in several ways, by the way so pick the way that is best for you.

Adjustment mask

Marquee the area and adjust

Or make a second layer, adjust for the face area on the lower layer and erease of just a bit of the top layer to let through the brighter faces.

But to dodge skin just adds a gray or darkness that just does not look right.

Linda_Gregory
10-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Craig,

I agree, it should be gotten IN camera first but when you get that gray look, use your brush tool on color and choose the color of the skin next to it that it should be. Start on about 30% opacity and paint it in.

I work with tons of lousy photos---not all are mine. :D

Cheri_MacCallum
10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
I agree, it should be gotten IN camera first but when you get that gray look, use your brush tool on color and choose the color of the skin next to it that it should be. Start on about 30% opacity and paint it in.

There is a problem with doing that though! Picking one color to put back in, results in a flat pasty finish. In order to do this and look like real life skin you have to select different colors of skin to get it. Highlights, shaded side and shadow areas, all reflect colors differently.

Linda_Gregory
10-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Yes, of course, but hopefully it's a fairly small area.

You can also try to make a new layer and change the opacity to multiply and then mask out the areas you don't want dark to make the shading you want. It's tricky but the results can be pretty good.

Dave_Cisco
10-29-2007, 03:35 AM
There is a problem with doing that though! Picking one color to put back in, results in a flat pasty finish. In order to do this and look like real life skin you have to select different colors of skin to get it. Highlights, shaded side and shadow areas, all reflect colors differently.

...and I bet there are a few here who could detect even the best effort in a heartbeat....betcha Cheri would be one.:D :D

Cheri_MacCallum
10-29-2007, 04:15 AM
...and I bet there are a few here who could detect even the best effort in a heartbeat....betcha Cheri would be one.

You're too kind sir!!! (insert southern accent) :D

Don_Chick
10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Sherry; Here is how I see this presented. I flipped".....

Flipping the image (in this case) puts the Grooms boutonnière on the wrong side, at least thats how they do it up here in New England.

With a panel of judges at least one is bound to see that and bring it into question.

Linda_Gregory
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Ooh, I must preface...

I'd NEVER do such artwork for competition..at least my own. As a prolab that offers retouch, I would attempt to do what a customer asks to have done but would never recommend doing anything that involved for competition.

I would do-and have done-it for customer's 'regular' prints.

Richard_Dalton
10-30-2007, 04:21 AM
What is the #1 thing they will be looking for?
IMPACT

Does this image have impact? Not in my opinion. It looks like a whole lot of other images I've seen in the past couple years.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I've never entered, but I have watched the judging.

Sherry_Piche
11-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all of your comments. It's been a very busy week and haven't had time to reply but thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Keith - The file is pretty good and I loved your idea. Here is my attempt. I also love the emotion in this image and so did my client.

Thanks everyone!

Sherry

Dave_Cisco
11-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Take my advice with a grain of salt as I've never entered, but I have watched the judging.

...and you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.:D

Richard_Dalton
11-07-2007, 07:11 AM
...and you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.:D

I've not entered. Yet! You guys with ribbons know better how to "play the game".