PDA

View Full Version : Need a Title

Mark_G_Woods
10-28-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm going to local print competition tomorrow. Any ideas on a title for this image?

Keith_A_Howe
10-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Showed it to Holly - cause she is my title go to girl - she said
"Just Off the Beaten Path"
Keith

Tiffany_Schmitt
10-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Can't really tell what kind of tree it is, but if oak 'little acorn'

Just a thought.

Joseph_Miska
10-28-2007, 03:13 AM
I suck at titles, but I gotta say, I LOVE that image!

Mark_G_Woods
10-28-2007, 03:52 AM
I suck at titles, but I gotta say, I LOVE that image!

Thanks. I hope the judges do too. I keep thinking that the tree is so prominent that "tree" needs to be in the title.

Joseph_Miska
10-28-2007, 04:05 AM
I wouldn't have anything in the title about the tree. Part of the beauty of the image is how the tree is so critical to the composition, visually, but it disappears in so many ways, relative to the little boy. It's this big, looming dark form in the background but you check it once or twice, then focus on the foreground and forget it's there. To have anything in the title about the tree just reduces the drama of the image. I kind of like Keith's (or Holly's) idea "off the beaten path"

Mark_G_Woods
10-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks Joe. I hadn't looked at that way. I think you're right.

Rick_Massarini
10-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Holly hits another home run !!! "Just off the beaten path" is THE title for it !!! - IMHO

D._Craig_Flory
10-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi Mark;

I see a kid walking a path heading towards his secret area. My title idea is "The Explorer". I'm glad that you are a Master so you can use a slimline print ... since it fits the image.

Keith_A_Howe
10-28-2007, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't have anything in the title about the tree. Part of the beauty of the image is how the tree is so critical to the composition, visually, but it disappears in so many ways, relative to the little boy. It's this big, looming dark form in the background but you check it once or twice, then focus on the foreground and forget it's there. To have anything in the title about the tree just reduces the drama of the image. I kind of like Keith's (or Holly's) idea "off the beaten path"

Joseph Nailed it! The tree should not be in the title because while it is important to the composition you do not want to draw more attention to it. Normaly the sky and tree would be a draw back for me on an image like this but on this image I read in from upper left through the sky to the tree. Next my eye goes to the boy because of the (normally a problem) stripped shirt. The balance of the sky (light) and the tree (dark) helps the image because of the contrast in his shirt. Once you come to the boy and the path you forget the tree. To put the tree into the title would IMO take me back to the tree and away from the story.
Now of course I like Holly's title but in this case I really feel it fits, Just off the beaten path..... What would be normal for this image in competiton (the beaten path). Crop off the horz line and tree and hopefully have a slightly taller hill. Boy in red solid shirt walking the path. While the title fits because he is off the path, it fits also because we have (typically bad) striped shirt, subject in lower left with while winding a mostly vertical (line) path. The image it's self is off the beaten path. Hope someone can follow my rambling... typing... (I talk much better than I type).
Gotta run hope there are not to many typos!
Good Luck Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
10-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Hi Mark!

Funny, NOW I know who you are! I loved that image today!!

Mark_G_Woods
10-29-2007, 02:50 AM
Hey Jackie. Yeah same here now that I looked at your photo I think we past each other a few times today. I'll see you tomorrow and we can say hi face to face finally. Although I slapped a title on before I got all these great ideas the print died on the stand. Not because of the title, but I think because it still looked too light under the lights. It will have Holly's title next time ("Just off the beaten path") and be printed down. Although what I thought was my weakest print got an 86. One judge tried to push it down because of what he saw as digital cut and paste work. Funny thing is he kinda rambled about how I pasted together the image and he was completely wrong. The image was shot as he saw it. No cutting and pasting period. The only thing changed was the color of the water. It goes to show that we sometimes think that everything is photoshop. See you tomorrow.

Jackie_Haggerty
10-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Mark,

We can catch up tomorrow!! Print competition was very tough today, and was seen that way across the board (it's not just me making pouty lips about it!). One image hung today. Two of my images initially hung and then were talked down and didn't hang after all. The arguments about one of them was interesting though- the in studio shot w/ the girl in the fuzzy hood (it was talked down from an 82 to a 79), first off the title was read incorrectly. Apparently my posed studio image was determined to be done on location and I cloned her forhead. Funny to me! I don't know what the comments were on the other that was talked down, I wasn't in the room... I am kinda glad I don't know!

Oh well, though, I am pleased with the folio competition regardless. All of my folios did well and I am especially happy with one of them that received an 85.

See you tomorrow!!!!