PDA

View Full Version : C&c

Sherry_Piche
10-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Love this image, but feel close to it. Need my peers to C&C.

Calling it

"Yester-year"

Thanks,
Sherry

Kathy_Malaspina
10-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Its really cute...wonder what Sepia would look like...with the old timey feel it has...i know mom loves it.

Keith_A_Howe
10-12-2007, 03:44 AM
Sherry
I'm sure the mother loved it and it would be a great image to make large on the wall in the studio. However IMO it was photographed at the wrong time of day. Lots of blotches in the background and on the ground. Looks like he has one eye squinted a bit. His face is abit too centered. It might be better as a vert mounted on a horz board keeping him to the left. I still feel it will fall in the 76-79 (above average) catagory.
JMO Keith

Sherry_Piche
10-12-2007, 04:00 AM
The face is hard to see in such a small image. Eyes are open. I had GREAT light, and only used a reflector for fill for the face.

I agree light in b/g is speckled, but afterall, I am shooting for a natural and realistic image.

Sherry_Piche
10-12-2007, 04:04 AM
PS. Thanks for the comments.

D._Craig_Flory
10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi Sherry;

I agree with Keith. If this had been created at dusk, or dawn, it would have been much better. Also ... the outfit is light in a low key situation.

As for the eyes ... after I saw your close crop I saw that the child have one eye a good bit smaller than the other and that's why Keith though he saw squinting. You can correct that, in Photoshop, using Liquify.

Try re-working it in Photoshop taking down the contrast, and density, on the background as well as blurring it. I'd also deepen the clothes so they go better in a low key scene.

When creating for a client, try creating some for competition. We need to create a bit differently for competition than we do for clients. If a client complains just tell them it's costing nothing more and that your are just letting your creativity flow.

Linda_Gregory
10-12-2007, 12:46 PM
This brings up a question for me, this is a wonderful outfit. Is there any way you can use this outside (light on light) for competition?

Making the grass light and dreamy such as I've seen for flouncy dresses on girls would seem out of context for a boy.

D._Craig_Flory
10-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi Linda;

Yes, she could go more towards hi-key with this. I'll give some thought to presentation after I do some senior portraits in Photoshop and upload them to the lab.

Linda_Gregory
10-12-2007, 01:17 PM
D. Craig,

I'm thinking more along the lines of when photographing, not post production. Ideas?

D._Craig_Flory
10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi Linda;

A good normal example is beach portraits ... white, or pastel, clothing against the light color sand.

To do it in a spot like this image would take precise syncro-sun exposures. You would have to #1 blow out the background #2 use a hi-key vignetter over the lens (or a large piece of screen between the subject and the background with a wide open aperature) #3 either a strong reflector or a light stand mounted flash at a 45ยบ angle with a diffuser over it to bring light intensity on the face up to the background.

Joe_Galioto
10-12-2007, 04:36 PM
sherry,
it's a beautiful portrait.
some of the comments here apply to print competition and thats fine.
but as a client portrait, it's great the way it is. the lightings nice and the splashes of sun in the background feel natural.
make up a studio sample.
every photo doesn't have to conform to the narrow guidelines of compitition.
what a bore that would be. when i was working on my masters, i too bent over for the judges!
day in-day out, is not about competition, it's about pleasing your clients and yourself as an artist. and collecting green ribbons!
joe

Linda_Gregory
10-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Joe,

Definitely! I LOVE this image. But she has posted in the comp critique area so that's the type of feedback she's getting. That's why I'd like to hear from some of how they'd set this up with this light colored clothing to make a comp print.

Auralee_Dallas
10-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Sherry, if this image was of my child, I would be thrilled and buying a big canvas wall portrait. I love the "sun spots." They can be toned down a bit if need be.
Linda has a great question about how to do it another way and also the point being is that all the feedback was made as to how it would do in competition. Try it on the local level and get some more feedback there.

Sherry_Piche
10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Mom will see it tomorrow.