PDA

View Full Version : Who passed ???

D._Craig_Flory
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi group;

I gave the C.P.P. exam to 5 photographers on September 30th. So far, one has contacted me to say they passed. So, how many recently passed the exam ??? (I'm not allowed to say who passed so I don't jinx their image submission passing) So .. all around the country, and the five I tested, who recently passed the exam ???

Will_Zyle
10-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I received confirmation that I passed the CPP exam and the image review.
However, I got a score of 76% for the exam...I thought I would have done much better than that?
So I'm disappointed because in reality I got a 1/4 of the exam wrong.
I thought I had better understanding of the mechanics of photography?
I did not study for the exam (my fault) I figured I knew enough.

Next time I will prepare a lot better though.

In truth, I was more worried about the image review because that is so subjective.

Does anyone feel this way when they find out their results?
Sorry to whinge about it.
:cool:

Lori_Clapp
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Whewww, I thought someone had died...

D._Craig_Flory
10-10-2007, 09:05 PM
I received confirmation that I passed the CPP exam and the image review.
However, I got a score of 76% for the exam...I thought I would have done much better than that?
So I'm disappointed because in reality I got a 1/4 of the exam wrong.
I thought I had better understanding of the mechanics of photography?
I did not study for the exam (my fault) I figured I knew enough.

Next time I will prepare a lot better though.

In truth, I was more worried about the image review because that is so subjective.

Does anyone feel this way when they find out their results?
Sorry to whinge about it.
:cool:

Hi Will;

Congratulations on being a new C.P.P. !!! You only need 70% correct so you won't need a "next time".

Will_Zyle
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Thank you very much Craig.
By 'next time' I mean, when I need to recertify.
Its going to bug me now for 5 years...lol:D

D._Craig_Flory
10-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Thank you very much Craig.
By 'next time' I mean, when I need to recertify.
Its going to bug me now for 5 years...lol:D

Hi Will;

As long as you attend at least 50 hours of instruction over the five years ... that's all you need. I attend 10 days a year at our state photography association as well as any Super Mondays etc. and don't worry about taking the exam.

Tracy_McGee
10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Congratulations on the CPP title, Will! Thats great! :D I would be like you with disappointment in a score less than what I would have been happy with. But, I'll say the same as the President of the bank I used to manage said when he lectured me about being really, really disappointed (so much that I didn't want to take the next accounting class under that same instructor, but HAD to) at ranking 2nd in my accounting class with a 99.75 when the girl who for some bizarre reason got ranked as 1st did so with a 99.25. :p He pointed to the degree and CPA credentials on his wall and said "is this impressive? Well, do you see a GPA anywhere on this? Or do you just see that I accomplished what I set out to do?" So, the moral of my drawn out story is, enjoy your accomplishment. You have every reason to be proud and no reason to look back at what you could've done differently. So congratulations on accomplishing what you set out to do. And display those credentials with pride! :D (Of course this comes from someone who will still sulk if I don't get the scores I want once I sit down to take the CPP exam......... so I guess for today I'll be the pot LOL!)

Stacey_West
10-12-2007, 04:16 AM
in reality I got a 1/4 of the exam wrong.And you got 3/4 of the exam correct. Seriously, congratuations.

I did not study for the exam (my fault) I figured I knew enough. You figured right - you did know enough; you know more than enough to pass the exam and you proved it. Sure, who wouldn't want a higher score; but your score may very well not be a true reflection of your photographic knowledge.

Mark_Levesque
10-12-2007, 05:05 AM
It's just a number. I think we'd all have preferred a higher number. But in the end, the score is a secondary effect. You either have a base level of competence, or you don't. Does it really matter whether you've gotten a gaudy score or not? If you got a 98, would it make your photography better? Really?

Look. It's a good test for what it is. There are some questions which could be worded more precisely. There are some areas which could be explored more completely, and some which could be explored to a lesser extent. Get your pelt and move on. Work on your artistry. You now know you have the tools to get the job done. Address each challenge as it arises.

