PDA

View Full Version : First time print competition

Tommie_Huffman
10-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Not sure if worthy please let me know.

I have now put up the original for you to see and tell me which one you like better.

Dave_Cisco
10-18-2007, 03:23 AM
I have to be politically correct and ask if that is a natural skintone or Lucis?

Mark_Levesque
10-18-2007, 03:36 AM
You know what they say. If you have to ask...

Dave_Cisco
10-18-2007, 04:09 AM
You know what they say. If you have to ask...

I can't afford it????:D :D :D

Mark_Levesque
10-18-2007, 04:32 AM
LOL. That, too. :)

Tommie_Huffman
10-21-2007, 06:01 PM
It is Lucis. Does that have something to do with whether it is print competition worthy?

Mark_Levesque
10-21-2007, 06:24 PM
It's no big deal, Tommie. Lucis is a very popular, if somewhat overused effect. I personally avoid Lucis simply because it has been so popular and has been so widely used. That's my own aesthetic, and being perfectly honest, there are times and images when I wish I had that option available to me. And indeed there are some quite artful uses of the filter. I just find for my taste it is a bit overused, and often in a heavy handed way. I really didn't think there was any question as to whether it was used on this particular image, which does not reflect one bit on the image's worthiness for entry in competition. I think it would be a fine idea to enter this in competition.

Tommie_Huffman
10-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Is there any critiques as far as style, composition, exposure that anyone can comment on as to how I can make it better for competition?
Thanks in advance.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
10-22-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm just wondering what you're going to name it... Also, the overall effect is nice, but his SHIRT seems too crisp to me. I think I would add a bit of blur to the bottom of the image or maybe lighten up on the Lucis here. The SHIRT looks more wrinkled every time I glance at it!

Joe_Galioto
10-22-2007, 02:20 AM
i much prefer the one on the right, which i asume is the original.
all it needs is a bit of brightening to the eyes.
the one on the left looks to fake for my taste, and a bit spooky.
sort of chucky ish.
joe

Dan_Leary
10-22-2007, 02:47 AM
Tommie,
I agree that Lucis is a bit overused (by a bit I mean alot). When I first started out, I watched a video by Vincent Versace. His theory was that if you could look at an image and tell where it was worked on in Photoshop, then it was no good... whether you were burning, dodging, cloning or adding a special effect. I have used Lucis on comp images but selectively and very specifically. For instance, my highest scoring print one of the judges commended me for the detail in the subjects clothing. A few minutes later, he said he was getting tired of every image having Lucis on it not realizing that I used Lucis to bring out the detail in the shirt he had just commended me for. And I never said a word.:D

Tommie_Huffman
10-22-2007, 03:45 AM
Thank you very much for the comments and suggestions. I will rework and title it and then repost!

Keith_A_Howe
10-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Tommie - you might also want to consider a smaller image presented on a background. A larger than lifesize image of the face is usually not a great idea on a child or baby. It's hard to tell here but it looks like when this is enlarged to 20x16 as it stands now the head would be about 10" tall.
Keith

Tommie_Huffman
10-22-2007, 04:13 AM
Here is reworked image. Is it to "photoshoped" still? I have a heavy hand. Any ideas for a title? Thanks in advance! (I will take signature off print before I submit!)

Tommie_Huffman
10-22-2007, 04:15 AM
I did not think of that! Back to the drawing board!!

Mark_Levesque
10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Tommie-

You might want to consider presenting this on a step mount rather than as a full bleed 16x20. That would address Keith's issue. You might also look at the original to see if you have any more room in the frame. It seems cropped in a little tight.

Tommie_Huffman
10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Not sure about quadrants. Is this correct placement?

D._Craig_Flory
10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Tommie;

I'm posting my version and hope it helps. I flipped' the image and made the image layer a good bit smaller. Now that I see it here I'd probably make the subject layer even smaller. He is now on the 3rd quadrant. The 3rd and 4th quadrants are used most often.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/ppaEnhanced.jpg

Tommie_Huffman
10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for all your help!

Keith_A_Howe
10-23-2007, 03:44 AM
Here is reworked image. Is it to "photoshoped" still? I have a heavy hand.
Tommie, IMO It is over retouched. You can get away with a heavier hand on retouching with girls than with boys. What makes the retouching stand out even more is the diff. between the boy and the setting and the soft light that is used. It could be the low res file but it appears that the lines under his right eye have been left too strong for this heavy retouch look (note, if this is the case,,,soften them but don't totally remove them as that will make the face look flat - lose deminsion). The all most porclin look of the boy doesn't seem to go with the environment. Maybe if it was indoors with the same feel to the background... Maybe then I would feel better about it but as it is I would have issues with the image.

Another Idea,,, Try cropping into the hat and slimming it down a bit. By doing this I feel like my eye is not bouncing around the image as much. My eye travels from the hat to the light spot in the lake and the shirt and then back up to his face. I tried it flipped but I feel that when it is flipped I read into his ear and it looks overly large and bright. I tried toning the ear down and it looked muddy. By keeping it the way you had it the ear becomes less of an issue. The impact is still held in the face and in one of the dominate intersections of the thirds.
Keith
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Untitled-1-1.jpg

Dave_Cisco
10-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Good call, Keith....I've been waiting for some objectivity.:)

Tommie_Huffman
10-23-2007, 07:43 PM
I am slowly getting it. Thanks to all for your information. Keith-If you want to write a book about competition I would love to buy it!!!

Don_Chick
10-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Keith-If you want to write a book about competition I would love to buy it!!!

I am sure Keith would do an excellent job writing the book, but while waiting for his book if you want to read another ...

www.amherstmedia.com and search for the book.. or Amazon has some used copies....

"Professional Photographers Guide to Success in Print Competition" by Patrick Rice

Tommie_Huffman
10-24-2007, 02:06 PM
I did not know there was such a book! Thanks!

Patty_Fox
11-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I would back off of the Lucis (just have a tad), then maybe see how it looks in sepia to get more of a vintage look. Right now, with the Lucis as it is, it makes his head look pasted on. Also, you might want to get rid of the logo on the shirt. I like how you brightened his eyes, but the whites look a little over done. Otherwise, cute!