PDA

View Full Version : I am ready to be Certified

lynette_bradshaw
10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello,

Just this morning, I made a decision that I am ready to become a certified photographer. Can someone tell me how I can begin to work toward this goal and what I need to do? I went to the ppa website and glanced at the info. Is the book really $95??? If it is does anyone have theirs for sale???:)

Thanks in advance

Keely_Deuschle
10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
I found mine on ebay for about $25 - 8th edition. Most listed are the older books, but if you keep looking, you may get lucky. You also may want to check with college book stores, too, to see if any have any used copies.

lynette_bradshaw
10-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks i will check there

Keith_A_Howe
10-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Contact your libraray. If they don't have it on the shelves often they can get it through an inter-library loan. We tried that when Holly was looking to become certified. the only issue was time. It was going to take severtal weeks to get the book in to our library.

Keith

Karen_Linsley
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Keely, congrats! Its a big step, but well worth it. I just got certified a couple of months ago. The entire process made me a better photographer. Expensive books aside, you will need to start arrangements to take the written exam, and submit your 20 images. While some think the online submission process is for the birds, I thought it was the best way to submit my images. I got lots of help from people on this forum. Post images and ask for feedback, and don't be afraid to send PMs also to get help.

Jim_Bolen
10-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Congrats on the decision, Lynette! I, too, am in the process of getting my certification. Like Karen, I did the online image submission. It was really easy, and not too time consuming.
Anyone have an idea how long it takes to find out if our images passed?

Jim_Bolen
10-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Karen-
Out of curiosity, I just checked out your site, but lo and behold, nothing on the front page about your certification. If you don't mind me making a suggestion, I think the Certified Photographer logo would look great in this location on your front page, to maybe spark the interest of a future client.
Just a thought.

Karen_Linsley
10-17-2007, 01:57 AM
That is on my list of things to do! Unfortunately, in the summer it is all I can do to keep up. Weddings just winding down as senior portrait sessions in full swing, plus holiday orders are starting to come in. January is the time when I revamp my web site, do new brochures, new marketing material, etc. I just don't have time in the summer. Thanks for the suggestion, believe me I have been thinking about it and if by chance I do find a spare moment that's one of the first things I'll be doing.

lynette_bradshaw
10-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I just looked at the certification information. The dates that it shows as the testing dates...are those the only dates that I would be able to take the test? and go to those states???

D._Craig_Flory
10-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Hi Lynette;

Last October, a photographer flew here to Pennsylvania, from Lake Tahoe California, to take the exam from me. On September 30th this year a photographer flew up from Alabama to take it from me. Both times they planned extra time and stayed for programs with our state photography association. You can take the exam any place it is scheduled.

You need to #1 contact and set up for an exam with PPA #2 contact the C.P.P. Liaison giving it so they plan for enough space.

I give the exam four times a year. The next time will be on Sunday February 10th, 2008. That will be at our state photography association meeting at the Penn Harris Radison Hotel in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. We will be having two excellent speakers on the 10th & the 11th .. Stewart and Susan Powers. www.ppaofpa.org is our assn. web site. I'll also give it in April and next October.

If you might want to come to Pa. to take it ... my studio e-mail is floryphotog@mindspring.com .

D._Craig_Flory
10-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Hi Lynette;

Just in case you haven't done so ... I'm attaching the list of Liaisons. It appears that the liaison for Texas only has an e-mail listed. You can check with liaisons from nearby states to see when they give the exam.

lynette_bradshaw
10-19-2007, 06:08 PM
thanks craig

Spencer_Boerup
10-19-2007, 09:15 PM
I drove to CA from AZ to take it, well worth it. It was easier than I thought, but the book really helped. I bought it new from Borders, about $108. It was a good refresher on filters, colors and film processes. Still give it a read when I want to read something (like IR film and stuff).

Online submission was a breeze. It was sad to see some of the online submitters didn't follow the instructions (did not include 20 images, or did not have them in the 8x10 format).

Good luck!

lynette_bradshaw
10-20-2007, 03:48 AM
I just learned that the next test in texas is in February...would that not be enough time for me to reasonably prepare for the test

Mark_Levesque
10-20-2007, 04:44 AM
If you have a working knowledge of exposure and understand digital capture to any reasonable extent, it should be more than enough time.