PDA

View Full Version : Folio samples

Tiffany_Schmitt
10-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Jackie started a great thread on Folios...I didn't want to highjack hers so I'm starting a new one.....Are there any more samples out there? I thought of doing one for our Fall state convention and after seeing what was there, I was glad I didn't. I think I would have been so embarrassed.

Come one everyone, let's see yours. Maybe I'll work up the courage to do one.

I never really knew about them until the last couple of months.

Tiffany

Tracy_McGee
10-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I would love to see and hear more about his also. :)

Anne_LeBouton
10-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Tiff,

I'll try to post the 2 Gary entered tomorrow. He only got red ribbons on them but that is still worth bragging about in the local paper. We just say he got 2 ribbons of excellence.

I can understand how you would feel intimidated by entering Wisconsin's folio competition. When you look at the names on the folios (Fuzzy Duenkel, Darton Drake, Carl Caylor, etc.) it can be scary but even those big names don't always score well. And it wasn't on of the big names that won people's choice for best male folio this year, it was someone who isn't very well known and hasn't been around long. You never know till you try how the judging will go.

I was disappointed that it was mostly the same people entering this year. I hope next year we can get more people to enter. There weren't as many entered this year as there have been in the past, probably because there was some confusion about the rules.

Tiffany_Schmitt
10-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi Anne,

I would love to see them. I wish I would have looked a little harder, but they weren't in the best place to stand and study...

Speaking of the rules, where do I find them? I haven't even been able to find the rules for IPPA for print judging.

Looking forward to seeing Gary's folios. I do remember seeing them and that they were very nice, but it would be nice to see them when there is a little more time to look.

Thanks, Tiff

Anne_LeBouton
10-24-2007, 12:59 PM
The WPPA rules are on the website. You need the username and password to enter (same one you use for the newsletter). I'm not sure where IPPA's would be, maybe on their website also or in their newsletter? Or contact IPPA's print chair. They should have them. We print FVPPA's in the newsletter so members have it handy.

Anne_LeBouton
10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/LeBouton/folio2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/LeBouton/folio1.jpg

Tiffany_Schmitt
10-25-2007, 03:31 AM
Thanks for posting that Ann. Show such a great variety. Gave me a little clue as to what to do...

I just put this together really quickly without putting too much time into to see if I am on the right track.

Let me know if I am correct here, but I am worried about somewhat of the same pose with her throughout. Her hair makes it a little difficult, plus she really has no interests that she wanted to add so it's just her and her smile....

I'm not set on the order, any suggestions to make it stronger? Are the blues too close to each other? Also is having just the one white one in there a bad idea. I can't bear to toss that image though. I really like that one.

Is there anything else I need to look for or am I really off base here?

I so know nothing about all this so any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Tiff

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/folio.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
10-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi Tiffany;

If you turned it upside down & squinted at it, the hi-key would stick out like a sore thumb. I'd pull that one out and replace it.

Anne_LeBouton
10-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Actually, I like the high key one. I think it's one of the strongest images in the whole folio. I'd get rid of the one below it. The posing is a bit awkward. I'd also rearrange them a bit to make the flow better. Otherwise, I think this would have got at least a red if you had entered it in Wisconsin, possible higher. Your on the right track.

Keith_A_Howe
10-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I disagree with removing the highkey in the upper right. It is balanced by the almost highkey in the lower left and the fairly light colored background in lower right. Also it is your strongest print IMO. Is the vignette around it done in PS or camera. If it is PS back it off a little. It is too strong and too defined. Also numbering across the bottom 5,6,7,8. On prints 5,6 & 8 I would like to see all of the hands. I am not against tight crops that eliminate hands or tops of heads but these cropped off hands are in awkward positions. On *8 I think it's important that you have the hands so you show she is holding on to something and not just sticking her hands up in the air. Looking again I would also like to see the hand on the railing in #1. Other than crop issues I think the lighting is good, the poses are good and varied. The expressions are nice and show smiles and serious and you have a variety of backgrounds. IMO it should do well.
Keith

Tracy_McGee
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Can I ask a question (I promise I'm not trying to hyjack the thread, but hated to start a new one for an easy answer question LOL)? What kind of Folios do you guys put these in? Would these go in the 10x10 leather folios that you open like a book without pages where you just peel and stick the 10x10 prints in the inside panels?

