PDA

View Full Version : Noobie needs help

Steve_Vandegrift
10-26-2007, 08:00 AM
I am a noob looking for input. (Booth good AND BAD are greatly appreciated.)
This image was very popular with mom and all of her friends, but may or may not be a competition-worthy image. Comments please....?
And, I think the impact is good, but I don't know how name it to add to the impact of the image. Again, comments appreciated!
Thanks to all...:)

Art_Wright
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
The bright orange jacket kills it for me. And is that your logo in the lower left?

D._Craig_Flory
10-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi Steve;

You wanted the good & the bad. Well, unfortunately, what I'm going to tell you is mostly bad. I see an image with the child way too big. "Kids need room to grow" in portraits. He is in the wrong position. You have no shadows on his face so it is flat instead of looking three dimensional. There is no impact and no story telling involved.

Starting with a cute child, in fall leaves, you could have easily had a merit winner. How, he asks ? If you had backed up about 8 to 10 feet. If you had the chlld being a kid and playing with the leaves ... throwing them in the air, rolling in them , or jumping into a pile of them. You would have had impact and a story to tell.

PhotogCraig
10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I am a noob looking for input. (Booth good AND BAD are greatly appreciated.)
This image was very popular with mom and all of her friends, but may or may not be a competition-worthy image. Comments please....?
And, I think the impact is good, but I don't know how name it to add to the impact of the image. Again, comments appreciated!
Thanks to all...:)

This image should merit very well, but I am talking green merit points from family members.

And I do agree with the other Craig on many of his points, but even a close up of a child can do fine if the expression is perfect.

The expression is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not the kind of expression that can win over the points that take away from this image.

The bright sweater is one, the lighting is the other, and the bit of room to move, if you are going to show the full body, as you did, then do what Craig said, back up even more to tell the whole story, and give the child room to "visualy" move.

Don_Chick
10-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Steve,

I think you have a nice client image here, one that the parents/relatives do/will love. However; for competition there are some elements that will keep it from meriting (scoring 80 or higher).

I am ok with the size of the child in this image. I think there is enough space around the face to make that aspect of it work. BTW, I've seen some images in New England this year where the child was a major part of the image and they still did very well. It all depends on the success with the 12 elements and the panel judging. There are 2 major elements that will keep this print from scoring 80 or higher. One is the lighting. Lighting is a major element because that's what we (as professional photographers) do! The lighting is too direct, lacking ratio. The second is the clothing. The red jacket is taking away from the subject. So could you change the color of the jacket and have a successful image.... Not likely (sorry).... Even if you successfully changed the jacket color you still have the issue with the lighting.

With all that said... If you've never entered print competition and you feel that this is your best image - enter it! You'll learn a great deal from the process and that in itself will help make you a better photographer.

Steve_Vandegrift
10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
The bright orange jacket kills it for me. And is that your logo in the lower left?
Logo? yes.
Jacket, I agree.