It's nice to get a score, but there's really not a lot of practical difference once you get to a certain point. You have a credential now. Accept it for what it is, and leverage it to make better photographs.

R._Scott_Weldon
10-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Well I've passed the written part of the exam, now on the print submission.
Thanks for asking.

D._Craig_Flory
10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Well I've passed the written part of the exam, now on the print submission.
Thanks for asking.

Hi Scott;

I wonder if you passed it because I was the one who gave you the exam ? :p

R._Scott_Weldon
10-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Scott;

I wonder if you passed it because I was the one who gave you the exam ? :p

Well after I handed you that unmarked envelope...... could it be????

D._Craig_Flory
10-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi Scott;

You passed on your own. That envelope only held a dollar bill .. so I had a cup of coffee. ;)

For those that don't know. The liaisons / proctors get the exams from PPA ... sealed. Those taking the exam open them. Once completed, we put a seal over the opening - and never see any answers given. (PPA opens and grades them) I couldn't tell you the last decade I actually saw one ... probably when I took it in 1986. I don't think there are too many questions any more about 4X5 film and notching codes now & certainly none on black and white darkroom stuff. :p

Will_Zyle
10-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Absolutly right!
No need to get hung up on a number (or result).
Thank you for all your valuable advice, much appreciated.

From the other side of the world
Take care & regards

Will Zyle
oh.......I forgot....... CPP........lol:D :D :D

R._Scott_Weldon
10-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Hi Scott;

You passed on your own. That envelope only held a dollar bill .. so I had a cup of coffee. ;)

Craig I'd buy you a cup of coffee anytime.
I learned most of this stuff over 20 years ago and have been working, and learning, in the field most of the time since. I didn't study cuz I figured that either I knew this stuff or I didn't (Thank goodness I knew enough).
I don't know when the next print review is, but I received my account info to upload images when I find the ones I want to submit.
Thanks,

R._Scott_Weldon
11-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Marisa Pitts has informed me that the next CPP image review deadline will be February 8th, 2008. FYI

D._Craig_Flory
11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Marisa Pitts has informed me that the next CPP image review deadline will be February 8th, 2008. FYI

Hi Scott;

For you , and everyone else looking to upload images ... the upload link is closed at this time. It will re-open for everyone to upload and send images in Late December & in January.

Jennifer_Grigg
11-13-2007, 12:36 AM
First post:)!

I took the test and passed here in Utah. I thought I could upload anytime, but if I mailed in prints they would only be judged once a year.

Do I need to wait until the end of December to upload? I thought digital submissions would be judged anytime of the year.

D._Craig_Flory
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi Jennifer;

You can't upload them now. The mechanism is closed now till closer to the next judging in early February. They judge prints once a year and digital submissions three times a year. So have them ready to upload and do it in the beginning of January.

D._Craig_Flory
11-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi group;

I got my C.P.P. Liaison e-mail newsletter yesterday. It said that PPA is hoping that 2008 is going to be a banner year for certification. The new tests were well received as is the on-line submissions for images.

We were all asked for a list of the dates, and locations, we will give the exam in 2008 and I sent my four dates: February 10th / April 20th / June 8th and October 5th. All will be at PPAofPa meetings / programs & all will be given at 10:30AM. I welcome non-state member & out of state photographers. I've given the exam to photographers from California and Alabama plus state surrounding Pennsylvania.

If anyone is interested e-mail me at floryphotog@mindspring.com .

Jennifer_Grigg
11-22-2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks Craig. Is there a thread that I could get a pre upload critique in this forum? With Thanksgiving tomorrow, (turkey thawed,) and Christmas, I might not have them ready for awhile, but I am anxious to get opinions.
Happy Thanksgiving!

D._Craig_Flory
11-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi Jennifer;

Start a new thread and ask for opinions on your images. This is a busy time of year but I hope enough people get to see them and offer opinions and suggestions.