Cassandra_Sullivan
10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
That's exactly what I've used, Tracy.

Keith_A_Howe
10-25-2007, 01:35 PM
In NE you either use a 8 opeing folio with individual 3x5,4x5 or5x5 prints or you have the option of printing a 10x20 print with 8 images, mounted but no actual folio. Check your states rules.
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Keith;

I agree that it is her strongest image ... if it had a dark vignette. But I guess this is why panels have 5 judges and why the word "challenge" comes up often. Judges, with lower scores, can be convinced their score is too low by good comments from those who gave a higher score.

D._Craig_Flory
10-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Here are the folio rules for the PPAofPa for 2007:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/FolioRules2007.jpg

Anne_LeBouton
10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
These are the rules Tiffany would have had to follow this year. They may change next year with a different print chair.

Senior Composite/Folio Competition Rules

Eligibility
All WPPA members in good standing are eligible to compete in the folio competition.
Entries
The Senior Folio Competition is being combined with a Senior Composite Competition.

Only 2 entries will be allowed per photographer. To be considered for Photographer of the Year, one entry must be a boy and one must be a girl.

Acceptable format for entries are:
1. Commercially made folio holding at least 8 individual images
2. Commercially made folio holding composite panels
3. 12x20 inch composite - mounted as a regular competition print

A 12x20 inch composite may be horizontal or vertical format.

Commercially made folios must be a horizontal format to allow them to stay on the turntable for judging.

Commercially made folios must not be longer than 24 inches.

A minimum of 8 images of one person must be included in each entry. More images can be used; there is no maximum.

There will NOT be separate categories for traditional folios and composites. Because this competition reflects the real market, traditional photographers will be expected to compete with digital photographers and artists. Salability will still be taken into account. Students and their parents will still be invited to judge.

Awards will be given for:
1. Photographer’s Choice - Senior Boy (judged by photographers)
2. Photographer’s Choice - Senior Girl (judged by photographers)
3. People's Choice - Senior Boy (judged by non-photographers)
4. People's Choice - Senior Girl (judged by non-photographers)
5. Senior Photographer of the Year - Highest combined scores of one boy and one girl (judged by photographers)

Regarding duplication of subject for Fall State Competitions:
You may enter a single image of a senior in the photographic open competition, even if it is also included in your folio or composite. However, if you are entering a composite image, you may not enter the same composite in both competitions.

Judging
Each category will be judged separately. The same panel of judges that will be judging print competition will judge the folio competition. There will also be outside judges (i.e. high school seniors, moms, etc.). Judges will follow similar criteria to print competition (impact, creativity, variety, saleability, expression, posing, composition, color balance, uniformity, quality and presentation). Just as in print competition, no subject may be used in more than one folio

Tiffany_Schmitt
10-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Anne, thanks so much for posting that. I can't get onto wppa. I keep getting an error message. I'll try getting that taken care of soon...

Keith and D. Craig. Thanks so much for your insight. I will try working with them a little (lot) more and see what I can come up with...

Anyone else out there have some samples??? We would love to see them.

Thanks again, Tiffany

Don_Chick
10-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Something to consider...

Based on the arrangement that you show (and you mentioned that they were in no particular order) I would look at moving the white (top/right) image to the lower right position. Since its the most white image (to me) it has a lot of visual "weight". Take a peek at switching the two on the right and see how they look.
You might consider adding a bit of gaussian blur to the background of the image with the teal prom-dress. To me (looking at a 2 inch print) it seems a bit distracting.

I like the white image in the mix as it shows variety.

Nice job with the images & Good Luck!

Jeff_Dachowski
10-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Tiffany,
not to intentionally disagree with Craig, but I will submit that it is usually not appropriate to ever put a dark vignette on a white background. I do think that the image is strong, and the overall folio will likely score in the 78-80 range. I would place the one the outside one nearest to the girl in white, to lessen the contrast that is makes the white one seem to jump out.

I have won the folio awards the past two years, and will try to photograph them to show you. Sorry, it has been so busy with the studio, and speaking, I have not been able to get to it. Good luck.
Jeff