PDA

View Full Version : C&C Please

Nancy_Catherine_Walker
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm new to competition photography. Would these images stand a chance?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1082/1438529689_4bbc837b24.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1307/887933957_4573f6fde9.jpg

Dave_Cisco
10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I think they would have trouble...
Among other things, the wand(or whatever) in the 1st image gets lost in the BG, she has a pole coming out of her head, and she looks like she's standing in mud.
The 2nd image begs the question...Why? Why is she standing in the water?... in a formal dress?...holding a flower? It doesn't make sense.

Keith_A_Howe
10-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Nancy
Here is how I see them. It is a little hard to tell some details on the small files here.
The woodland fairy...
This image has very nice (short) light on the face. I see something on her cheek that I assume is some makeup design that adds to the fairy story. I like that you took her outdoors to fit the story as well. I have concerns about the background though. First the hot spot on the ground that you toned down doesn't look natural. I would like to have seen you blur the background and branches more with depth of field and focal length choices. The way it is - all those branches and tree trunks distract my eye away from the young lady (which is an excellant subject to work with). Next I would suggest that you consider using something else as the "wand" , the black roses leave a more dark depressing emotion on the viewer which is in contrast with her lovely expression.

Lady of the Lake

I like the concept. I like the control you used with her hair pulled around to one side and in this case holding you into her face. The lighting is pretty flat, it does have a bit of ratio but it would need to be enhanced. Bring the right side of her face down a ways. The way her dress in the water is reflecting it appears like a reflection spot or sun spot. Take it down as well. If you were to have the opertunity to re photograph this... turn her shoulder away from camera so she is not so flat to the camera. This would give her a more 3D form. Have her hold the rose with one hand much higher on the stem. As it is the dark green vert. line pulls the eye down and the line it's self feels stagnate. With the hand higher and the shoulders turned, the rose will then tilt toward camera creating another angleing line to add emotion to the image. Also the arm will hide part of the stem and make it less of a distraction.

On both of these images I see some color issues that may be because of the file size or actually be there. In a competition image you need to print the images down about 10-15% darker than you would normally to allow for the lights. This adds a lot of depth to the color and saturation of the prints and adds to the overall impact.

JMO Keith

Nancy_Catherine_Walker
10-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. These are two that I get a lot of comments on from others, but feared that they wouldn't hold muster in a competition. The good news is my instinct was right.

Back to the drawing board for me.