PDA

View Full Version : First submission?

Todd_Reichman
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Hello all,

I'm really promising myself that I'll submit to our local and national competition after missing WPPI's 8x10 competition again. Please let me know what you think about this image for comp.

I like the "impact" of this image. I'm concerned about the blown sky over her shoulder, the cut off elbow, and the relatively tight crop. Anything else I'm missing to be concerned about? Is that too many things wrong to bother submitting this particluar image?

Thanks for any opinion/insight you can provide.

- Todd

KristiSanger
10-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Sorry Tod, I can't help with the comp stuff. But that is a very cute picture =)

Kristi Sanger

Keith_A_Howe
10-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Please let me know what you think about this image for comp.
I think it has potential

I like the "impact" of this image. I'm concerned about the blown sky over her shoulder,
So am I - a little. But crop some and you will eliminate most of it and balance to the rim light on the opposite side of her face.

the cut off elbow,
I have no problem with that elbow ( her right arm?) I think you should crop just ahead of her thumb on her left arm which eliminate some of that sky behind her. And then crop from the left side of the image to eliminate the fence post. The image itself will then be almost square. Place it within the 20x16 so her eyes are in the upper right intersection of thirds.

and the relatively tight crop. Not a problem in this image.

Anything else I'm missing to be concerned about?

print the image darker, enhance her eyes, make sure the top of her head isn't blown out, tone down the pattern in her dress. Lastly, get a killer title that tells the story - a little girl in an urban setting - probably run down low income area by the dilapidated look of the fence. She has no safe place to play. Maybe a title like "Nowhere to Run" Not sure that is quite right but gives you an idea of what I am thinking.

Is that too many things wrong to bother submitting this particluar image?

No

Keith

Todd_Reichman
10-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for your comments Keith, It sounds like a much tighter crop and some PS adjustment.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

- TRR