PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

Roxanne_Crouse
10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
I have never entered any of the competitions. I was wondering if this image would be good enough. I was thinking of calling it "a moment alone"
http://www.crousephotography.freehosting.net/_MG_7462bw.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
10-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi Roxanne;

First of all ... just entering for the 1st time gets you over a hurdle. Don't worry about scores or ribbons. Enter for the learning experience. Make sure, if it's an open judging, that you sit and listen to all that goes on. If they have a print critique make sure you ask to have any images you entered critiqued.

I see mixed keys. The dark doorway may hurt the score. If you added that ... take it out. When I squint at it my eyes go straight to that. They are pretty much centered but the composition is not crash point symetry so having them centered is not a good thing. His face is brightly lit while her face is in shadow.

I see an image that could score in the mid 70's & possibly up to about a 76 or 77 but no higher. And that is with changes in presentation. A step mount is called for to get them out of the center.

I'm sure others will chime in on this and I hope you get more help.

Keith_A_Howe
10-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi Roxanne
I like the setting that you chose here. The door frame is an excellant compositional tool to add attention to your couple. You have beautiful light coming through the door and striking the grooms face. There are some things you could have done to improve the image and that is what competition is about... learning how to improve our customers work.
I have to agree, I see a mid 70's image here. It is an excellant start at entering and learning. Here is what I see and a few suggestions . . .

First it is printed too light, even for an the infared look. I like the dark doorway framing the couple BUT I would burn in the door way behind the bride. I would then darken every thing except the dark doorway and the couple dramaticly. When you photograph this, try placing the bride a bit more to the camera right so that the dark area of the door goes down behind the veil and dress helping to seperate her from the background a little. As it is now all detail is lost in her dress and I believe there is a veil there but can barely see it. I would also have placed him on camera right and her on camera left so that the beautiful light was striking her face instead of his. Another thing - when photographing a couple - especially a bride and groom they need to interact more than just looking at each other. Hold on to each other or have him dip her and kiss, or have her gracefully touching his face etc. Then it looks like they love each other in stead of two strangers told to stand togeather and look at each other.
Mounting is better if you do a presentation like Craig suggested. Think of the presentation board (16x20) as the wall you are hanging the image on. You would want the image presented to have the most impact to the viewer when they would enter the room. Same with a competition print. Place the image on the board in the best composition to make the most impact to the viewer (judges). Some times that is large with just a lip of color around the image, sometimes it is smaller on the board and placed to give the image more drama. You as the maker have to decide what shows the image off to it's best. That is why the presentation is important.

Roxanne_Crouse
10-27-2007, 02:25 PM
I've actually done this shot a few times. I prefered the one above but here is another with the bride on the left. I did some of the tweaking you mentioned above to this one, this couple interacted with each other more. The position of the sun was different which is why I didn't like this one as much. They were more in shadow and more backlit than the other couple. I can of course darken it more if this is still not enough. I will actually be taking this same shot again today so I will try some of your sugestions to see if I can get it a better score.

Richard_Dalton
10-30-2007, 03:29 AM
The foreground stones in the wall are problematic for me. A real distraction. This may be a great spot for a dramatic night shot. Maybe girl or guy leaning back against the wall.... warm embrace.... tungsten light from above and behind them...

Cheri_MacCallum
10-30-2007, 05:28 AM
On the second image, the brides pose it a bit static. Have him bend her back a bit to get some motion and flow. Her arm is also straight. Bend her elbow slightly also to get some motion and flow. This area has great potential.